18 comments

Coming of Age Black Creative Nonfiction

Dear Dad,

It has been almost forty years since you stepped out of my life in the most cliché-ridden manner possible. Not just a bad heart that attacked you; not just on the day that you were to be released from hospital; not just when all the signs were good for you and your health. It was the day itself that stays with me.

Seriously? December 23rd? I guess that you really wanted to avoid the holidays that year, right?

Sorry, bad joke. They seem to be the only kinds I have when I think about you. We had even purchased a gift for you (Christmas gift? Welcome back gift?). They were headphones that you would have approved of, I think. And what bothers me even more than this is the fact that I was not even at home when we learned the news. It was relayed to me at my godparents’ home (Mom had gone to the hospital to pick you up). I was told in the crush of my godmother’s hug and tears on my neck. She kept saying, “I’m so sorry. I’m sorry.” Now that I think of it, no one ever actually said that you were dead. I inferred it rather quickly as I walked downstairs and found myself in the basement with two rather indifferent relatives. I told them you were gone and they did not know what to say in the moment (to be fair, they were watching Scooby-Doo, so I completely understand now). We all ended up drinking Coca-Cola and watching “A Christmas Carol” while that same home filled up with other relatives. My mom assured me that I was not alone. And I believed her. Not so sure I believe her now; not even sure I believed her then. Why would I?

I was ten years old.

*

Again, cliché met cliché. It made me anti-social and hard to handle for much of my childhood and adolescence. I could not look at the behavior around me and think that I was a part of that life (family, school, friends, work, etc.) I always looked at people from a distance. This made it almost impossible for me to get truly involved with other people, and it just got worse as I got older. High school was the usual teen nightmare of humiliations and confusion. University brought some freedoms and a reprieve, as did working overseas, but returning back to my home made me think that I had dropped myself right back into the same pain and nonsense I had imagined I escaped from. But no, here I am, right back in it.

And it is right back to you. You beat me. You told me that I was useless. You said that I was weaker than relatives I had never met. You humiliated me. You forced me to hide what I was for fear of other people doing to me what you did. And after all of these years, you still exist as a bad shadow in my head…

…Bad shadow. You like that one? I guess one thing that you could not take from me was my use and love of language. I have been praised for my writing and had my work published, shared and printed in journals, magazines, newspapers, and online. That is why I continue to contribute to at least three separate pages on the Internet and write to my mother. And you. This is actually part two of my correspondence with you. I saw a therapist at school (McGill University – impressed?) who encouraged me to write to you. I did, in a white notebook that I still own and store next to some journals – another habit that grew with your passing. The only mistake I made with it was writing to you in a public place. In a café, my hands were shaking as I filled up the pages with my anger. I do not have the same reaction to my scribbling tonight. I think this is because I have some positive things to say about you.

*

There was comedy. I am still baffled by you and how you approached the things that made us laugh together. We watched The Carol Burnett Show, Cheech and Chong movies (!) and even Dave Allen. It was the latter that really stands out for me. His program, Dave Allen at Large, was one that I would run home from school to watch with you. And I wonder why I enjoyed those moments with you. His jokes were about alcohol, sex, relations between men and women, death and – most often in his routine – religion. Mr. Allen’s take on the Catholic Church, God and religious faith, were remarkable for their time. They were remarkable in a household where I once caught you watching The 700 Club and had the first real critique of you:

“Dad, you cannot be serious.”

I was still a little kid. I do not know where that voice came from, but maybe there was some part of me that wondered how anyone could hear Mr. Allen’s monologues, or watch one of his skits, and still find himself moved by the nonsense put forward by Pat Robertson and his followers. He was on the screen actually praying on his knees, hand up to channel something with a partner. At least you were not on your knees. At least you heard me.

“Big talk from a kid who can’t properly comb his hair.”

And that was it. That was all you could say.

And we still kept on watching the comedy together.

Truly baffling.

So, what did I learn from you?

Well, I learned that I wanted to be in your presence, no matter how awkward or low I felt because of what you said or did. And that meant watching comedy and sharing a laugh when I could. My younger self is still recovering from the constant shuffling from joy to fear and my older self is processing a lot of anxiety that I thought remained buried in my thoughts.

*

I also learned that you were a reader, despite all the odds you faced in your life. We had few books in our collection and I enjoyed what I could: the ancient atlas, the split dictionary (divided along the L section) and various political tracts.

Ah, those tracts… Being a child who read Mao’s Little Red Book before reading any Shakespeare probably altered my mind in ways that I will never be able to measure. You had a political interest in how systems work. But there was something else that disturbed me about your curiosity.

You had a well-read biography…of Adolf Hitler. I would not have made much of this – a black West Indian Nazi-lover does not really make a lot of sense – but when I was working in the garage, I found one of your wrenches and noticed something scratched into the handle: a small swastika. I never mentioned this to anyone in my family and may never discuss it beyond this piece. What could I say about having a father interested in the Nazis and their beliefs? What could I say after seeing such a thing (no one else has noticed it yet)?

