Rendezvous at the Road-Side Diner

Submitted into Contest #110 in response to: Set your story in a roadside diner.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Drama Fiction

“I just can’t go.” Jennifer is suddenly panicked, trembling. Anxiety consumes her. It doesn’t feel safe or make sense for her to keep the date when signs point to danger. Michael asked her out a week ago when she met him at a singles event. He seemed nice, was darkly handsome with coal-black eyes, and a head of thick wavy black hair, well dressed and extremely polite. It seemed like a good idea to meet at a road-side diner just outside town. Now, she doubts her spur of the moment decision. She recalls too many stories from friends about meeting someone once and agreeing to go out with them. When they do it turns into a disaster and becomes difficult and/or scary to end the acquaintance. 

Michael is waiting at the diner on the agreed-upon day and, after an hour of drinking alone, Jennifer doesn’t show up. He tries to call, but she doesn’t answer the phone. He doesn’t have her address so has no idea how to reach her. Anger overcomes him. He begins to contemplate how to make her pay for deserting him.

The next weekend, he hangs around outside the event center where they first met, keeping out of sight while watching for her. Michael’s fury is mounting as he waits, smoking one cigarette after another. As he stamps one out, he spots her arm in arm with a girlfriend. He waits until she comes out a few hours later and follows her home.

Silently creeping up behind her as she opens her door, he demands “Where were you?” “I waited for hours for you to show up. What happened? Did you meet someone else you liked better? I’m coming in so don’t try to keep me out.” She struggles to shut the door, but he overpowers her. Inside, he grabs her, assaulting her. When she starts to scream, he clamps his hand over her mouth, quickly stuffing his handkerchief inside it. “Did you think you could just ignore our date and leave me hanging? I’ll show you what happens when you desert me.” He throws her onto the bed. The cloth slips out of her mouth. She lets out a blood-curdling scream. Suddenly the police and the neighbors are there breaking down the door. Michael is handcuffed and led away, but not before screaming threats and insults at her.

Trembling uncontrollably, Jennifer manages to sit up and accept help from the neighbors who have remained. One of them, a young girl about Jennifer’s age, takes control. She straightens up the bed, closes the damaged door as best as she can and promises to have a repairman there ASAP. “My name is Patricia. I live upstairs. Stay with me until the door is fixed. I have fresh home-made chicken soup we can have so come on up. We’ll get acquainted while you settle down.”

As they sip the delicious soup, Jennifer says, “This is the best soup ever. Thanks so much for your kindness. I didn’t know him at all but met him at a singles event and he asked me out. I made the date but got nervous about it. My intuition told me something wasn’t quite right, so I just didn’t show up. Big mistake. I never expected this to happen.”

Just then, the repairman knocked on the door to say Jennifer’s door was fixed with a new deadbolt and a peephole. Jennifer paid, thanked him, and turned to go. “Thanks again, Patricia. I need to get back home, get a good night’s rest and be ready to go to work in the morning. Let’s get together when you have time. I’ll be okay now. Thanks again.”

When Jennifer walks into the office, her supervisor jokingly asks, “What happened to the other guy?”

Shaking a bit, Jennifer described the attack, adding, “I’m fine. I can work, thanks anyway.” But as the day wore on, by noon she was still shaking so she left early. The weekend ahead provided needed time to rest and recover.

Terrified to leave her apartment, she calls Patricia upstairs to see if they can get together. When Patricia comes into the apartment, she suggests they go out for a drink. “I’m ready for some relaxation.”

As they are getting into the car, they notice a man standing in the shadows behind a bush, smoking. “Do see that guy?” Jennifer questions.

“Yes, I think he lives in the next block. I see him sometimes at the coffee shop around the corner. Seems innocent. Let’s go, I’m famished for a drink, snacks, and loud music.”

Not noticing a car following them, they drive to a small neighborhood tavern, park the car, and go in. It is crowded, music blaring, people dancing.

“Looks like a fun place.” Jennifer comments.

“Yes, I’ve been here a few times. Pretty safe. No one usually bothers me.”

“Oh, my God,” Jennifer whispers. “Look at that guy coming in, I think he’s the one that attacked me. Let’s get out of here, hurry.”

“How could he be out of jail so fast?” Patricia asks.

Jennifer is scared, “I don’t know, but I don’t want to confront him. Come on, let’s go, hurry.”

Michael blocks the door. “Hi, remember me? Can we talk? I promise I won’t hurt you. I apologize for what happened. I’m not normally that kind of guy. I learned my lesson. Can I buy you a drink? Then I’ll leave you alone. Please let me. Guess it’s a little soon to voice this but I fell for you the minute I saw you and was so angry when you stood me up that I got out of control. Do you believe me, can you forgive me?”

Jennifer, still rather terrified, backs down and agrees only if Patricia stays with them.

“Can we just be friends? Take it slow and easy. Meet only in public places?” he pleads.

“I don’t know. I’m not comfortable after what happened. We don’t even know each other at all. Give me some friends names to call so I can trust you. It will take me a while to get over the terrible things you yelled at me when the cops hauled you away. Give me a week to see how I feel. Don’t come near me or my apartment. I’ll call the cops if I see you anywhere at all except where we agree to meet. Deal?”

“Agreed.” Michael responds. “Can we meet next weekend in the afternoon in a visible crowded coffee shop, or the road-side diner, to prove my intentions are good?”

“Only if Patricia comes along. I won‘t feel safe by myself. Okay with you?”

“Oh man,” Patricia comments. “I hope this works. Let’s go. Make sure he doesn’t follow us.”

A week follows during which Jennifer contacts his friends, decides it is okay to see him. She and Patricia meet him the next week at the road-side diner for a long conversation during coffee and rolls. After that, Jennifer and Michael went out several times, without Patricia, until Jennifer felt comfortable to see him alone.

The following year, love ensued, marriage followed, with a family arriving soon and, as in fairy tales, they lived happily ever after.

September 05, 2021 18:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Susan Whitlock
23:05 Sep 15, 2021

Reads like a screen play. I have to say, being a case manager, I do not believe someone who did what Michael did would ever end up happily ever after with same person. Just could not buy into the story - though well written and in a difficult voice and tense. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.