As long as I am here no one can hurt you

Written in response to: Write a story where an important conversation takes place during a dance.... view prompt

0 comments

LGBTQ+ Romance Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

TW: Spiked drink in night club (detected on time), swearing

Summary:

Two times Singer Alejandro Diaz looked out for a handsome blonde guy in the crowd
One time they were strangers
One time they were husbands


2016

Alejandro is performing at a dance event in a queer bar in New York City.

The money is shit but that doesn't matter when you're trying to build a career from the ground up.

The fact that anyone is actually paying him to sing when he's used to performing for free in shitty bars means the world to him.

He used to beg to get to perform somewhere for a couple of minutes, for free, tonight he was asked. 

It feels career-defining.

In other words, he really can't afford to make a scene or screw this up in any other way, so he promised himself to be on his best behavior.

After all, he's just a nobody with an okay voice and a nice face, there are millions of people just like him.

He knows that so he's very grateful for the opportunity and determined to give this Queer nightclub all he's got.

And after he's done performing he'll stick around for once because where he's usually surrounded by white men in their late forties, who aggressively drink beer while making controversial comments, the people here actually seem fun.

The floor isn't sticky, the lights are colorful, the crowd is diverse, they serve more than the usual overpriced beer, and most of the partygoers are his age and not entirely unimportant...beautiful.

In true Bisexual fashion, he's already spotted five girls and three guys he'd like to buy a drink for.

And then his eyes fall on him.

.

Somewhere in the crows, he spots a tall, blonde guy with eyes as blue as the sky and a smile that could light up the whole room.

He's dancing shyly, wearing a light blue button that matches his eyes and he's watching Alejandro with a pleased smile.

Not to be dramatic or anything but if he'd be able to agree the gorgeous stranger to dance with him later tonight, Alejandro could die a happy man.

He didn't even know people this pretty actually walked around in normal places outside of model shows and Hollywood.

He genuinely can't believe he just spotted this Greek god in the Wild.

There is absolutely no way a man that good-looking is single, Alejandro knows that, after all this isn't his first day on planet Earth.

And for the off chance he is single... well then he must be a huge dick, because who wouldn't want to date this man that looks like a statue of a Greek god that came to live?

Alejandro blinks mid-song just to make sure the beautiful stranger is real and not simply an act of his imagination.

Yup, he's still there when he opens his eyes again.

Well, Alejandro knows who he's buying a drink for after his performance.

At first, he assumed the stunning guy was dating the cute black guy in the hot pink leather jacket, who threw an arm around him at some point, but he just caught the same guy passionately making out with a drag queen.

So he thinks he's in the clear.

At least he hopes so.

He's aware that he's staring, but the beautiful stranger doesn't seem creeped out and his hyperactive adhd brain has always been most at ease if he had a singular point to focus his attention on, so he can zone out a little and protect himself from the judgemental looks in the crowd.

His sister and her wife are out here somewhere, but they're probably making out in a corner now that there at a place where it's safe to do such a thing in public.

Usually, he looks at them when he needs a friendly face to focus on to ease his nerves.

But he likes his current view much better.

He's harshly interrupted from staring at the beautiful man when he notices some fucker slip something into the guy's drink.

Something said beautiful man would probably notice if he weren't so focused on Alejandro.

He freezes.

He needs to save this stranger.

Now.

Of course, he'd have the same reaction no matter whose drink just got spiked, it's just that he probably wouldn't have noticed if it were someone else's drink because Alejandro has only been looking at one person.

But he noticed alright?

Just as he notices the tall, black-haired creep say something to the dancing blonde that makes him laugh.

Oh if only he knew.

Alejandro is still debating on how he can save the stranger when he notices the creep hold his own cup against the blonde's in a cheer motion to get him to take a sip.

Oh, absolutely not.

No one is getting drugged and taken advantage of on Alejandro's watch.

He makes a dramatic gesture and is delighted when the band actually listens and abruptly cuts the music.

Everybody abruptly stops dancing and all eyes snatch up toward the stage now that the loud music has died down.

Alejandro is only looking at one person though.

"Can we get a spotlight on the crowd?" He asks the man who is in control of the lights.

People cheer in anticipation.

Oh, they have no idea what they're about to be hit with.

"Yes. Perfect. That's him. Put the spotlight on him please."

The cute stranger grins at him.

Which would be fun if the circumstances were different.

He shakes his head at the light technics.

"No, not the cute blonde one, the man on his left. Yes. Exactly. That one. Hey, fucker."

Everyone gasps.

Alejandro fixes the creep with a look.

"Bet you didn't think anyone would notice that you spiked that poor guy's drink, huh? Well, I did. Get the fuck out here, you creep.'

The audience starts booing the creep as the beautiful man stares at the creep and then at Alejandro with wide eyes.

That's when the cute black guy comes back into view, he rips the drink out of the guy's hand and throws it on the ground.

That's when Alejandro can finally breathe again.

He gives the cute guy a small smile. "No worries, sweetheart. I'd love to buy you a new drink after this song, yeah?"

Bewildered blue eyes snap up to him, he stares at him with wide eyes for a few seconds and then he nods.

Alejandro grins.

"Sorry for the interruption, guys. If you talked to the creep at any point tonight, I suggest you throw away your drinks, make some phone calls, and make sure you get home safe before the drugs potentially kick in. So sorry to ruin your night. Now let's get this party started again".

He'd promised himself not to cause chaos, but he assumes he gets a pass for interrupting the dance for an important conversation regarding the safety of one of the guests.

