24 comments

Friendship Contemporary Fiction

I hadn’t seen Terry for over a year when we spoke last week, and he’d suggested a night out at his darts club. Yeah, sure, I’d said. I can drive unless your car’s back on the road. Cheers, I’d appreciate it, he’d said. My motor's out for the count and my trotters are playing up. No problem, I’d said, confirming the arrangement. How does Tuesday sound? Fine by me, he said. See you at eight.

#

It was a shock to see Terry dragging his feet down the footpath and struggling to maintain his balance with a walking frame. With his silver hair and beard, he looked like a dishevelled Santa recovering from a reindeer stampede on Christmas Eve.

I knew about his M.S., of course, but didn’t realise how fast it’d progressed. If ever I broached the topic, he’d scowl at me and change the subject. We were in the same class at high school, but you’d never have guessed it. He looked like he’d retired two decades ago.

My damn hooves are messing about tonight, he said, grimacing as he inched his way over the gritty paving slabs. 

I winced as he stumbled over each granular obstruction.

No hurry, Twinkle Toes, I said, opening the garden gate. We’ve got all night.

It’s just as well under the circumstances, he said, avoiding eye contact.

Lean on me, I said, bracing myself as he lurched towards the open car door. Terry clutched my forearm, twisted his spine, and collapsed backwards onto the passenger seat, hauling his other leg into the footwell. 

I’m glad you’re the designated driver, he said, chuckling.

Me too, Terry, I said, shaking my head. I’m still recovering from last time.

I warned you my brakes were spongy before we set off, mate.

They weren’t spongy, I said, frowning. They were A.W.O.L.

At least my motor wasn’t a complete write off, he said, smirking.

True, I said. But now it’s held together with five miles of duct tape.

#

What defined our time at school was being good or bad at darts. I was always awful at darts, but possessed a head for numbers, whereas Terry had the natural skill and accuracy required for the sport. He had to work on the mathematics. However, when we left school, he was a whizz with the important numbers. His poor exam results didn’t bother him because he could calculate dartboard scores like nobody else. 

Everyone said, if you look hard enough, you can see smoke coming out of his ears.

He was a human number cruncher, calculating all the game scores in double quick time from five-hundred-and-one through to zero.

#

Like everything that’s important in life, love and marriage, one has to work at it to achieve success. I tried to follow Terry’s advice about how to grip the dart, convinced that I needed a strategy for improvement. He recommended either using the four or three points of contact method. It was all in the wrist action, apparently.

You need to practise your snap, Terry said, demonstrating his technique.

But that’s just flicking your wrist, I said, frowning.

No, not really, he said, biting his lip and tutting. Just think more snap and less flick.

I persevered with both styles and did my best. However, it wasn’t in me, or didn’t manifest itself in any recognisable form. I understood the theory, but it didn’t have any effect on my ability.

#

I pursued a career in accounts, and Terry followed his shooting star. He had a chequered career in various industries. Terry signed up for ten years in the Army’s Logistic Corps, where he got his HGV licence, followed by fourteen years driving heavy goods and artics, and then ten years as a doorman on the club circuit. He was fine with those professions until his G.P. spotted the early signs of M.S.; numbness, tingling fingers, and lack of coordination. The doctor suggested a desk job, which Terry agreed to, and he gained employment as a night security officer in charge of fifty CCTV cameras at the local nuclear processing facility. It didn’t take him long to install a dartboard behind his office door. He’d thrown “arrers” throughout his working life; wherever there was a target. It was an ideal set-up; undemanding night work, a private dartboard, and hours of undisturbed practice time.

#

Last time we shared the same vehicle, it was a white-knuckle ride from start to finish. It was clear Terry wasn’t in control, or at least his feet weren’t responding; we were slow to pick up speed after every stop and pulled up short every time he braked. We had three near misses and a couple of scrapes on the way. However, we got there in time for Terry’s big tie against the reigning champion.

When we arrived, I headed for the bar to steady my nerves, and Terry sauntered into the club as if nothing had happened. He focused on the matter in hand like an apex predator out for the kill. This was a final playoff fixture against Billy “The Bruiser” Balshaw. 

There was no love lost between the pair. Billy was a gigantic presence on the darts circuit, weighing in at two-hundred-and-sixty-six pounds. Terry knew The Bruiser from previous bouts and had parried his verbal intimidation and physical threats. Terry was self-assured and knew he was up to the task. Billy had his troop of supporters, but so did Terry. If there was any hint of violence, it was going to happen between the two groups following the event and out of earshot of the club.

The M.C. called the two competitors to attention and introduced them.

Ladies and Gents, please give a big welcome to Billy “The Bruiser” Balshaw and our own shining star, Terry “Twinkle Toes” Tattersall.

The two opponents lumbered forward and gripped hands in a silent battle of minds and growled threats like two manacled mastiffs prior to mortal combat. Winner takes all, with the honour of their respective clubs at stake. 

