I'm Well Enough to Know - Or am I?

Submitted into Contest #252 in response to: Make a character’s obsession or addiction an important element of your story.... view prompt

12 comments

Horror Romance Contemporary

We had Janine and Bill round yesterday, not that I wanted them in the house. I couldn’t tell John no, but what was he thinking? The last time we were on the verge of separating, he told me it was as though he and Janine had known each other all their lives. It’s not that I’m in love or anything, he’d said, not that I’d asked.

John’s at work and so I’m writing in the kitchen. I don’t really want to sit at my desk in the bedroom – it throbs with last night, with the echo of John’s voice, and despite the tall windows, the sun on the floorboards, it feels dark. I know it doesn’t make sense, not really, nothing I do or say seems to.

It’s a peculiar feeling to sit here, though, at the kitchen island knowing we were all gathered round last night. The empty wine bottles sit beside the bin, the glasses by the sink half-empty with red. I’ll have to clean those before John gets home. Anything to reduce his stress. He almost cried this morning. I don’t want my colleagues to see us like that. So, he does have feelings – sometimes I wonder…

I hop off the stool and squeeze Fairy onto a sponge, snatch up the glass stained with red lipstick – hers.

“Fuck, marry, kill,” Janine said last night. “[Female colleague], [female colleague], and me.”

Bill raised his brows and lifted his glass to his lips – she hadn’t posed the question to him, the other singleton.

“I’d kill [female colleague],” said John. “I’d marry [female colleague] and I’d…”

Bill chuckled into his glass, a turtle withdrawing into its shell.

I wipe her lips from the glass… pick up another. I don’t know why she had to dangle him in front of me. I don’t think it’s John’s fault, either, but why would he allow such blatant disrespect? I don’t know if men play dumb or if they genuinely don’t understand women. The third glass. More red wine down the sink like coughed up blood. I was tempted to tell John about mate choice copying but didn’t, that would only hurt his feelings. I wish he understood, though, I wish he understood what he has – just as I understand how lucky I am to have him.

The problem, he said this morning, is that you don’t trust me. But I trust him with all my heart. He’d never do anything to hurt me, and I know it.

The hot water rushes over my hands as I rinse the fourth glass, and I’m tempted to run the sponge over my body, to scratch away the layer of skin that carries John, to sparkle clean, transparent, empty. I love him and I know it’s wrong to feel what I’m feeling, but it feels as though I’ve had a parasite inside me.

This morning, I had to regulate both of our emotions – mine and John’s. Leave, he kept telling me to leave. The house is under his name.

I don’t feel safe when he says things like that, it’s like he doesn’t care about me. Sometimes, I feel like I’m talking to a great big knot of defence mechanisms. It isn’t him – it isn’t him when his eyes go dark, when the last of the embers go out. It’s as though he’s carried away with that last thread of smoke and I don’t know who the charred wood is, the ash.

Maybe that’s why the bedroom feels so dark. He’s yelled at me before, but not like last night. I don’t know who that man was, that man gesticulating at the foot of the bed, the man climbing onto it, the man yelling in my ear. It was the first time I thought he might actually hit me. It was the first time I realised he wasn’t safe.

I wonder what Janine and Bill said. I could hear them outside, the three of them, the light switches, the whispers, the movement as I lay in the ringing silence.

I don’t know what to think, really. This morning, after he calmed down, John apologised for having yelled. I could have fainted with relief. He said he could have been more supportive when I was crying – I’d left the kitchen after Janine’s comments, I’d broken down in our ensuite.

Before he went to work, though, after we made love, he said yelling at me was setting boundaries as he fastened his new leather belt – a Secret Santa gift from a colleague. I never questioned it; I never questioned it until now. I know I’m unwell, I know I’m emotional – I mean, he’s told me a hundred times. But I think I’m well enough to know the yelling wasn’t warranted; I’m well enough to know that this time, at least, my feelings are valid; I’m well enough to know that something is very, very wrong.

