Rex's Trek

Submitted into Contest #41 in response to: Write about an animal who goes on a journey.... view prompt

3 comments

Kids

Rex journeyed up the side of the roadway, keeping well to the grass. Ears perked and nose ready for even the strangest of scents, the brown colored mixed breed dog walked at a steady peace.

     He stopped. A lush cool breeze embraced him and he closed his eyes, letting the rush bath through his thick fur, and he wagged his tail. It was good to be alive. Rex then took in the scenery. The field stretched far towards the distance, where the forest spread out without end. A few butterflies danced above the grass and blue flowers, and a squirrel scampered quickly. Above, the sky was a pristine blue, with a few clouds adrift and the sun right in the middle. Birds sang a sweet melody.

     Rex stretched, and let out a pleasant yawn, before he lay on his back, the wind tickling his belly. It was truly a nice day. A dragonfly hovered above him. Rex watched the critter, which seemed to observe him with curiosity with those huge eyes. The dragonfly flew away and Rex stood on all fours quickly to watch it go.

     Rex resisted the temptation to dash amongst the soft stalks and grass, to romp and play, to explore and sniff the sweet and crisp scents that permeate around. No, not today, for he must be somewhere and so, which a bark, he continued on his trek, the trucks and cars passing with a honk. Rex was all too happy to reply with a joyful bark.


The Town of New London is always busy, even on the weekends. Rex observed the bustle of the humans and the heavy traffic, and the many sounds and voices. Stores and stalls displayed different wares and goods and lights changed to allow to proper flow of traffic. Trees lined the pavements.

      Rex stopped to sit beside a woman near the pavement. He looked up. It was Karen, wearing a jogging suit, a leash in hand, her dog Meghan beside her. Meghan knelt and patted his head. “Good morning, Rex.”

     Rex barked. Meghan blinked, her tail brushing against the pavement, interest in her eyes. Rex stretched out and raised his tail and wagged. The lady dog panted.

     Karen shook her head. “You think you’re such a Romeo, don’t you?”

     Rex replied with a pleasant yelp. Karen knelt and placed her hand gently on his head. “You’re decided to go today, huh?”

     Rex answered with a short bark. “Good luck, buddy,” Julie said.

     Meghan barked. Rex looked. The crossing sign changed. “Thanks, Meghan,” Karen said.

     They crossed. Rex followed closely behind the two.  As soon as they reached the pavement, Karren waved goodbye Meghan panted.

     “Bye, Rex, be safe,” Julie said.

     Rex watched both human and hound jog up the street. As soon as they disappeared around the corner, Rex continued on his way. He sniffed, his tongue now out. Was that chicken he smelled? Baked chicken? It was strong, which meant that the source was nearby. Only one place cooked such delicious chicken like that. Bob’s Cooks, the most popular restaurant in New London and boy, can that human make some fine delicious meats.

     Rex stepped forward, but at once stopped. He shook his head. No. He must be somewhere. No time enjoy that great tempting aroma. Rex continued on his way.


Davidson Street was the busiest of all streets in New London. The humans called it the main street, as it was filled with different stores. Rex observed them as he walked with a quick brisk.

     It was a good thing he knew how to read. In fact, he might be the only mutt in the world who knew how to read words and count. The various signs spelled out the names of the different stores and the way they were designed amazed Rex. One such store caught his attention.

     The Variety, the name said it all. Inside you can find all sorts of things, and the glass today displayed a new set of items. Just as he passed the store, he stopped, ears perked. He listened. Slowly, Rex backed away from the door, but kept to the side of the glass. He crouched, and waited.

     Two men emerged from the store. Rex leapt upon the first man, bit into his sleeve and knocked him down. The man went still. Rex spun around. Something struck the other man in the head and he fell to the pavement. People began to gather, some already taking pictures on their smart phones.

     Jason rushed out, chest heaving, his father Ian behind him. Both held the man down. “Call the police,” Ian shouted.

     One spectator did. Jason faced Rex. “Thanks, Rex.”

     “We’ll take it from here,” Ian said with breath. “Thanks.”

     Rex barked. He hurried forth, but as soon as he turned the corner, he looked back and peeked. Three police officers arrived and as soon as the criminals were handcuffed and placed in the police car, Rex turned around and ran. He must not be late.


Rex rushed up the hospital stairs, pushed through the doors and dashed up the hallway. A nursed yelled, “Stop that dog.”

     “Let him go,” another nurse shouted.

     Now and then he would stop to let an orderly pass or to make way for a patient. At the end of the hall, Rex sprang up a flight of stairs, then down another hall, up another staircase and through another hall again. He came to a halt at a door.

     A nurse came towards the door and when she saw Rex, she knelt and whispered, “Visiting hours are almost over, but,” she paused. “I think I can squeeze you in.”

     Rex barked softly in thanks. The nurse opened the door and Rex barked in thanks again as he hurried in and walked towards the bed. Seven year old Judy Lewis sat upright, a tube connected to her arm, but otherwise, she was appeared fine. Nick and Helen sat by the bed, and when all three saw Rex, surprise overcame them. Rex placed his head on the bed. Judy rubbed his head. It was good to feel her touch again, and Nick and Helen rubbed his back.

     “Good to see you, buddy” Judy said.

     “Sorry we didn’t let you visit today, Rex,” Nick said with a sigh.

     “We were busy,” Helen said in a soft tone. “As soon as we heard that Judy was doing better we rushed on over from work. We’re sorry.”

     Rex barked and wagged his tale. Judy said with a chuckle, “He forgives you.”

     She was right. Rex did understand. “Glad you know your way around,” Nick said.

     “Can he come and visit me, daddy?” Judy pleaded.

     “Sure,” Nick said at once. “But we’ll have to ask first. I have a feeling that he didn’t ask for permission.”

     Rex leaned his head. They were correct. If only he could take and tell the family of the day he had.

 

     


May 12, 2020 15:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Sue M
05:47 May 20, 2020

Hi Mark! From the start, I liked how you focused the story on Rex, providing lots of details only a dog lover (or dog) would know. It was clear Rex was on a mission, and I looked forward to finding out where he was going that was so important. Adding the few events Rex encountered on his way allowed the pace of the story to flow nicely. Learning Rex was going on a journey to the hospital to see Judy was great. I especially loved it, because I volunteer with my dog at a number of different places. Visiting with a dog is a very impor...

Reply

Mark Munroe
11:00 May 22, 2020

Thanks. To be honest, to me personally, even though I love my story, there are times I thought I wasn't good enough (I am a harsh self critic) Also, I also wanted to see if I can write a good concise short story with a little over one thousand words. Finally, Rex would visit on certain days, but on THAT DAY, the couple couldn't bring him, so Rex decided to visit the hospital himself. I hope that clears things up. Again, thanks and take care.

Reply

Sue M
14:15 May 22, 2020

Of course that makes sense to me Mark. There are specific days I visit with my dog, so that was the plan with Rex. I obviously didn't get that particular bit of information. Thanks for clarifying. Sue

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.