Paradise Lost

Written in response to: Write a story titled 'Paradise Lost'.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary

This story contains sensitive content

This narrative is a politically sensitive narrative. It comes from a place of mindfulness. Harboring a level of concern. Offering a change of perspective or possible resolution.


Waking up before the sun has reoccurred so often. I now consider it to be the first thing on the itinerary of my morning routine. Aptly followed by five minutes of laying underneath the covers. Waking up while conjuring the mysticism that is motivation. As I hop into my boat. The routine is now a dubious unconscious flow. Yoga, light calisthenics, gratitude & meditation. In that order finishing up with a half hour stint in the bathroom.

   After I depart from the facilities. I drain the first cup of a pot of coffee. While I kick start my metabolism. Which turns over my colon. I check my email and the column board. In search of my column’s topic for the next issue. Of the rag you’re reading now(shout out Bukowski). Once acquired I gather my laptop and a second cup of coffee. Heading toward and out onto the balcony. Now I’m not advocating for the ingesting of nicotine or tobacco. However, over the years of writing. I’ve discovered the umami of coffee and cigarettes. May very well be the seed that blossoms into a brilliantly evocative narrative.

     As I light my second smoke with the butt of my first. I peer over to my left. Watching the South Manhattan skyline illuminate into the gothic metropolis. On the balcony of my 6th St apartment. Pontificating the topic, which is a perspective on the state of affairs in contemporary America. I leaned back into my chair puffing my cigarette. In lieu of a thought for an epitaph. Indulging in a sizable gulp of coffee. I cannon balled it. Exhaling into cognitive dissonance. Exhaling now why my arms crossed over the banister. My mind, silent as Bleeker St. An old saying from my angst bellows and howls. Echoing as an angelic choir in catacombs and hallways of my brain. 

“Attitude is a reflection of leadership.”

     I believe the state of affairs in contemporary America. Which was at one point a utopian democracy. Home of the free or at least was once. So I pose the question.

“How was this Paradise Lost?”

     Cogitating over an answer. I ventured back inside towards the kitchen. Deciding to eat in avoidance of a hangry rant. Feeling light I settled into a caprese melt with truffle fries. It satisfied me, as it enlightened me. I’m quite the cook for being a writer. Back in my chair on the balcony. Pouring my third cup of coffee. Having put the remainder of the pot in a portable pot. An investment that has paid for itself a million times over. Then I was struck by lightning. An answer had dawned on me.

     I’d say it would start with our leaders. Being congress, the senate and president. All of which are like other offices open to the public. The start of America’s abrupt one eighty. Would be from my point of view the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. That 122 page document of filth. Pulled the string that undid the sweater of America. Systematically removed the citizens seat from the table. Follow that up with the Electoral College’s usurp of power in 1947. Ushering out of the room of decisions. The Patriot Act slammed the door shut and locked it. The words that comprise that 131 page document. Quite literally is the antithesis to rights and civil liberties. Articulated in the Constitution and Bill of Rights. 

     In addressing the affairs of contemporary America. Rather in presenting the issues I will be mentioning. I must say I’ve never heard a political official of either state or federal ever mention them. However, first I must address the smoke and mirrors. That fog the lines of the real issues. That is like a plague in contemporary America. Truly I believe that racism is now a tool. Used to separate Americans. Causing tumultuous apprehension amongst them. I’m now reminded of two recent conversations. Last week with my mentor, Carl Martin. Who just retired at the ripe age of 78. The last of the beat reporters. He covered the Chicago Riots. 

     Never one to work in his office. Seeking his company for lunch. I wandered over to the pit. Struck benign to hear him listening to The Stones. In lue of extending an invite. I queried about his choice in music. 

“I’ve never known you to listen to music. If you did, given your age I assumed you’d listen to “The Genius” Ray Charles or The Great Sam & Dave.”

     Pausing from his sing-a-long. Carl spoke sternly through gentle eyes.

“Son, when I was coming up in Arkansas. We didn’t have mixed radio like we do nowadays. So ya learn to like what ya listen to, ya dig?”

     Seeing his retort knocked me for a loop. All 6’4 of him stood up and put his left arm around me. Ushering us to the door. He smiled and said verbatim.

“Gino, it’s not as good as it could be. Yet it is as good as it's eva been.”

     The second conversation was with my ex’s mother, Kim. When Corina & I were together. Kim, a retired magistrate for the city. Began to campaign in her words not mine for,

“Chocolate Italian grandbabies”

     The aforementioned conversation was three Fridays ago. After a hearty birthday celebration for Corina’s brother Kwasi. Kwasi, a tenured professor in literature at Ithaca. Was making a fresh pot of coffee. While Kim and I sat at the table. Kim loves discussing semantics, especially with laten intellectuals. More especially when they have no political affiliation. Amidst our night cap of coffee & cigarettes. A tray of Juniors pastries left undisturbed. Kwasi and myself are almost always in agreement on most issues. Exchanging the point as elegant as Magic could pass the rock. Our point being that systemic racism is embedded in the culture of America. Until both races can have tough conversations in an informative manner. There will be civil unrest. Furthermore without proper education i.e., the end route to Harriet Tubman’s journey, the history of the Abolitionist Movement & who are Chris Farley and Crispus Atticus, along with their significance. Then we will remain on the horizon of unison in America. Continuing to bathe in the smoke of slavery.