Unless this is just another maladaptive behaviour. What if I’m running from love, not John, because I think I’m undeserving? Am I well enough to know? I mean, I’ve been suffering bouts of paranoia; sometimes, I even think he’s hacked my phone. The world’s a scary place when you can’t trust your own perception, and after last night I can’t trust John’s either – not anymore.

But I’m drinking my coffee out of a mug he made me in ceramics. He loves me, I know he does, but how can I help him when he thinks I’m the problem? when he’s convinced me of it, too? It can’t have been intentional, though. It’s a defence mechanism, it must be. He always pushes me away when he’s hurting, always leaves me. He doesn’t mean it, he says, but it feels real to me. You never know what the last straw will be; if I say this, if I do this, it’s done. It’s fragile what we have. It’s this mug that, upon being fired, very well could have exploded into pieces but didn’t. We’re in the kiln, so to speak, and the question is whether or not we’ll come out intact. And it all makes sense now – only I can stand the heat, only I can love him out of it.

May 31, 2024 18:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Patricia Moffett
09:07 Jun 06, 2024

I was invited to comment on this story as part of Reedsy’s Critique Circle initiative. So my comments will be much harsher than if I was just swinging by to pop a Like on. Criticisms ‘I couldn’t tell John no’ I think the ’no’ needs to be clearer that it’s quoting what she said to John. I re read a couple or times before I was clear what was being said. Just to get everything established, again some more clarity: “The last time we were on the verge of separating, he told me it was as though he and Janine” maybe change to “The last time we ...

Reply

Carina Caccia
11:09 Jun 06, 2024

Hi Patricia, thank you for all the feedback and your tact delivering it! Definitely some things to consider there. A fresh set of eyes always helps, so thank you for your time and effort. As for the positives, I'm so glad to hear it! It's challenging to portray covert control/narcissistic abuse because it is so insidious, and how does one articulate this intangible thing? I, like our narrator, could cry from relief because you picked up on it which means that it does come across. Thank you for your investment in our narrator! It really does ...

Reply

Patricia Moffett
13:21 Jun 06, 2024

I wanted also to add that I can't stop thinking about your image of the slats of light in the bedroom - it makes a real birdcage of the room. It's fantastic.

Reply

Joseph Hawke
10:34 Jun 07, 2024

Agreed, great metaphor (birdcage)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Carina Caccia
14:31 Jun 06, 2024

What beautiful imagery, Patricia! I wish I could include it explicitly, but our narrator doesn't know she's caged. With the tall windows and sunlight, I personally imagine a glass dome (the kind one puts flowers in) and the illusion of freedom.

Reply

Joseph Hawke
10:39 Jun 07, 2024

Also a great image (glass dome) Which begs the question: Is the notion of “freedom” itself an illusion? Are we in some sense locked into an inevitable determinism, and does the concept of free will become a necessary societal fiction for maintaining some degree of order and accountability, on the one hand, and a story we tell ourselves individually so that we don’t “give up and throw in the towel,” so to speak, on the other hand?

Reply

Carina Caccia
13:44 Jun 07, 2024

It's so funny that you mention free will and determinism as I was thinking about it just yesterday. I do believe in free will and I trace it back to the concept of superpositions, that Schrödinger's cat can be both alive and dead at once. Both outcomes exist but measurement collapses the wave function and gives us one of two outcomes – this outcome becomes the prevailing truth, i.e., reality. Before the collapse of the wave function, however, two things were true: the cat was alive and dead in a superposition. When making a measurement, or c...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Joseph Hawke
22:05 Jun 05, 2024

Really enjoyed the power-and reality-of the emotion in this story Carina. Excellent use of ambiguity, self-doubt, personal insecurity, and economic reality, that swirl in the narrator’s mind.

Reply

Carina Caccia
11:31 Jun 06, 2024

Hi Joseph, I love that you've described it as a "swirl." The cognitive dissonance experienced in circumstances like these really is dizzying, a swirl in one's mind. Thanks for the comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.