After another song, Alejandro lays the guitar he borrowed carefully down on stage for the next amateur singer.

He steps off stage and is met with his sister and her wife.

'You're a fucking hero, Al', Soraya says proudly.

He doesn't feel like a hero and shrugs. "It was the Civil thing to do".

"I can't thank you enough regardless", a sexy voice says from behind him.

Fuck and he's British too?

Damn.

Alejandro shakes his head. "No need to thank me for basic decency. It was simply the right thing to do. Now I don't want you to feel like you owe me anything because you don't, but I'd love to buy you a new drink since I am kind of guilty for what happened to the other one".

The blonde scoffs. "Yeah, how dare you let me know someone slipped a date-rape drug in my drink?'

Alejandro raises an eyebrow at him. "Is that a no or a yes to a clean drink?"

The cute guy whose name he still doesn't know shakes his head. "It's a no to letting you buy a drink for me.'

Alejandro fucking knew a guy that beautiful couldn't possibly be single.

He nods in understanding. "That's fine. Have a good night, man, and get home safe."

The guy shakes his head with a smile. "I would however love to buy you a drink. It would be a shame to make you spend the money you just earned fair and square from that beautiful performance. My name is Quinn by the way.'

Alejandro looks up surprised and then chuckles. "Oh, well in that case lead the way, sweetheart.'

2024

The entire arena is sold out for Alejandro's tour, which is mind-blowing, especially considering how he started.

His eyes fall onto the VIP section filled with his favorite people.

Among the crowd stands his husband, he doesn't necessarily fit into the image because no matter how many times Alejandro had begged he still hadn't been able to convince Quinn to wear a leather jacket.

It's fine. He'll always be the prettiest man in every room regardless of what he wears.

Quinn is holding a little black girl on his hip.

They look adorable together, Alejandro hopes someone took pictures of Aliyah's first concert 

He had been skeptical to let their daughter come to the concert but they didn't have a babysitter.

Everyone they trust is here tonight to watch this milestone in Alejandro's career.

So they had no one to watch Ally because they're not comfortable with hiring a stranger to babysit now that Alejandro has risen to fame.

it's not like Alejandro really thinks a 16-year-old is going to kidnap their two-year-old daughter for ransom money, but it's not worth the risk 

And he's also not particularly looking forward to someone robbing their home, they live in a fancy, gated community for a reason.

So that's why Aliyah is here tonight, of course like the responsible parents they are, they bought headphones for her, the pink plastic things are so huge and cover half her head, it's an adorable sight.

Alejandro grins at Quinn, he smiles back and Aliyah enthusiastically waves at her papi while bouncing around in her daddy's arms.

Alejandro chuckles before cringing when he realizes the crowd just heard him chuckle between lyrics.

he takes his eyes off his husband and their daughter for one second to look at all the other people who came here tonight when his eye falls on a bunch of teenagers who are pushing people to get closer to the stage.

rude.

Look it's cute that they want to see Alejandro perform so badly, but he's not thrilled about his fans getting pushed and thrown around by a few fanstruck teens.

Even if their t-shirts with his face on them are pretty cool

He debates whether he's going to say something about it

He doesn't want to be a fun killer but he also doesn't want someone to get injured when they were simply trying to listen to Alejandro sing.

He'd feel so guilty if one of his fans got hurt at his concert.

He's still debating what to do when it's time for the next song.

Then suddenly the teens scream and start pushing people out of their way violently to get to the front of the stage as the new song starts.

Alejandro knows the teens paid a lot of money for these VIP passes, but he's sick of their behavior and wants to throw them out of his concert.

As if on cue they reach his husband, he watches in horror as multiple teens violently push him out of the way so they can snatch his perfect spot right in Alejandro's line of view.

Quinn loses his balance like people tend to do when they're violently shoved out of the way by 4 people.

Quinn hangs on to Aliyah for dear life, changing their positions so that if they fall she will fall on top of him instead of underneath him, to make sure she won't get crushed by her 6-foot-tall daddy.

Father of the Year award right there.

Speaking of good fathers Alejandro watches as his own father catches Quinn right before he and Aliyah could go crashing down.

Aliyah is giggling at her abuelo, at least someone found what just happened amusing.

Oh, These teens have no idea about the damage they just caused.

He motions for the music to stop.

"can I get a spotlight on the crowd?" He asks.

"Yes. Stop right there. Great. Good job. Can you remove those people from my concert? Please. Thanks."

Security comes rushing in as Alex starts the song back up, he watches as they escort the screaming fans out, but then to his horror, they grab Quinn's arms.

So he cuts the music again.

"Oh, absolutely not. Get your hands off him. I wasn't talking about my fucking husband, you fool", he hisses at the security guard.

Then he freezes.

Well, that's one way to reveal your relationship to the public.

He clears his throat to apologize to the poor security guard.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have called you a fool. I know you're just doing your job. I am just done watching my husband get touched without his consent and thrown around like a rag doll. Kindly remove the teens next to him who almost made my husband and daughter fall. Yes. Great. Thanks."

Well now that the secret is out there he might as well take advantage of it.

"You okay, baby? Yeah? You too, Ally? Yeah? Cool. Great. Yes, guys, I know, I know he's very pretty and she's adorable. I know. Did you think I lied about that pretty face in my songs? Okay, where was I-"

It's a good thing that he came out as bisexual to the public ages ago and that Quinn is out and proud as a gay man.

Things could have been worse.


June 13, 2024 18:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.