     Kim, cerebral, listened as she stirred sipping her coffee. As Kwasi and I finished she put out her cigarette, speaking candidly.

“If it were 40 years ago I’d agree completely. With Jim Crow laws still lingering on the Mason Dixon Line. As well as Alan Pike’s rhetoric preached in the circle of the FreeMasons. It may appear that way. You must allow me to remove the veil.”

     In light of the pause as she lit a cigarette. Kwasi sat down to her right. I refilled my cup and topped theirs off. Kwasi and I both lit our own. No one should smoke alone. Then Kim removed the veil. 

“From my perspective boys, racism and prejudice aren’t American culture. They are not even institutions. It’s smoke and mirrors to segregate. With the pay gap at the widest margin in history. Racism is the smoke to cover and separate poor uneducated blacks and whites. With inflation rising & the demonetization of the dollar. The economy is crippling & crumbling. Its reflection is in all major cities. Whether it be tent towns or dilapidated buildings. I agree with the finishing of education. Regarding the Abolitionist Movement and Harriet Tubman. We’ve forgotten that us citizens united are the militia. The militia won our freedom of Britain's rule. The militia and God’s will ended slavery. The underground railroad began in Portsmouth, OH. Went all the way through Ohio and ended in Northern Pennsylvania. The former slaves that stayed in Ohio. Most went to Yellow Springs, OH. Becoming wealthy landowners, though it’s now a mixed hippie town.”   

     Kwasi and I were speechless, tongue tied. Then appeared the resolution however elusive it may be. Until state and federal leaders are held accountable for their negligence. Then restoring the infrastructure and re fertilizing the academic system. While instituting change in state laws that still implement systemic racism. We will continue to spin our tires & go nowhere.

     Topping off my cup again. I believe it’s yet to be empty since I brought out the urn. I light the last cigarette of the current pack. Coffee and cigarettes appear to be a recurring theme in this month's column…

     Another concern is the disenfranchisement of the unconscious majority. Which make up most of the fabric of American Society. Racism, slavery & the civil rights movement with their ominous embroidery. Is coupled with the Native American genocide. Which I may devote a column to. For an Italian American man to speak on that with no bias is quite slippery. Opposite of said embroidery is the equal rights movement. This movement to me is the malignant tip of a major issue. Being the disenfranchisement of the unconscious majority of Americans. From the rise of social media. Spikes in suicide have sky rocketed. Of all the groups that are offing themselves in record numbers. The one that should be talked about, discussed and addressed. Women from 15 to 28 committing suicide IS THE HIGHEST ITS BEEN IN THE HISTORY OF THE CENSUS BUREARU! Now my dear reader. Amidst your scoff I encourage you to create a new tab. Go to the census bureau’s website and navigate toward statistics. If you become appalled by what you’ll find. That’s to be expected and if you vomit. Just know I won’t pass judgment. Top that off with rappers getting murdered in pursuit of glorifying a survival tactic. Influencers oding or committing suicide. Only Fans stars seeking redemption in Christ. No one seems to notice and no one seems to care. I propose an alternate perspective for archaic institutions. Religion’s are a practice equating them to building a skill at a trade. Another discipline is not punishment, it’s to humble you. Lastly both disciplines and religions are behavioral practices. If everything other than breathing and suckling are learned behaviors. Then I believe there is still time to correct the behavior. Properly educating ourselves and finely living in paradise.

     My final concern begins with the agricultural department for America. Primarily the food industrial complex. This concern affects the entire world. In the early 90’s roundup was instituted to farmers. This chemical spray’s runoff got into the water supply. Once this happened. We’ve seen spikes in autism in children, breast cancer in women, Alzheimer's in men and autoimmune disease. Roundup’s runoff if ingested is a synthetic antibiotic. Which is why penicillin’s derivatives work. How this affects the world is roundup, as per Andrew Huberman’s research is in the atmosphere. So I implore you my dear reader. Figure out who you are. What you desire, what you think is fun. This will reduce stress and spawn a better relationship with yourself. Treat yourself as you would a friend. Unfortunately in my case I rather enjoy coffee and cigarettes. Regardless, ground yourself and eat clean. Look up Dr. Sebi for guidelines. Once everyone fulfills these requests. Then, only then will we live as the one consciousness we are meant to be.


May 01, 2024 17:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.