16 comments

Fiction Inspirational Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

"Hello my name is Mike not a host just a friend. We are here to help and assist it all depends. We don't judge or make fun of others. No need to anyways because we all know what it's like to suffer.

Thank you all for joining to get cleaner than a bar of soap. I know the process is difficult I was once addicted to Coke. We learn from our mistakes and bounce the pain back with hope. Make a new path in life since we all fell down a brutal slope.

So for those who don't know, we will go around the room. There isn't much of us here on a Friday afternoon. You speak if you're comfortable because who am I to assume? Who would like to share since it's never easy to divulge our wounds?"

"Hello everyone, I'm Peter, and I am addicted to cocaine. I buy chickens in order to be entertained. I can't let go now that I know were to obtain. I sold all I had in order to maintain. I ran out of excuses for my actions I can no longer explain. I would not have gone that road if I wasn't boxed in by pain. I can sit here and make promises but deep down, I just need a friend because once I go home, it will all happen again."

"Hello, I am Linda, and addicted to sex. I won't explain my reasons because that's a bit complex. I don't go around and fuck whoever I see next. It's a twisted game that lies on the borderline of respect. At bars, clubs, and work, there is always someone down to connect. Usually, it's every day I missed today, so we can call that progress."

"Hey everyone, I'm John, and I am addicted to porn. I found out early on since I was curious about how humans were born. Never had a lover which may explain why I feel forlorn. The addiction is real if only I was warned.

It's crazy, though, because once I am finished I'm embarrassed. Bust a load and I hate myself because of it. Fell into a trance from a woman's body that it's hard to resist. The urge to yank I haven't been the same since. I wish one day that I could be in a relationship, but afraid it'll be a conflict. I have to masturbate, and it's sad because I understand the risk."

"Thank you, John, for spilling your heart to us, and I hope you can leave here today feeling free and loved."

"Hello, I'm Stefany, and I'm an alcoholic. It's my first time I did not want to speak to be honest. Just here to listen and reflect on my choices. I did the wrong thing and refused to pay for it. Yeah that's it. That's enough for me."

"Thank you for sharing Stefany."

"Hello everyone my name is Tony, and I'm a gambler. I lost my financial grip and was penetrated by Uncle Sam's antlers. I drifted from peace and started looking for answers. My job paid okay, but I had bills and a wife I didn't want to dismay her.

Time kicked my ass, and casinos I discovered. Lottery tickets, slot machines, poker, I threw myself into the gutter. I always pushed another play until I had no money to transfer. I started to realize this after my wife was diagnosed with cancer. I knew I had to win since my occupation can't save her, Once she passed away my life was consumed by anger.

I lost my way and knew the odds were against me. Yet I kept going nervous because a single victory is all I need. I tried to quit and stop myself. Now I am here desperately looking for help."

"Thank you Tony for making the first step and joining a group where our dreams were swept. We will overcome it, and together we will change. Addiction is muscle memory, but the one in charge is our brains."

"Hello, I am Wendy and addicted to drugs. You can't ever face the truth because that's what addiction does. Hide you from yourself as your zoned out. Blasted or wasted lazy on the couch. I did avoid heroine, but that was because of someone I knew. My best friend overdosed, so I made a promise to never use.

I fell back and used everything else. Like the rest of us lost and afraid I'm just looking for help. One day at a time until I relapse. Once you take a hit or sniff, it's practically a contract. Your mind will drift, and you need another hit, or else you'll collapse. I've seen my mother cry after I told her it'll be my last."

"I felt that Wendy it's tough, I'm Jack and addicted to Nicotine. Fucking cigarettes. I can't get through the day without three packs of these. Take a sneeze due to pollen from trees. I begged God, please, but he doesn't seem to be listening to me. I fit smoke breaks within any schedule. I can't run out because I'll be anxious and cold. I lost weight due to nicotine withdrawal. I almost killed myself with my back against the wall."

"I'm Bob, an alcoholic as well. I can't stop because liquor stores are always stocking up their shelves. Well, I'm a regular, so this is like a family reunion for me. I did put in the effort to be here, so that has to be worth something.

So Mike, what's wrong with me? I can't be changed but of course, you disagree. The buzz helps ease the agony from within. I lost my house, car, and wife. I don't know where to begin. She's not dead, but we did have a divorce. Practically the same thing since I'm choking on remorse."

"Bob, it's okay. Speak as you wish, I understand . I have been there before broken, hopeless and jammed. With time you will thank yourself. Just stay strong and continue to stop by it'll improve your health. I went through a divorce after a 15-year marriage. I have kids, too, so it's not something I can easily manage. Take this as a lesson to turn over a new leaf. When things move in a better direction, you'll have a breath of relief."

"Hello everyone, I am Nick, and I am addicted to Benzos. Pill addiction is sadly common and definitely no joke. Xanax to be specific. Depressant my ass it's more like a gimmick. Tell them your anxious so they can get you addicted as they make profit while we become emotionally paralytic.

I can no longer work the same. My energy died like Burger King's Smartphone campaign. I can't sleep and when I do I wake up in my vomit. I get numb and barely want to exist. I lose my appetite and my libido vanishes. I just crave Xanax more as the company takes advantage.

