0 comments

Fantasy Christian

Twisted Wild West

Since he’d been a teenager, Adam Pierceson had heard stories of exaggeration of magnitude proportion about the mysterious Decadence, Montana. It was one of those strange tiny towns that were divided in every way possible. Half of Decadence was in Wyoming and the other half in Montana. Everything about the small town presented a dichotomy. The halves were divided by Crossed Line Avenue with an inn on one corner across the street from The RagTag Bar. The other corner provided a family-owned drug store complete with a soda bar while the other side had a newsstand covering an assortment of magazines. The country town was a story of wholesomeness and lewd living from all he’d heard. 

On his eighteenth birthday, June second, he packed a suitcase with enough clothing and toiletries for a one-week visit. Faith and Abe, pillars of the community pleaded with their son not to tempt evil ways by going to Decadence, but like many young people, he regarded his parents as stodgy and boring.

Holding hands with a clasp tighter than normal, his parents waved farewell from behind the white picket fence on Blossom Lane. The street earned its name with the scores of crepe myrtles blanketed with vibrant blossoms. Tears ran down their cheeks as fear bubbled in their bellies. Hopefully, they thought, they’d instilled enough values in their boy. 

Adam drove down his street with a puffed-out chest of accomplishment and reels of fun times rolling through his mind, like one of those movies his parents had forbidden in their house. Many a night he’d surfed on his computer checking out everything the small town of Decadence had to offer. 

A hot breeze blew through his light brown hair as he flew down the state road heading southwest. Along the way, billboards flashed warnings of temptation, danger, and sin whereas others had flashy pictures of colorful entertainment epitomizing fun and excitement as all the beautiful women and muscular men beamed with smiles and laughter. 

Once well on the way he couldn’t help but notice the dull craggily miles of emptiness similar to the old ghost towns his parents used to take him and his brothers to on family vacations. There was something exciting about the notion of the Wild West and in his mind, he pictured Decadence as one of those old western towns with candy stores and saloons. With those pictures scrolling through his mind, he surmised his parents were overreacting. 

As the sun lowered toward the horizon, he could faintly see a silhouette of town ahead. A “Welcome to our town” sign was posted on the road. It was in pastel blue and white with silver around the edges. Just looking at the sign brought a smile to his face. It was like something akin to the children’s game Candyland. On the other side, about an eighth of a mile further along the road was a sign “You are about to enter Decadence, where all fantasies come true.” Tyler felt a chill tickle his spine, was it a thrilling shiver or a tremble of trepidation? 

Entering the town felt like a theme park. All the buildings were soft pastel colors with the look of fresh paint gussied by flower-filled window boxes and swirly gingerbread adornments at the corners of porch columns. 

The first stop was Sweet Treats and Sundries. A vacant parking spot was posted with a sign stating visitors' welcome. Curious.

Stepping out of his car, his nostrils were filled with tantalizing aromas of cookies baking. He followed the scent inside. The counters sparkled with delicious-looking sugar-coated treats and every kind of cookie imaginable. The girl behind the counter wore a short pink fluffy dress covered with a ruffled apron. She offered a hand-scooped ice cream sundae to go with his treats. Her eyes sparkled amidst feathery lashes as she handed him the ice cream in a glistening cut crystal bowl. “How much do I owe?”

“I can tell it’s your first time here and for all first-timers everything is free.” Her perfectly dimpled smile melted his heart. Was this love at first sight? He stayed at the counter talking with the young lady for nigh on two hours. 

“My name is Adam Pierceson. I live in Gardenton and I’ve heard exciting stories about Decadence. I had to come to see for myself.” She giggled in a bashful manner creating a wave of warmth swell through his body. “Is it true about all the things I’ve heard about the other side of town?” His eyebrows raised in a double tap. 

“I’m afraid so. All I can say is it will open your eyes for sure.” She looked straight into his face all the way to his soul. He felt a slight quiver and hoped it wasn’t obvious. “Where you staying tonight? There’s a comfy inn down the street, the Welcome All or there are cabins on the edge of town Pure Campgrounds.” Mentioning the campgrounds created a look that screamed that it wasn’t for him. 

The inn sounded far more comfortable. He meandered down the street looking at the few touristy shops. The town smacked of the Wild West. 

Adam strolled into The Hitching Post. It was exactly what one might picture. The shelves were stocked with cowboy hats, samples of boots, western-type shirts, and a rack of chaps. 

A young man, near his age, dressed in the traditional Western outfit welcomed him with a broad smile. “Howdy, welcome to The Hitching Post. What can I do you for?”

“Oh,” he shuffled his feet from nervousness, knowing any one item would wipe out his money. “I just wanted to look.” The salesperson grabbed a black hat and chaps, and led him to a three-way mirror donned him in the western get-up. Adam felt his shoulders straighten, and his self-confidence soared. “How much is it for the hat and chaps?” He was hesitant. There was no way he could afford either let alone both. 

“Pardner, the first purchase is free. Didn’t anyone tell you that?”

Adam’s jaw dropped. “In that case, I’ll take both.” He was beaming. 

“No boots? You’re a ten?” Damien, the salesperson offered. “Come on, give ‘em a try.”

Adam shook his head, “Nah, I couldn’t.” Then he thought for a minute. “What the heck? Yes, I wear a ten.” He sat in a chair in front of the three-way mirror and pulled the boots on, then stood. Looking at his reflection boosted his ego. Dang, I look good, he thought to himself. “We can box my Nikes. And you say all this is free?”

Damien had a glint in his eyes. “Yes, indeed. The first taste is always so sweet.” Adam was all smiles as he thanked the salesperson and strutted down the street. 

What a day it had been! He’d had the undivided attention of a pretty girl and now he had the clothes and swagger of the old West. 

Still full of ice cream sundae, he didn’t need to eat but he was thirsty. The closest place to get a soda was across the street named Crossed Line. Just the name sounded ominous. He could always turn around and get a drink at the sweet shop. 

He drew in a deep breath, preparing for the evil ahead. All he had to do was cross the street and he’d be at The RagTag Bar. He swung the door open and stepped up to the bar. 

The bartender kitted out in old-time attire cocked his head to the side. 

Before Adam could say a word, the man cleared his throat and requested an I.D. “Sonny, come back in 3 years when you’re 21, now get on out of here.” 

Adam was confused. “I thought, on this side of town it was anything goes and all I want is a soda.” He felt the heat rising up his neck. He pounded a fist on the bar top. “I want a soda, now!” Then he looked in the mirror atop the back bar.

The brand-new cowboy hat looked old and worn and his expression had an evil cast. His eyes were sunken. Adam hardly recognized himself. 

The bartender smiled and winked. “Sonny, you’re on the moral side of the town. I bet you stopped first at the sweet shop. Did you eat to your heart’s desire? No charge, am I right? Those duds you got on looked like the real deal, huh?” See, Sonny, that’s how evil sometimes works it’s packaged pretty as you please, but that’s all the goodness to it. Good thing you didn’t spend the night at the hotel. My best advice to you, dump those nasty clothes on your way out, go straight to your vehicle, and go home. Whatever you do, don’t stop at the sweet shop to get a cold drink, the price for a soda will be your soul. Pretty little Eve’s been up to her tricks since I was a boy. It’s not what’s on the outside that’s important. Be on your way.”

Adam left, dropping his cowboy attire in the trash, and ran as fast as his legs would go, jumped in his car, and took off to Gardenton. 

June 30, 2023 16:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.