Balshaw won a couple of easy legs while Terry warmed up, however once he got into his stride, sparks flew and the tension was unbearable. Terry was on form and despite a war of hissed threats and half-heard utterances, he trounced Balshaw and achieved a personal best; a nine-dart finish in the last leg; seven treble twenties, then a treble nineteen, and last, a double twelve to finish. A rare achievement; seldom witnessed and appreciated by friend and foe alike. The ten-minute-long standing ovation was thoroughly deserved.

#

The following week, he took out his car’s windscreen on the back of a lorry with a protruding rear load. 

It could’ve happened to anybody, he’d said to the attending officer.

Damn sun was in my eyes, he’d said to the nurse and paramedics. 

The car wasn’t a complete written off, however; it was a convenient excuse to accept a lift to work from security colleagues at the plant. Terry must have realised he wouldn’t get any better because he was in no hurry to get his car back and avoided calls from the garage concerning the repair bill.

#

Soon after the tingling got worse and Terry requested a followup appointment with his G.P. The doctor performed tests on Terry and concluded that the M.S. was advancing and he had dartitis. 

What the hell is dartitis?

It’s an unexplained loss of motor control in the hand, wrist, or arm.

You’re kidding me, right?

It s like “the yips”, said the doctor. A nervous twitch that destroys concentration and spoils performance, resulting in the inability to release the dart during a throw. Terry had never considered early retirement, but now his health was dictating his future. He had a life-changing choice to make, and so did his employers. 

#

Losing touch with work colleagues and old friends is always difficult and upsetting, but when it’s because one’s fingers can’t press the buttons on the iPhone, and you can’t get out to socialise like you used to do, then it hurts. It hurts like hell, in fact. Terry never admitted he couldn’t work his fingers anymore and found it difficult to use his phone. Later, he admitted he was in denial about his condition. It had started with his feet and progressed to his fingertips. His once firm grip had become limp and pliable; his fingers were lifeless appendages that disobeyed his commands or were stubborn and recalcitrant. The bad days were horrendous and the good days were a mere plateau of respite; no sign of improvement, just not as bad as before.

#

Our Tuesday night out wasn’t anything special. I meant it to be a couple of drinks and a natter at the Ex-Serviceman’s Club. I parked close to the entrance and assisted Terry up the ramp with his walking frame. When we stepped inside the barroom, we met a wall of hushed whispers. One by one, the clients in the room took to their feet and clapped. The applause built to a thunderous roar and continued as we proceeded into the throng. A jostling clientele offering heartfelt welcomes and shouts soon surrounded us. 

You’re a bloody legend! Said an old fellow and his son, who hugged him and asked for a selfie.

Terry nudged me and pointed to the bar. I obliged, and we made our way forward across the crowded floor. The applauding well-wishers parted with a flourish like the waters of the biblical Red Sea. There’s a hushed whisper again as Terry, straining his biceps, gripped the rail below the polished bar top. With all his strength, he pushed his tubular frame to one side and straightened his back. 

What can I get you, sir? Said the bartender, polishing a glass. 

Drinks for all my friends, said Terry, turning to face the cheering room. 

And a diet coke with ice and a slice for my pal here, he said, winking at me. I’m the designated drinker tonight, and that’s for sure.

So much for a quiet drink.

 

The End





September 02, 2023 03:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Michelle Oliver
13:35 Sep 02, 2023

MS is a brutal disease. You describe the journey through denial to acceptance so well. It’s hard for those around to witness and understand. Love some of you phrases, especially “he looked like a bedraggled Santa recovering from a reindeer stampede on Christmas Eve.” I actually laughed out loud at that one. Missing a capital T on terry. -Balshaw won a couple of easy legs while terry warmed up. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:58 Sep 02, 2023

Hey Michelle, Thank you for reading my latest story and sharing your thoughts. Your comments were spot on and possibly reveal prior knowledge about MS; maybe you have some experience yourself? It is a challenging condition and I hope I didn’t underplay its devastating effects. BTW - on a lighter note, thank you for highlighting my lower case t in Terry’s name; you’ve earned the nickname of “eagle-eyes” Oliver…. :) Just joking with you because I’m embarrassed that slipped through and pleased I had a chance to alter it in time. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
15:51 Sep 06, 2023

Hi. I think your edits worked because I didn't see any typos. I think that you know a lot about this disease, maybe this story is about a friend of yours? You delivered it with grace and dignity and if I had been in the crowd, I would have cheered him on as well. I could see his pain but also his bravado. If this is about a friend, you are a good friend to this person. This was well done: encouraging, loving and thoughtful. Thanks for taking time to read my entry. I appreciate it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:45 Sep 06, 2023

Hey LJ, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. MS is an awful disease to acquire and its terrible power is obvious to see and ultimately destructive. It’s a difficult subject to write about and I’m not sure I fully appreciate the corrosive effect it has on one’s mental health. I just hope I’ve got close to portraying it with a degree of respect and done a useful job in highlighting the issue. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
15:09 Sep 06, 2023

MS is a tough illness, and you've really captured it here. Friends and family members of people with MS would appreciate this because you included the little details that make this illness so heartbreaking, like not being able to reach out to friends because he can no longer hit keys on his phone. Terry was lucky to have a friend like this. Well told story, Howard.