I learned that you could also be generous. You bought me my first bike. I still remember you taking me to the park and telling me to ride around to get the hang of it. This sounds like a typical rite of passage, except that you had me riding around in the parking lot. It was in one of the municipal parks and I remember that the surface of that lot was rutted, full of dried dirt and mud. This was not the best place for me to learn about stability and balance on a bike. I still do not understand why we did not use any of the paths separate from this section of the park. Those paths, as I learned much later, were paved, smooth, and often clear of pedestrians in the summer. And you were, once again, always disappointed when I fell over, which was too often for you.

I never learned to ride with you there. It was when I returned to the neighborhood that I finally found the people who could help me: my friends. Positive reinforcement really does matter. And it is a real shame that you never learned this.

I began this trying to understand you and what I went through as a child. I tried to be sympathetic to what I knew of your own childhood and the difficulties of being raised poor by an abusive mother who drank heavily (something that deserves its own article). I tried to forgive you for many, many years.

But what is the point?

The last lesson here is that there is no lesson here. Plenty of people have dealt with terrible parents and painful memories and just moved on…and that is what I intend to do. There is no reason for me to continue writing anything else about you and this is going to be the last article I ever write about you. And it is my way of keeping my mind and thoughts clear.

That is all, Dad.

And I thank you.

Your son,

KD

July 31, 2024 00:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Jenny Cook
02:04 Aug 10, 2024

Kendall,thank you for sharing your difficult childhood with us. The fact that you can recount it and show how you triumphed despite everything is inspiring. The human spirit is so strong...

Reply

Kendall Defoe
02:25 Aug 10, 2024

It can be strong or weak. It can be very human, too. I thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:58 Aug 03, 2024

Good grief. Brings tears to my eyes. If one-up-man-ship enters this, my Dad was worse than yours. I won't mention the grief he put my mother through when the police became aware of the things he did in the neighborhood. Or, the other woman he latched on to before he left my mother pregnant with three other children. Me being the oldest. He broke in one time and robbed us while we were out. He took my mother's headboard off the bed, and we had no sofa. He also took the easy chairs. He paid no child support. Years later when my mother remarrie...

Reply

Kendall Defoe
05:45 Aug 04, 2024

I won't say, "You win," but... And I often wonder what my father would have done had he lived longer (a part of me feels one of us would be in jail while the other would be the reason why he was in jail). And yes, humour helps. I meet too many humorless people in this world and wonder how they get through the day...or their lives. Thank you for revealing more than I could. I held back on some details, but they may come out...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
19:40 Aug 01, 2024

I never met my father's high standards, he wanted Shirley Temple, but got Daisy Duck, and let me know it. I hope writing has been a release for you; you have been brave and honest, as well as a great writer.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
19:56 Aug 01, 2024

My dad wanted me to be a sports fanatic; my mom wanted me to be a priest...and study tap-dancing. By now, I could have been a tap-dancing priest. Ha, ha. Anyway, thank you for the comments. I think that I am brave and honest, but I still have a long way to go.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:47 Aug 01, 2024

Good to release it out of your heart.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
19:57 Aug 01, 2024

It still resides there. But some of it is getting out and not getting in.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
10:47 Jul 31, 2024

Kendall, this was lovely. Raw, heartfelt, emotive. Lovely work !

Reply

Kendall Defoe
11:29 Jul 31, 2024

The truth often is...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
03:04 Aug 07, 2024

I really didn't know what to say about this - had to go away and come back. Poignant is probably the one word which sums it up, but it's so much more. A masterclass in how to portray a very complex character in a way that not only keeps the reader hooked but also provides much depth of understanding is what I'm thinking. Oh, and I appreciate the mention of Dave Allen too - always a favourite of mine when I was a child.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
14:41 Aug 07, 2024

I had to sit here for a moment before responding to your praise. I never thought it would be seen as a masterclass in characterization, but maybe I have touched on something important in my life, and this had to come out. And I'm sure we are not alone in our appreciation of Mr. Allen! I thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:26 Aug 03, 2024

Your last lesson is probably the hardest to learn, but the most important one. Well said.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
18:56 Aug 03, 2024

And lessons never end...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bill Cusano
13:13 Aug 03, 2024

Kendall, in the pain, the joy, the sadness and the honesty, I see someone looking for a sense of purpose. What I get from your story is what you offered your father by sharing the comedy time with him. You let him be himself, which may have been his biggest struggle in life. I wonder what it would be like for you to write his response to your letters.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
18:58 Aug 03, 2024

Ah, I have thought of that. I need to know more about his life first. Anything beyond what I heard would just be hearsay. Thanks for the comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Neha Magesh
21:02 Aug 02, 2024

Kendall, this had me in tears! Beautiful piece.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
21:36 Aug 02, 2024

I thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.