The Fox Beyond the Thicket

Submitted into Contest #243 in response to: Write a story from the point of view of a non-human character.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fiction Coming of Age

Nestled within the lush expanse of Richmond Park, amidst ancient trees and the camouflage of bushes, lay my family's den. It was here, under the shelter of the area's shrubbery, that we slept, rested, and played. “Alder, we mustn’t lag. Safety in unity, remember?” my father called, his patience for exploration waning. I tore my gaze from a butterfly perched atop a nearby common yarrow bush and followed him through the enclave leading to our den. Our hunting expedition had proved successful; we nibbled on various prey as we meandered along the park's perimeter and even brought back a rabbit for those unable to join. Fortuitously, the park, teeming with wildlife, offered our pack a stable life—a fact my father cherished deeply. Though this park teemed with humans too, they kept at bay should we be around on a spring day.

My auburn fur grazed the leaves, slightly washing out the sheen it had under the moon's gaze. Birds began their morning chirps as the first rays of daylight cast intricate patterns on the ground. I leapt between them, playing with the shadows and light. "Alder," my father chided again, his patience thinning. "Sorry," I mumbled, receiving a soft nod in return.

In no time at all, with the family now full, we all lay down to rest. Though nocturnal by nature, our adventures in the park were not bound by day or night but by necessity. Recently, as the days had warmed, our ventures had proved more fruitful in replenishment. However, to me, they had become mundane. As one of the pack's youngest, I usually followed my father, but as I closed my eyes, dreams of solitary exploration beckoned me strongly beyond his vigilant watch.

A recent memory nudged at these dreams—a gate leading beyond the park's embrace, its window showing a world bathed in light so unlike the subdued glow of park lamps, promising a world of more. And so, my interest piqued and the instinct to explore fuelled, I had dashed forward in wonder that night. In response to that act had come my father’s scolding voice. A theme in my relatively short life. So, in protest to that, he received an eye roll back.

But a startling cacophony shattered the peace of dreams and adventure—a sound so alien, it clawed at my very soul, urging for the simplicity of cubhood; of being deaf, blind and ignorant to the world. All of us jumped at the adjoining sounds of human shouts. My eyes, round and big as an owl, were redirected to my guardian father. But the eyes that stared back at me were not ones of assertiveness, but rather ones of uncertainty. This image ingrained itself in my mind. For, in that moment, I knew things would irrevocably change. All my father said was, “Run.”

And so, I did. With a manic rush, all of us dashed away from the noise. My legs carried me, fuelled by instinct. I ran as if my life depended on it. Perhaps, it just might have.

Being a younger fox, my familiarity with the park was adequate, but the unexpectedness of that morning had wrought confusion on me. Where do I go? Where do we all meet? What is our contingency plan should anything go wrong? Such teachings had never been imparted to me, possibly overlooked by the pack. My father's look of fear echoed in my mind. So lost was I in contemplation that I nearly missed the break in the park's boundary. For in front of me lay an open path to the world beyond. The glittering black gates from days ago stood steadfast and impossibly grander than before. My curiosity, once restrained by my father's caution, now surged unbridled.

Without a second thought, I sprinted forward, crossing the threshold into the unknown.

I crossed the boundary and stepped on the walkway beyond, only to be met with a cyclist heading straight for me. A two-second difference would have meant a spectacular clash had I not reacted quickly, the thrill of my actions embedding a steady flow of adrenaline around my small body. I darted into the cacophony of the city and a stream of honks, shouts, and the roar of engines surrounded me. I was amazed my ears had not popped at the sounds. I fled until the sounds dimmed, finding solace in the shadow of an alley. “Tut, tut, tut, you’re causing quite the stir out there little one,” a voice meowed my way. I froze, every fur on edge, as my eyes scanned the darkness, landing on a sleek, shadow-cloaked figure with eyes that glinted like moonlight on water. It stepped forward, revealing itself to be an old, wise-looking cat. "Name’s Percy," he purrs, his tone carrying the weight of many unseen worlds.

"You're far from the thicket, young fox," Percy began, his tone neither accusing nor condescending. "The city is no friend to our kind, but it teaches valuable lessons to those willing to learn."

"Really? Tell me everything! What's it like, exploring all those lights and shadows?" My enthusiastic tone seemed to have made Percy take a fancy, as he sat before me and started licking a paw, casually. After a couple of beats and the whispers of human conversation beyond the alley, Percy settled into a story that made the shadows around seem less daunting. "You see," he started, his voice weaving the night around us into a tapestry of adventure, "the city's not just concrete and chaos. It's a stage for the curious and the brave. Like the time I outsmarted a band of raccoons during a midnight feast. Picture this—I was the lone cat against a gang of the cleverest critters, all vying for the same prize."

I found myself drawn into Percy's world, vividly imagining myself darting through the dangers and delights of the urban jungle alongside him. His stories painted a life of daring exploits and narrow escapes, of silent alliances formed under the cover of night. They were alive, pulling me into each moment, making me feel the pulse of the city, the thrill of discovery, and the satisfaction of a challenge met.

But as the night stretched on, the laughter began to fade from Percy's voice. "But not all tales have triumphant endings," he admitted, his gaze growing distant. "The city, for all its marvels, harbours shadows deeper than the night itself. I once had a family, much like yours, nestled in the warmth of companionship. But the city claimed them, one by one, with its hidden dangers—dangers I had foolishly underestimated, caught up in the thrill of the chase."

The silence that followed was heavy, charged with the weight of Percy's loss. A tightness gripped my chest, his stories transforming from thrilling adventures into cautionary tales, underscored by the reality of his solitary existence.

"It's not kindness, this solitary life," Percy continued, locking eyes with me. "The city teaches hard lessons to those who walk its paths alone." In his gaze, I saw not just the glimmer of wisdom but the depth of honesty and the ache of longing for something irrevocably lost.

At that moment, I understood. The allure of adventure, the excitement, the unknown—it all paled in comparison to the warmth of family, the safety of the thicket, and the bonds that tied me to my own kind. Percy's stories, once windows to a world of endless possibilities, now mirrored a simple truth: the greatest adventure lay in cherishing those who journey with us.

With a heart heavy yet clear, I made my decision. I stood, my gaze lingering on Percy, filled with gratitude for the wisdom shared in the quiet of the alley. "Thank you, Percy," I murmured, "for showing me the world through your eyes. It's time I returned to mine."

Turning away, I felt the pull of home guiding my steps. The city, with all its mystery and majesty, faded into the background, a chapter in my story marked by the wisdom of a cat named Percy and a night that would forever shape my path.

Guided, as if by Percy's spirit, I found my way back to the thicket of Richmond Park. My heart, a tempest of emotions and revelations, yearned for the familiar comfort of my family. The park welcomed me with open arms, its scents and sounds enveloping me warmly.

I approached the den, my steps light yet determined.

There, as if knowingly waiting, was my father.

Our eyes met, and in that silent exchange, there was a torrent of fear, relief, and unspoken questions. Yet, as I stepped forward, the tension that once might have crackled in the air between us dissipated, replaced by something softer, more profound.

And, in that moment, I knew.

I knew this was exactly where I wanted to be.

Surrounded by the pack.

Home.

March 28, 2024 20:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.