I lie to my girlfriend about where I am. Looking for doctors to fill up my hand. I can't live like this off 10mg a day. l just hope I can survive and that it's not too late."

"Sorry Nick and I hope your addiction fades. For all of you actually I wish for the best as success invades. First time I had over a third of you guys to speak. It's important to want to change our techniques. We are here for each other during the events that make us weak. Wonderful people let's proceed same time and place next week.

Is there anyone who would like to share before we wrap this up? I am proud of you all for choosing to change the present and to construct."

"Yeah, I would like to share before my emotions are scrambled. I am addicted to poetry and my name is Daniel. I know it sounds dumb, but my inner demons are flying off the handle. So let me speak before my sanity is strangled.

I am ambitious and addicted to poetry. Whatever I see and or hear it's being written down immediately. I crawl into emotions that's more confusing than geometry. Always thinking of lines that bring quality. Sadness is holding me hostage like a robbery. Obsessed with being on top of the world but am I worthy?

I jump into different prospective because I am sick of my own. Done with the drama and depression, but everyone has those. I drift away from time with family to write some notes. Spend 6 hours alone till 3 am on the phone. Thinking and thinking of what to write down. Read it over out loud to hear how it sounds. Bump my head to the rhythm as agony bounce. Change a word or two around because I don't know how to pronounce.

I write to run away, but my problems get much worse. Some poems are so painful I don't even want to rehearse. I try to switch it up and make one that can go in reverse and yet all I have in mind is memories that hurt.

I can write a book about my issues but I did that already. Spoke about love, dread, suicide, and trauma I can no longer carry. I can't stop either because misery gets heavy. So I use paper and have my notions become confetti.

Poetry is an addiction and I became a machine. I write until I can't because my mental health is concerning. Poetry tends to heal wounds, so I think that it's working. I don't know anymore but deep down my heart is observing."

July 14, 2023 13:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

16 comments

Vid Weeks
11:26 Aug 09, 2023

Great job, ambitious to make a meaningful story rhyme, I loved 'My energy died like Burger King's Smartphone campaign.'

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
20:41 Aug 17, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. It's tough to make a story rhyme but I like the challenge. That's one of my favorite lines as well. I have many people comment on that Burger King reference. Thanks once again for liking my story. Rehab is one of my personal favorite stories I've written. Much love Write on!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frank Lester
16:31 Jul 24, 2023

Wow! The poetry of life (or addiction?). I found your story, especially how you formatted it, quite interesting. If this is a personal journey of conflict and struggle, I'd say you picked the right medium, writing, poetry, to carry you through. Thanks for sharing it. Good luck and keep writing. Stay well.

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
20:46 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. Great question could be both. The being addicted to poetry is written about me personally. The others in the story was random people I came up with. Thanks for the motivation to keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barbra Golub
18:21 Jul 21, 2023

Wow. What a unique essay. Loved all the different voices and how it all ties together at the end. My favorite line is "My energy died like Burger King's Smartphone campaign." Just great.

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
20:53 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. One of my favorite lines as well I'm glad you caught it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
20:02 Jul 19, 2023

I gained from reading all these points of view and experiences. I like the support the people gain from listening to one another. I particularly liked the addiction to poetry and words because it means a lot, something I can connect with. Well done Daniel.

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
20:42 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I am happy that you enjoyed the read. I tried to keep it as organic as possible. I wanted to add myself as a twist to show how anything can be an addition not just the well known drugs and alcohol usage. Thanks for coming back to read once again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
07:32 Jul 15, 2023

Such unique voice to your writing Daniel, and what a subject to tackle. Very well done.

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
20:39 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate your kind words. This one took a while to write and I was nervous because it being a topic most don't feel the need to speak about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
16:48 Jul 14, 2023

Daniel, the different perspectives and how you took the approach was amazing. I enjoyed the end albeit sad. Addictions are sad and despite others feeling love towards the addicted person - it is so difficult to understand why - why the are addicted in the first place but then - why they cannot stop? Nicely done. LF6

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
20:57 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I am pleased with the story even though it took all week at the time to make. Addictions are unfortunate and it hurts to know many people go through some things mentioned in the story. Happy that you enjoyed my work once more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:07 Jul 14, 2023

I begged God, please, but he doesn't seem to be listening to me۔ Initially I felt about the poitic touch۔ in the end the model was clear۔ addiction and addicted to poems۔ oh its dangerous۔ and problems become worse۔

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
21:02 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. The fact that he implored God to quit is saying something. Addiction is never easy to manage and sometimes the victim wants to change but just can't. I am glad that you enjoyed my work. Poetry addiction is no joke. There is always a bad side to anything that's good. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:58 Jul 14, 2023

How are you today, Daniel? Your poetry still makes amazing stories. Tough subject you tackled. Thanks for reading and liking my tacos. Thanks for liking my public speaking fiasco.

Reply

Daniel Fernandes
20:50 Jul 24, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I am okay just in the turmoil of life. I am glad that you are enjoying my stories. Keep writing your stories are great as well. Much love write on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.