Reply

Howard Halsall
17:50 Sep 06, 2023

Hey AnneMarie, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your thoughts. You’re right, MS is a tough disease to deal with and a slow and humiliating death sentence. It’s also a difficult subject to write about and I’m not sure I fully appreciate the corrosive effect it has on a sufferer’s mental health. I just hope I’ve got close to portraying it with a degree of sensitivity and done a useful job in highlighting the problems. Take care HH

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:58 Sep 06, 2023

I believe you did just that. There was quite a lot of compassion portrayed throughout the story, probably something that would not have come across if it were told from Terry's perspective. I wonder how different the story would be from Terry's perspective. I imagine it's a lot harder for the people going through the disease to cope with their body, in some ways, betraying them, failing to do what they used to be able to do. I can see Terry is still optimistic, but I don't think he'd be that way without his supportive group of friends and fa...

Reply

Howard Halsall
18:00 Sep 06, 2023

You’re right, AnneMarie. The support is essential and keeping a sense of humour too…. A smile goes a long way and doesn’t cost the Earth.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anna E. Walters
14:22 Sep 07, 2023

Poignant and beautifully written. You do a wonderful job of capturing the MS patient's need for dignity and the impact of a supportive community. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Howard Halsall
15:13 Sep 07, 2023

Hey Anne, Thank you for reading my story and sharing your positive thoughts; they’re much appreciated. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:54 Sep 07, 2023

A pleasant nostalgic look at a life fully lived. And a dedication to a lifelong friendship. The ending is sad, but Terry keeps holding his head up high.

Reply

Howard Halsall
09:26 Sep 07, 2023

Hey Scott, Thank you for reading my story and leaving your positive feedback. Take care HH

Reply

11:41 Sep 07, 2023

You hit your theme perfectly. I really didnt see a word that should be changed.

Reply

Howard Halsall
11:55 Sep 07, 2023

I always want to reconfigure and change everything I write, so on that positive note, I’ll leave well alone HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Karen Corr
23:09 Sep 05, 2023

Nice tribute. Nicely ended, Howard.

Reply

Howard Halsall
23:23 Sep 05, 2023

Hey Karen, Thank you for taking the time to read my story and share your thoughts; they’re much appreciated. HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
06:38 Sep 03, 2023

Howard, your description of the journey of MS and how it mirrors the stages of grieving is uncanny. I knew a man with MS and he lived a rough life and died young. It is difficult to watch someone suffer from MS while you stand there helpless. Great story. LF6

Reply

Howard Halsall
14:07 Sep 03, 2023

Hey Lily, You’re absolutely right; standing and watching, and wanting to help an MS sufferer is hard. One wants to help and there’s not much that can be done to improve the situation. However, just being there is equally important; there’s support in solidarity and a willingness to be patient and kind. Later, it’s the little acts of kindness and friendship that matter, and a smile, of course. Take care HH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:18 Sep 02, 2023

I see a repeated sentence 'considered early retirement before...' I treated cases of MS as a MT. Difficult indeed.

Reply

Howard Halsall
19:48 Sep 02, 2023

Hey Mary, Thanks for spotting my double up..,, Phew, I’m glad you noticed. I’ve fixed and improved it - (mixed version edit problem I think.) I trust it didn’t detract from the story and hope you enjoyed it…. Take care HH

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:55 Sep 02, 2023

I enjoyed it. Sometimes forget to press like if I wrote comment first. Sorry.

Reply

Howard Halsall
20:07 Sep 02, 2023

No problem, I appreciate your time and relieved that you enjoyed it…. Thanks again HH :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
05:29 Jan 27, 2024

This, is a wonderful, kind, generous story. Bouncing wittily along like Liberace playing the piano after one too many drinks. It highlights human pathos and altruism in one fell swoop. There was one other error: The car was a completely write off. (I think.) But I don't suppose you can change it now. (I have two-eagle eyes.) Once more, I believe you've added one sentence too many in the ending. 'So much for a quiet drink.' It's a good line, not sure the ending needs it. Still, the writing and the story are both quite admirable.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Audrey Knox
22:53 Sep 06, 2023

The loneliness described here at the end when Terry starts to feel isolated because he is too stubborn to admit he is declining and can't reach out to his friends is heartbreaking. If I could offer some constructive criticism regarding the plot, my attention wavered while we were learning their backstories about having different dart skills at school, and I didn't feel invested in his victory he had in the past. The present day effort to get to the bar for one last drink with the community felt like the timeline with the highest stakes, so t...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.