0 comments

Crime Sad

The alarms start going off and I fling my head around quickly to see if anyone sees me. I can’t see anyone right now, but I start to load my bags faster. They will be here soon. I should’ve brought more than two bags, but it’s too late now. I pick them up and make a move for the exit when I hear them. The sirens, the lights, flashing red and blue. Of course they’re here. I knew I wouldn’t have much time, and now look what’s happened. I’ve gotta for another way out.

The squealing of the megaphone outside can just barely be heard above the alarms and sirens. “We’ve got you surrounded! Come out with your hand up!”

My mind starts fogging up from the fear and adrenaline, and I can no longer think straight. A way out, I keep telling myself. Look for a way out. I see a vent on the ceiling. I have no choice. They might not see me in the dead of night.

The doors barge open and I can hear them yelling things at me and each other. They are going to find me. They might find me. They might not if I stay very still, so still I almost forget to breathe. I can hear a conversation below.

“Do you know where they may have gone? We’ve looked all over and can’t find a trace.”

“They cant have gone far. Don’t stop looking until you’ve found them!”

I can now see the sun through the cracks of the shaft. Its morning. I’ve been in here for about four hours. I can still hear the cops, but they aren’t as enthusiastic as they were when they first arrived. The radio is going off all over the place below me and it’s saying to come back to the station, that they’re probably long gone by now. It takes them another thirty minutes to leave.

I slowly leap down from my place and walk cautiously. I leave out the back door and head down the dark and cold alleyway. I wish I brought a sweater. I find the backpack I left out here behind a dumpster. I couldn’t go on the streets with two bags chocked full of money while the police were still out there.

I jump into an empty dumpster and pull out my flashlight that was in the backpack. I begin to count the money to see how much I have and still need. $8,640. That might be enough. I put it in the backpack along with the sacks and the flashlight. I hop out and head down the street.

I’m not a hundred percent sure where I’m going yet, but I need to move. I keep my head down and pull out my airpods from my pocket. I put them in and pretend to listen to music, but keep it quiet. I need to hear what’s going on. I keep walking. The wind ruffles my long sleeve shirt and the brisk air makes my whole body shiver.

I start thinking on my next move from here. I need to go somewhere. I settle on a busy part of town. It might be a bad move, but I can easily get lost in the people. I try to ignore the world while paying attention. I can’t attract attention to myself.

I push a button to cross the busy streets. Living in New York is nice for a few reasons. It’s a busy place with a lot of businesses close by. Bad is that the people aren’t always nice and money is hard to come by.

The stoplight turns red and the crosswalk light turns green, and I head across. I’m almost there. Just a few more blocks to go before I can lost in a crowd. Police cruisers head in every direction, but that’s normal for around here. I keep low and look down. I’m not far.

I now know where to go. I keep heading in the direction I was before. I can’t turn around, or that would make me look weird and stand out.

I hit a big crowd and walk with them. No one is talking to each other, so I fit in well. We come another crosswalk, and we all hurry while the light is still green. People are everywhere. Busses and cars and police are coming and going in every direction. I hear sirens again and it makes me jump, but when I turn, I realize it’s just an ambulance. I know they have different sirens, but I can never tell them apart. It goes by and we all continue walking.

I see a taxi pulling up, so I signal it over. I have some money in my pocket, so I won’t need to go in my backpack full on money and risk them seeing it. The yellow car pulls over and lets me in. I put my backpack in the back seat and sit down.

The driver is a young man, about thirty-five or so. He has black hair and green eyes. “Good Morning. Where are we going today, good sir?” His voice is quiet and gentle.

I wave a little and offer him a smile. It’s a shaky one, but a smile nonetheless. “Over to the hospital would be great.”

I have been with a lot of taxi drivers before. Some are quiet and just drive you to where you need to be. Some, not so much. This man was one of them. I don’t mind. I need someone to talk to right now anyways.

He starts us off. “Why are you going there? If you don’t mind me asking.”

I don’t look over at him, but I answer anyways. “My father is there. I need to visit him.” I feel like I can trust this man, even with the truth of my travels. I take a deep breath. “He has been sick for quite some time now. I feel like I need to say hi”

“That’s nice of you.” He replies. “It can be lonely in there sometimes. My wife is a nurse there and hears their stories. A lot of them just want someone to talk to.”

We pull onto the interstate. I take a glance out the window and can see my blond hair and blue eyes in the reflection created. I start to get lost in thought when the driver pulls me back.

“My name is Suko, by the way. I understand what you’re going through. My mother was also very sick. It’s hard when there’s nothing you can do.”

I look at him while he watches the road. He stays emotionless. “My name is Roger. My dad was always there for me, and I feel the need to give something back. I- I have been saving money for a while now. I may have enough to treat him. I already lost my mom, and I can’t lose him too. ”

My eyes start tearing up. My father was the greatest man I have ever met, and I never appreciated him like I should have. I had no choice but to rob the bank. My gut and heart would never have forgiven me if I lost him. We drive along, Roger and Suko, on our way to make things right once and for all.

November 17, 2020 22:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.