0 comments

General

White smoke puffed lazily out of the wooden pipe as Jasper shuffled to the worn overstuffed armchair. He glared at his typewriter that sat at the large ornate wooden desk across from where he sat. It had been 25 years since he wrote his last book, which at the time had been highly successful; after that, however, he just couldn't seem to find the inspiration to write another word.

Tragedy seemed to plague him before, during and a year after his successful book; publishers from around the country continued to send him letters asking him to choose their company to publish his work. Jasper always threw their letters into the trash bin, not bothering to open them. His eyes briefly closed as tears threatened to spill down his weathered cheeks. The face of his beloved Annie filled his mind, her beautiful smile and sparkling, brown eyes filled with mischief. He could see her long brown hair flowing over her shoulders, her hands lovingly rubbed her pregnant belly; her laughter rang in his ears as she insisted their first child would be a daughter.

Jasper slowly opened his eyes, causing the tears to stream down his face; with a sigh, his hand tightened on his cane, he stood slowly as his body protested with creaks and groans. With tired legs he walked agonizingly slow towards the majestic desk that waited daily for him to return to work.

The typewriter sat patiently in front of him, it was almost as though the whole room waited for the familiar click clacking of the typewriter's keys to fill the empty silence. The white smoke filled the air faster, he stared into the silent room for a few moments before grabbing a white sheet of paper and carefully stuffed it into the typewriter. After everything was set up, Jasper gently placed his fingers on the keys and letter by letter typed the words: Annie: The Woman I Love.

A sad smile formed on his trembling lips, his mind wandered to all the people he had lost over the years. When he first got the notion to become an author, his sweet mother passed away from pancreatic cancer and then a few months later his father joined his mother in Heaven. Jasper believed his father passed away from a broken heart; his sweet Annie encouraged him to keep writing so that he could dedicate his book to them. Annie brought so much happiness to his life, her sweet spirit brought joy to all who knew her; a few months after their wedding she told him that he was going to be a father.

Jasper wore a smile on his face from that day forward, he imagined a full life with Annie and a house full of children. Laughter and love would always surround them, he couldn't wait for the day that he could hold his baby girl in his arms; he spared no expense in buying the best crib and toys that delight any child. Life could not have been any better, he had finished his book and was reaping the rewards for his hard work.

A year later in the middle of his success his younger brother Allen died from an accident at work; Allen died in his arms while at the hospital. Jasper remembered feeling at such a loss, he had lost his entire family; Annie and his unborn baby girl were the only people he had left in the entire world.

His thoughts shifted to his beloved wife and child; 'She was truly a blessing in my life' smiled Jasper fondly, 'We truly were soulmates.'

Annie was seven months pregnant when she tripped and fell down the stairs from the second floor of the house to the landing of the first level. He discovered her laying in a lifeless heap at the bottom of the stairs, Jasper's heart shattered into a million pieces. He buried his wife and child the next day; something inside him broke that day. He shut himself into the house he bought Annie when they married and refused to leave; he hired someone to bring him groceries so he didn't have to go back into the world. Jasper couldn't draw up any inspiration; he couldn't bring himself to sit at his desk to write for 25 long years.

The older he got, the more he felt the need to write; he knew he had to write the tale of the love he and his sweet Annie shared for a brief moment in time. For 25 years he had dreamt of his wife, however, in recent months he began to believe that she was asking to him to write another book, that he write about their love. Jasper felt afraid to write but now he was afraid not to; he wanted to write every detail of how they met, how they argued and fought through the tragedy in their lives; he wanted to write about the excitement and happiness in finding out about their first child. Jasper would lovingly include his parents and brother in his new book.

Jasper would write about their deaths and the pain he felt for each family member that passed away. He would write about Annie's death last; he would reveal the name they had chosen for their daughter. 'My dear sweet daughter Abigaile, we loved you so much!' thought Jasper as a tear slid silently down his cheek.

His fingers flew across the keys, Jasper poured his heart and soul into each word; as the room grew dark, he simply lit the lantern he always kept on the right hand side of his desk. The lantern had been a gift from his mother, it had been the last gift he'd received from her. Adjusting his glasses, he kept writing long into the night. Jasper refused to leave his desk until the book was completed, he would lovingly dedicate the book to Annie and Abigaile as well as his parents and brother.

'This will be the last book I will ever write,' thought Jasper rubbing his eyes, 'As long as one person reads this, I will be content.'

A few hours later, he slid the last paper from the typewriter and readied the large stack of papers that contained his greatest achievement. Before sealing the book into a box, he took up his pen and single sheet of white paper and wrote a short note to the publisher who printed his first book years earlier:

'Dear Mr. Tom Wells,

I am sending to you the last book I will ever write. I am old now and I suspect I will not live much longer. In fact, I expect to join my sweet Annie and my beautiful daughter any moment now. I am trusting only you to publish my book.

Thank you for everything Tom.

Sincerely,

Jasper Hannigan'

Putting the note inside the box on top of the manuscript, he sealed box and neatly printed the address on the box. He didn't bother putting a return address, he knew that it would get published into the world. He looked up, startled to see that the sun had already risen; the mailman would be arriving any minute.

Cradling the box close to his chest, he made his way to the door and waited to open the door until he heard the mailman knock on his door. Jasper didn't have to wait long, he opened the door surprising Phil.

“This is most precious to me Phil,” explained Jasper kindly, “It is absolutely imperative that it arrives at its destination as soon as possible.”

“I understand Mr. Hannigan,” replied Phil gently taking the package from the elderly man, “I will personally see to it myself.”

Satisfied, Jasper closed the door and locked it once again; he knew that when Phil or Charlie would contact the proper authorities when he did not answer the door tomorrow morning. He looked at the bottom of the stairs with a sad sigh before shuffling towards the stairs; he placed his aching hand on the railing for support and step by step began to climb the stairs to his bedroom.

Taking care, Jasper dressed in his best suit, the last suit Annie had purchased for him; once he was satisfied with his appearance Jasper picked up the miniature portrait of Annie who wore a wide smile and her hands lovingly placed on her pregnant belly. He smiled and carried the portrait to the bed, he kept the picture clasped to his chest as he laid down on top of the covers. Pulling his Annie's afghan blanket over him, he stared at the portrait as tears of happiness filled his eyes. Jasper placed a devoted kiss on Annie's face, he placed the portrait back on his chest; his hand held the small frame protectively tight.

“I'm coming my darling Annie,” whispered Jasper affectionately, “We will be together again soon, I promise!”

Jasper closed his eyes with a smile and drifted off into sleep; as the day wore on Jasper's breathing grew more shallow with every minute, until at last his chest stopped rising with breath. A smile stayed on his face as the last breath of oxygen left his body.

June 20, 2020 02:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.