0 comments

General

It kicks off on a yacht with the delivery of an important letter. It was the big day where there was smiles on people's faces, the day long waited was right here under our nose. The wedding day of Dorothy with her fiancee Phillip had arrived like early parcel of Christmas.

Dorothy sat on the chair in the room when the hair stylist was busy doing some magic on her hair when suddenly there was a knock at the door.

"that might be my dad, "Dorothy said*

philomena who is Dorothy's best friend opened the door, but, at her surprise there was no one there, air met her face. "This is strange, there is no one, philomena thought as she locked the door. While she was walking away knock! Knock! she turned back to open the door but this time with anger, "Is it a joke?

"Excuse me ma'am, "a voice called unto Philomena but where could the voice be coming from. She was startled when she felt her dress being pulled. As tall as philomena was as a giraffe, looked down and only to see a short guy looking up to her.

"A letter for Miss Dorothy, "he said,

"Philomena, who is it? Dorothy asked

"It's a post master who has delivery letter for you, "answered Philomena. Dorothy stood from her seat and headed towards the door.

"Sign here, "as Dorothy took the pen and signed on a book that the man was carrying.

"Thank you, sir"as she held the letter on her hand shaking over her ears in case is not a bomb or something else.

"Who could have send me this letter, "Dorothy kept on asking over her thought. Time was going fast and they were getting late to go to church. No matter how the best girls were happy, but, her mind was not settled regarding to the letter.

"Darling! What's the matter, "Philomena asked holding Dorothy's hand.

Dorothy looked at her friend and all you could see was that something was disturbing her mind that fear overwhelmed her not to spit it out.

"Is it the letter? Why open it and read first, "Philomena said*

"You think so, "Dorothy answered *

"Yes! darling to get a piece of mind, "said Philomena.

Holding the letter on her right hand, flipping open as she started reading the letter. Tears flowed over her face that made the makeup to be like soil erosion. The emotional letter from her dear mother, her hand shaking vigorously telling her of her dad's death.

Dorothy couldn't stand one in a minute, she was down on the floor. Philomena rushed towards Dorothy all In panic as she called , Dorothy! Dorothy!

Lying there on the floor in a state that she was not moving, the letter scattered beside her. Philomena reached for her phone, "hello! We need an ambulance *

Philomena picked the letter from the floor as she read it tears rolling over her face. Siren was heard, and there was a knock at the door. Paedriatrics came in carrying the the stretcher, trying hard to save the life of Dorothy.

"Please! Save her, "Philomena told them as she cried. The siren from the ambulance had attracted people in the neighborhood , gathering outside, "what's going on? Murmuring upon each other.

"We need to take her to the hospital,*

Dorothy was placed onto the stretcher, carrying her into the ambulance.

"Don't worry darling am coming with you, fight and be strong, "Philomena said as she boarded into the ambulance as it drove off.

"Miss! Miss! Stay with us

Dorothy was getting difficulty in breathing as she struggled. The doctors put oxygen on her.

"We are loosing her, "the doctor gave her shot of injection, Philomena cried bitterly and was in great panic, "what's going on with her?

"Be calm, we are trying to save her*

At last the ambulance arrived at the hospital, Dorothy being rushed into intensive unit and door shut. Philomena could not stop being more worried as hours went by and there was no news regarding to Dorothy.

*************

The church was already full at the brim and the impatient visitors had started building up. All gathered in groups, "what is taking long the bridegroom? only left to talk to each other.

The groom all dressed up in white tuxedo walking round and about not knowing why his bridegroom was taking too long to arrive in the church. Phillip could not settle down one in a bit, trying to make a call and there was no one answering.

"Be calm son, she will soon be here*

"But when? Look at the time and people are restless and they will soon be leaving, "Phillip said. His dad comforted him to be patient and relax. Phillip sat down but his heart was not at peace as he stood up again.

"I better go and look for them, "Phillip said

The phone rang and he answered immediately, "hello!

The call was from Dorothy's friend Philomena who was crying on the phone.

"Phillip, come to the Central Badlin hospital, "Philomena said

"What's Wrong? Where is Dorothy? Phillip asked becoming more and more worked up.

"Dorothy fainted and right now we are at the hospital ", Philomena said and before the call could go off, Phillip dropped down his phone breaking into pieces as he ran out of the church.

Phillip! the dad followed him shouting at him, Phillip zoomed away with the vehicle. Phillip was in a hurry to reach the hospital, speeding the vehicle like a safari rally. Long distance truck was coming towards him, causing head to head collision.

people ran towards the scene trying hard to save people from the wreckage. Phillip was dead by then as they removed his body, the lifeless bloody body laid there. The police came to the scene as the bodies were wrapped up in body bags and transfered to Central Badlin mortuary.

Philomena saw the bodies being brought in and hit her conscious. "What's going on?

"There was an accident along the highway, and no one survived, "the nurse said. Philomena holding onto her chin, "how sad and I could think the pain that the family is going through*

A man and his wife came rushing into the hospital, by the look on their faces they were much more than worried with tears rolling from their faces talking to the nurse in the receptionist.

"Excuse me nurse! People who were involved in the highway accident, "the elderly man asked.

Looking through the book, "what's the name?

"Phillip Anderson, "the elderly man said which made Philomena to rise from the seat, "you said Phillip Anderson?

yes! the elderly man responded back to Philomena *

"The bridegroom Dorothy is here and has been in a coma for a while now, how is Phillip? talk to us, "Philomena asked as the nurse nodded her head, "am sorry no one survived and Phillip was brought here dead.

What!

Phillip's dad fell down and collapsed dying there instantly, inspite of doctors trying to save him but he was already gone. There were screams as they wept bitterly, Philomena stood beside the wall holding her heart when she saw the doctor walking towards her.

"Doctor, how is my friend Dorothy?

"Am sorry we tried to save her but am afraid we lost her, "the doctor said.

"What are you saying doctor? holding the doctor's collar as Philomena shook him, screaming so hard with tears rolling from her eyes.

Oh God!

The pain in her heart she could not control, overwhelmed by sadness through her eyes seeing the lifeless body of her friend lying there on the bed, all covered with white sheet.

"I can't believe that you slipped away from my hands without a goodbye, never to see you again, "Philomena said emotional words and to hugged Dorothy's mother who had no strength to walk , but live with a state of shock.

The dark wedding that turned the bright sky to be darkened and what was left were tears like rains as the four coffins were carried hand in hand on the same day for the burial at the cemetery.

The wedding that turned out to be the dark wedding on Saturday, happiness buried as emotional tears filled the air.

"Goodbye till we meet again!


Copyright written by Joan Opoyi


*************









November 04, 2019 20:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.