2 comments

General

It was a beautiful fall day in Toronto. As happened every year, the whole family was getting together for Thanksgiving. It was Maggie's favourite time of year.

She was busy cleaning her house, which had been her parents’, and preparing the turkey. Other family members were bringing the rest of the meal and she was eagerly anticipating their contributions. Everyone was coming this year and she was the happiest she'd been in a long time. It had taken her many years to be able to enjoy this day as her twin brother, Mark had disappeared on a day just like this, 20 years ago. Thanksgiving had been his favourite holiday too.

His disappearance had been so strange. A few days earlier, he’d been acting not like himself. She knew that he wanted to tell her something, and she gave him many opportunities to do so, but for whatever reason, he couldn’t tell her. Then, a few days before Thanksgiving, he simply vanished. His clothes were still in his room. His wallet and identification were on his dresser. Everything he owned was still there, but he was gone. People were convinced he had killed himself. Maggie would never believe that. 

She thought of him often, wondering if he was dead or alive. The police had been unable to find any trace of him and no longer kept the case open. Everyone tried to get her to declare him dead, but as long as she was alive, he would be too. Maggie smiled as she thought of him. Mark was always so happy-go-lucky and full of life. She just couldn’t bring herself to believe he was dead. She was so sure that he was alive, that she set a place for him at the table every holiday.

People soon started arriving. Her son, Peter and his family were first, as usual. His wife, Sara and their three children were as energetic as always. Maggie marveled at how Sara was able to keep the three boys under control. They were wonderful children and she loved them so much. 

Her daughter arrived next, with her wife and two kids. It had been hard for Maggie to accept that Jen was a lesbian, but once she got to know Mandy, she grew to love her. They made such a wonderful couple and their twin boys were imps (they reminded her so much of Mark). They had even named the oldest twin after him. If she was honest with herself, the twins were her favourite grandchildren. She would never tell anyone, but she thought the boys might have figured it out.

Her second son, Jack, was late as he normally was. He had been a difficult child and struggled with depression and anxiety. Maggie’s husband and Jack’s father had died when Jack was only two and he was only ten years old when Mark had disappeared and it hit him hard. Jack and his uncle had been best buddies and he had never really recovered from his loss. She gave him a big hug when he came in and searched his face for a sign that he was doing better. She didn’t find it.

They sat down to eat and Mark said “Hey Grandma! Can I start with what I’m thankful for?”

“Of course you can!” smiled Maggie. She loved this part of the day.

“I’m thankful for my moms!” he said.

Everyone laughed and they continued around the table. Maggie was the last to go and she said the same thing she did every year. “I’m thankful for every one of you.”.

They all smiled and prepared to eat the delicious food in front of them. That’s when the doorbell rang. Everyone stopped and stared at the door.

“Who the hell rings someone’s doorbell on Thanksgiving?” asked Peter.

“It better not be someone trying to sell something!” exclaimed Sara.

Before anyone could move, little Mark had jumped up from the table.

“I’ll get it!” he cried as he ran to the door.

Jen yelled “Mark! Get back here! You know that you don’t open the door to strangers!”

Before she could get to him, he had opened the door. Maggie dropped her fork and looked like she was about to faint. Everyone turned to look at the door. At first, Peter and Jen didn’t recognise him, but Jack did.

“Uncle Mark?” he asked. “Is that you?”

Maggie still hadn’t moved. She couldn’t believe what was happening. If Jack hadn’t said her brother’s name, she would have thought she had finally snapped.

She slowly stood up and made her way to the door. They could have heard a pin drop. Even the boys were quiet.

She arrived at the door and 20 years of hope exploded into tears. Mark cried too and they held each other for what seemed like days. When they finally let each other go, Mark asked if he could come in.

“Of course you can” sobbed Maggie. “I have so many questions”

She led him to his place at the table and everyone sat back down. The tension was palpable and the silence was awkward.

“I guess I should start” said Mark.

His explanation took almost an hour, during which no one interrupted or so much as cleared their throats. It was the late 90s when Mark had disappeared and he was already in his 40s. He had been keeping a secret for all those years, because he knew that his and Maggie’s parents would not have been accepting. He was gay and a few months before he left, he met a wonderful man named Ben. They wanted to be together, but neither of their families would have accepted their relationship. Ben’s father had found out and threatened to kill both of them. That’s when they decided to leave. Mark thought it would be best to just leave, as he was afraid of what Ben’s father might do to them.

Once Ben and he had established a new life in France, it became easier to stay away then to try and explain what had happened. Over the years, Mark’s guilt became worse and worse, until he couldn’t stand it. He had to come home. 

“I know I have no right to ask this, but can all of you ever forgive me?” he asked.

The adults all had tears in their eyes and everyone looked at Maggie.

She looked at her twin and said “We have a lot to talk about today. But, of course I forgive you! You’re my brother.”

Mark started crying again and in between sobs, managed to get out a thank you.

Little Mark looked around the table and asked “Where’s Ben?”.

The grownups looked horrified. They were all thinking the same thing: What if Ben was dead?

“It’s alright” said Mark. “Ben is at the coffee shop around the corner”.

“Oh for goodness sake!” exclaimed Maggie. “You get on your phone and tell him to get over here! I need to meet my brother-in-law”.

Sara had already gotten up from the table to get another place setting.

The rest of the day was a blur for Maggie. Her brother was back and she had never been happier. Ben was indeed a wonderful man and they were obviously very happy. The best part of the day was watching Jack and Mark reconnect. She hadn’t seen her son smile in so long. If she died today, she would die happy. 

This was the best Thanksgiving ever. 



November 24, 2019 16:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

PETER Inserra
21:49 Dec 06, 2019

Wow! I have a dog named Maggie, an ex-wife named sara and 3 kids! freaky! Loved the story but it ended too quickly. did you cut it for length?

Reply

Dianne Bramble
02:54 Dec 07, 2019

I did cut it for length. I am new to writing, so I like getting constructive feedback. Thanks for reading my story! I enjoy writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.