0 comments

Historical Fiction

Looking out into the vast ocean, the wind brushing against my skin. I'm reminded of the events that took place here on this beach 80 years ago when I was but a teenager.

I was eighteen, a young kid from a small town in Upstate New York who wanted to see the world. I just didn't know I was going to end up in a war zone.

I enlisted in the Army in the hopes of becoming a pilot. Instead I ended up as an Infantry soldier. I didn't know what that meant none the less I was excited.

I'm getting goosebumps up and down my arm thinking about that day all those years ago. I met new and interesting people. Some would become my best friends, brothers.

I lost brothers on the battlefield and there were some who I would fight the entire war together. After the war ended we continued our life-long friendship.

My best friend, a guy by the name of Dean. We met during basic training. We clicked from the start. From that first meeting we were stuck with each other.

Dean made me laugh at his stupid jokes. He told the worst jokes, that's what made him so funny. Me and Dean was at this very spot I'm standing at.

He was probably the bravest soldier I ever fought with. Dean made me brave and those around him brave. We were battle buddies. I couldn't ask for anyone better.

Dean wasn't my only friend. There was Sam, Clay, Beau and James. Each one of us stormed Normandy not juts to kill Germans but to bring freedom to the people.

Dean told me as we were getting into the landing vehicle "Let's show the krauts what we Americans are all about." I smiled and got into the landing vehicle.

My journey and everyone's journey to Normandy began at home and then in England where we awaited the day that would change history.

All I was thinking about while I was in England was if I were going to come home alive to see my family. I was thinking if I would one day get married and have a family of my own. Was I going to die?

I was a young kid of eighteen, barley out of high school who was being entrusted with saving the world, to bring freedom to entire group of people. "I'm entering a war zone." I'd constantly say to myself.

My fate was sealed as was the fate of every man that included my best friend Dean. I was nervous, scared. I was everything imaginable.

I looked over at Dean many times. He was cool as a cucumber. He was itching to get into the war. He was itching to kill Germans. I didn't know why. But I found out after the war why Dean wanted so badly to kill Germans.

Dean was Jewish. He had family in Poland. Dean didn't know if they were alive or dead. Only the rumors we heard. Dean's parents tried everything to get news on the fate of his family.

Sadly, the news, the rumors we heard about Jews being round-up were the truth. We didn't want to believe the rumors and neither did our government. It was only after the war ended that Dean learned his entire family was murdered.

I was heartbroken for Dean and I was glad we got revenge for his family. We won the war. Dean was a warrior. I was glad to fight by his side. I was glad and still am glad to be his friend.

I look out into the ocean. In my mind I picture myself on the ships preparing myself for battle. I can feel my heart beating extremely fast. I can feel the sweat pouring down my face.

I felt so many things that day. I knew we were on borrow time. Some of us maybe all of us weren't coming home. I prepared myself. I prayed to God I would make. I prayed to God Dean would make it. I prayed to God Sam, Clay, Beau, James and the rest of my fellow soldiers would make it.

That was a scary feeling knowing I'd lose people I cared about. The day we got onto the ship bound for France proceed many delays. We were getting annoyed, angry. We were tired of the delays.

France was our way to Germany and on the early morning hour of the 6th of June 1944 an armada of ships left for the French coast of Normandy. Thousands of Allie troops. I was one of them would storm the beaches of Normandy.

This day changed my life. I never saw anything like this. Omaha Beach is where we were going. I still can hear the sounds of the machine guns, the sounds of the mortar fire. Everything was becoming real to me.

I didn't know it at the time but Omaha Beach would become my personal hell. It was the worst of all the landings. We got into the landing vehicle. The Germans were firing rapidly at us.

We were covered for the time being. I looked over at Dean. He didn't flinch. He wasn't scared. The landing vehicle didn't make it to the beach. It stopped feet away from the beach.

I'm getting the chills thinking about getting gunned down before making it to the beach. I saw many of my fellow soldiers getting gunned down or drowning.

I stayed behind Dean. He ducked. I ducked. After many grueling minutes me and Dean made it to the beach. We had no idea were Sam, Clay, Beau and James were. That was the least of our concern.

We had to get to the top of the hill under heavy fire. Bodies of our fellow soldiers were everywhere. I looked at Dean. He looked at me. I knew he was determined to get to the top of the hill.

I was with him all the way. We ducked, took cover, fired our weapons. Minutes felt like hours. Hours felt like days. I was getting frustrated. So was Dean. Our progress was slow.

We finally made it to the top. The Germans were behind the fortifications. Dean threw a grenade inside. Boom! Dean smiled. I smiled back.

Despite what took place at Omaha Beach, the landings at Normandy were a success. Omaha Beach took the lives of thousands of my fellow soldiers. Many of them I knew. Thankfully, I survived. Dean survived. Sam, Clay, Beau and James survived.

We made it through the war together. Clay and Beau were seriously injured during the Battle of the Bulge. They survived their injures. Sam, James, myself and Dean made it to Germany together. We saw first hand the atrocities Hitler and his henchmen committed.

That day and the proceeding days after the landings changed my life in ways I never could have imagined. I saw things I never thought I'd see. I did things I never imagine doing. I left home a boy and came home a man. Normandy will always be the place where I survived hell.

I come to Normandy each year on the anniversary of D-day to honor the memory of my fellow soldiers. I come to Normandy to show my family this is where freedom was won. To my fellow soldiers who never made it home. rest easy my friends. We will meet again.

The sunset over Normandy is beautiful. I close my eyes once again letting the wind of yesteryear flow through me.

March 05, 2024 21:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.