12 comments

Kids Drama

Melinda looked up at the stars and asked, “Did you find it father?” 

“I am trying sweetie. Looks like it’s not visible today,” replied Gerald. 

“But, that’s what you said yesterday too!” replied Melinda pulling up her over-sized shirt from slipping over her shoulders. “Ask again, maybe God didn't hear you”, she insisted. 

“Or perhaps I cannot see properly,” smiled Gerald as he carried his daughter and began to walk back from the open field which was adjacent to their house. “We can’t keep mother waiting so let’s look for answers tomorrow.” 

Melinda reluctantly agreed but did not end her frantic queries while swinging her dangling legs. “Father, why are you not able to see? Is God angry with us? But, the other day He replied when you asked Him about buying me new paints. Then, why is He ignoring us today?” 

“Whoa, whoa hold on sweetie,” Gerald said while picking up his daughter's shoe that had fallen off her feet. “Maybe God knows how important those paints are for your contest tomorrow. He couldn't delay that answer,could He?”

“But, getting you new shoes is important too..”

“Now, now.. You know the rules of our house. If we need anything new, I ask the stars. If I am not able to see an answer, we have to wait until I do,” Gerald replied playfully as they entered their house and bolted the door. 

“You guys took longer than usual,” Janet said as she tied her hair into a bun and sorted out the yarns laid across the floor. 

“Yes mother. He couldn’t find an answer today,” replied Melinda as she skipped over the sewing materials strewn over the floor. “Oh why did we come back? We should have stayed longer” she said tensely. 

 “Alright, it’s time for bed. Mel, I hope you have packed your paints. We don’t have time to sort them in the morning.” 

“Yes, yes I did… Mother, can I watch you knit?” Melinda had a special twinkle in her eyes when she asked questions that didn't require an answer. Janet had to only roll her eyes as a reply. 

“Alright, I’m off to bed. Goodnight.” Melinda hugged and kissed both her parents and went to sleep on her little cot beside the wall. Since there were no separate rooms, a thin wooden wall partition served the purpose of providing the house with a separate bedroom.  

Gerald sat on the only cushioned chair in the house, after dimming the lights so as to not let any light fall on Melinda’s cot. Janet had settled into her usual spot on the carpet and started knitting. 

“What an innocent baby our Mel is. Yet, there is so much maturity in her that I forget she is only nine.” said Gerald, swelling with pride with a tinge of disappointment appearing on his face. “I wish I could spend more time with her before all her innocence runs out.”

“She’ll always be our baby,” comforted a proud Janet. “About those paints you bought her though... You know we had old ones. She would have managed with them,” said Janet while she was looking at the yarn balls as she couldn't decide on which one to use. “You have other expenses to sort. Your worn shoes are not going to carry you around for long. You haven’t fixed your broken specs.. by the way where are they? And your...” 

“Honey! Calm down. You know I can get it fixed another time,” interrupted Gerald. “We both know that tomorrow’s painting competition means a lot to her. She should have the best paints”

“Yes I do dear, but your feet..I can see a few blisters forming,” said Janet pensively looking at Gerald’s feet.

“Oh that! No, no. Just a little dirty from the site,” reassured Gerald. “Besides, I have enough time before the weather changes.I can buy it by then.”

Janet suddenly recalled, “Theresa had to pay for the sweater she bought last month. That should probably take care of your shoes.. and for your glasses....”

“Don’t insist Theresa. She has a lot going in her family. Let her pay whenever she can, We’ll sort it out honey. Everything will fall in place,” said Gerald with the same twinkle that little Mel had inherited from him. “I think we can call it a day and get some rest now?” 

Janet nodded in agreement as it was a long day. Just like any other day. 

The following day seemed like an ordinary one but not for Melinda. She was usually the first to arrive home after school followed by her mother who would return after her cleaning work in few houses that were located a little away from their neighbourhood. Gerald had to endeavor a long walk from his place of work which was a construction site in the city. He reaches home, a little after sunset. On that particular day, Mel came after her father reached home. 

“Where were you? You worried me sick!”, exclaimed Janet on seeing Mel. She knew her daughter had the tendency to arrive late when there were special events in school, but that day was later than usual.

“I won! I won! I won the competition! They put up my painting on the class board.. and..and put a golden star on it… and everyone clapped for me and I won a prize!” 

Janet’s anger melted after seeing Mel jumping with excitement but she had to show her motherly wrath for her late arrival. “That’s amazing Mel!,” she said, containing her happiness. “But, you cannot come home this late! What took you so long?..Gerald, she’s here.”

Gerald was wiping his face with a towel which he immediately swung on his shoulders when he heard his daughter’s voice. “Oh Mel! Congrats darling! I knew you would do great today! I want to hear all about it!” 

Janet gestured to Gerald with her eyes and he quickly changed his tone.

 “Oh.. yes..you are late Mel.You know you have to reach home on time.” Gerald was never convincing for the role of a ‘strict father’ but it worked on Mel. 

“I know. I am sorry,” Mel replied with a slight frown. “I had to go to the store after I won my prize.” She immediately dug into her slightly tattered pink-colored school-bag.  

“Store? Where exactly were you Mel?” Gerald’s browlines that were normally invisible in front of Mel, took shape.    

“The repair store right next to my school.” Mel held out a small rectangular-shaped black box for her father. 

“What is this?,” asked a puzzled Gerald. 

“We need answers tonight father,” said Mel with a determined smile and pointed to open it. 

Gerald in a robotic manner opened the box and immediately recognized his broken specs. Except, that it was fixed. He couldn’t comprehend the situation and asked in a faint voice, “How? Where did you get the money for...?

“It was a cash prize father and Mrs. Potts told me to buy something nice with it. But, she obviously doesn't know the rules of our house,” continued Mel animatedly. “How can we get something new if you can’t see properly? You need these to look at the stars. We need answers, remember?”

Janet and Gerald stood speechless. Before they could react, little Mel was holding her father’s hand and pulled him outside. He knew why and he allowed himself to walk onto the empty field. 

“Try them on and ask about your shoes. You should be able to see now,” exclaimed little Mel with her fingers crossed. 

Gerald without saying a word, held his newly repaired glasses with his frail fingers. He smiled, wore them and looked up at the stars, but for the first time he couldn’t see any for he had closed his eyes and allowed his tears to roll out. 

July 24, 2020 08:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Anne Benita
03:55 Jul 31, 2020

Pretty interesting. Well written

Reply

Vandana Nair
18:10 Jul 31, 2020

Thanks Anne Benita!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arun A K
16:09 Jul 29, 2020

Beautifully narrated. Travelled along with Mel. Keep writing.

Reply

Vandana Nair
17:16 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement Arun. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amrita M
12:42 Jul 29, 2020

Less is truly more. Easy read. Epitomizes simplicity, elegance and relevance. Brings back a lot of wonderful memories.

Reply

Vandana Nair
12:45 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks Amrita! 😊 Was trying to showcase a simple story and glad that you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Namita Pai
12:16 Jul 29, 2020

Please write more stories!

Reply

Vandana Nair
12:28 Jul 29, 2020

Will do! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Namita Pai
12:15 Jul 29, 2020

Such a wonderful read! Got me to imagine the expressions of little Mel! It feels like the short stories we used to watch when we were young!

Reply

Vandana Nair
12:27 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks Namita! 😊 Nice to know that Mel was able to come to life through this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aparajita Kayal
12:03 Jul 29, 2020

Beautifully written...really enjoyed reading good work :)

Reply

Vandana Nair
12:09 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks Aparajita. Glad you liked it.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.