PLAY A DEEP GAME

Written in response to: Write a story where the law plays an important role.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

When I set my story on uncharted territories like Rubi Isle and so on I preface it by saying that these are on planet tellus – earth’s twin, about 800 years behind, evolving. If Rubi Isle had a newspaper this is what it would have covered:

 From the RI TIMES: Heavy rain in RI! Many areas flooded. Trees uprooted and houses damaged. A notable among the damaged houses was JOKEND the recently constructed mansion built by Blitz the real estate developer and builder. It was rented by young widow Madam Kyla. It had only two occupants Kyla, and her coachman Kolt who lived in the annexe. The roof of the house had caved in but luckily Kyla escaped with minor injuries. Kolt was found dead. Our special woman correspondent Bixli collected details: Kyla is from neighbouring Zygos and is the wife of cotton magnate Gratz drowned at sea in a storm. Bixli spoke to Kyla:

B: I’m Bixli reporting for RI TIMES. You’re from the land of Zygos. Tell us about yourself and your mission here.

K: I’m 20 and was married to Gratz the cotton magnate. We had a happy life though we had no children despite our best efforts. {Sighs) Even now I wish I could have a son or daughter.

B: I’ve to ask you about something well known. That he was infatuated with the daughter of sugarcane grower.....

K: It is true. He was after that woman before he met me. But later he took to me and was true to me since we were married.

B: There were rumours that Gratz fell on bad times and went elsewhere. It was said his boat was caught in a storm and he was drowned.

K (laughs): Nothing could be farther from the truth about bad times. Gratz has left his considerable property to me. He went on to Monkey Islanda forbidden area - with gold prospecting in mind. Unfortunately his boat was in a storm and he was drowned.

B: Why are you here in RI?

K: Primarily to meet witch Wizma the all knowing woman. I’m also planning to settle here. (stops) I’ve heard Wizma tells people that she accepts their confessions of sins so that they could die untroubled. Later she would stand before God and say she had absolved people of sins so that they are spared severe divine punishment.

B: Kolt is dead.

K: He was loyal to me. He was a good charioteer and had made money.

B: Why did he choose to come with you? Has he no family?

K: No. His wife bore him defective children who all didn’t survive. He ill-treated his wife in consequence and now wanted atonement. So he also came with me to meet Wizma. Unfortunately he is dead.

B: Blitz has given you this place instead of JOKEND. Does it satisfy you?

K: This house is a bit smaller but is convenient. I’m satisfied.

B: Thank you madam.

Further reports from RI TIMES:

According to prevailing law Blitz is forbidden to leave JOKEND in the damaged condition. He has to either clear the debris or repair/ reconstruct the house. The matter has been left to the official mediator Velcro to decide on what happens further. Velcro is reputed to be an adept at taking legal decisions in all cases where there could be disputes. Velcro has inspected another house recently built by Blitz to see if materials used were satisfactory, if design was adequate to provide shelter for some years, and if requirements of safety to occupants had been met with. He has had many meetings with Blitz. Velcro informally said that a lot has to be done by Blitz like compensation to the injured and the dead and about the JOKEND site. We contacted Blitz for his comments on what he has to do but he was initially reluctant saying that Velcro should be approached instead of him. But then he relented and said his finances were now meagre and he may not be able to fulfil all aspects of builders’ obligations in respect of damaged houses.

Report in RI TIMES a few days later: Mediator Velcro has finally ruled as follows:

After careful consideration of all aspects of the case my ruling is as follows:

 JOKEND collapse is an act of God and Blitz is not responsible He is responsible only for using quality materials and to operate by the usually adopted code of practice in house construction. I have forensically examined the collapsed materials from the roof and walls of JOKEND and have found them to be standard. I have surveyed houses built by Blitz and found they all fulfil safety requirements. I have enquired about Blitz’s responses to complaints from those who had bought houses built by him. I found he has a reputation for keeping up to his word and settling issues most amicably. As per law he can’t abandon the collapsed JOKEND in the as is condition. He has to either repair the fallen house or demolish it totally and clear the site. Unfortunately Blitz has claimed business losses and pleaded paucity of funds to do neither. I consider his plea legitimate under the circumstances. Blitz has an obligation to compensate Kyla and Kolt for damage suffered. Blitz could do so partially but Kyla being rich has said she didn’t need any compensation. Kolt has no kin and Blitz has met his funeral expenses. In cases where residences are damaged by an act of God there is a provision that the state treasury should step in to do the needful when the builder is financially incompetent. However Blitz is donating JOKEND to Wizma. Since she is indigent the state will finance the restoration or demolition of her property. It will be up to her to hold or alienate the property. Kyla and Kolt had come to another state on an esoteric mission for expiation of sins and deserve sympathy and compensation by our state as a special case. A quantum equivalent to the builder’s compensation to Kyla and Kolt may be given to Wizma who is Kyla’s spiritual adviser.

A week later RI TIMES reports: As prophesied by Wizma, Kyla’s husband Gratz has safely returned. Grateful Kyla has given a lump sum as reward to Wizma. The case is closed.

To end the story: The case was no doubt closed. But think of what could accrue to Velcro by his ruling if he had an itching palm!

END 

August 09, 2022 07:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.