0 comments

Christian Inspirational Drama

Birthing Purpose through Death

When she looked back, Deb reflected how many times she succeeded in life. This journey called life, had swung some big blows of disappointment in missed opportunity. Deb also reflected as she pondered in her memories of much success in great endeavors from much sweat and tears. She was an overachiever who always anticipated and looked for opportunities in her life.

Somehow, she thought, “This time I will succeed, everything will work out for the best”. Deb was also an optimist who looked at the glass half full while she walked in life and fulfilled her dreams. There was never a dull moment as she lived life to the fullest.

Deb was a dreamer and aimed her goals like an arrow being shot out to a target, never missing the mark because she believed in the power of prayer. Her life consisted of relying on faith in God and his hand in guiding her footsteps in life.

Many adventures had unfolded with Deb’s life from doing mission work to traveling around the United States singing on television with her husband, Larry. She and her husband were a team in ministry for many years reaching every culture as speakers in churches and teaching others how to collect food and clothes from those who had substance and desired to share to those who were hurting.

Deb and Larry had two sons, Jacob and James, who was taught the way of missions and how to love others in a practical way. They too participated in the collections of things to give to the hurting and those who faced adversity in their lives. 

One day, Larry was experiencing medical issues in his body so he went to the doctor and had blood work taken. When the test came back, the diagnosis was cancer. Deb and Larry along with their sons were shocked and distraught from the bad report.

By this time, Jake and James have grown into men and were attending college while their mom and Dad pastored a mission church locally. Many years have passed and many accomplishments were made with the hand of God guiding their ministry family. This bad news was like a rock being thrown into a window that once was flowing with a picture of assurance and grace but, now, the window had shattered into pieces.

Deb fought through her disappointment and shook off the shock of the bad medical report while in the waiting room with Larry and her grown children. This life’s journey had taken an unexpected curve but, Deb knew how to pray and she knew how to regroup her focus and take life a day at a time.

The faith she and Larry had through those years in ministry had prepared both of them for such a time as this when their faith was tried by fire. She never dreamed of the what if something like this would happen when a curve ball was thrown in the game of life.

Every day was different as more doctor appointments were made and every diagnosis with treatment wavered like a rollercoaster where Larry nor Deb could get off the ride. All they could do was hold on and pray for a miracle.

One year passed then, two years went by. The bills were piling up with no relief in sight. Hardship happens to all but, when a person is in the middle of the trial by fire, it’s hard to see the purpose for the pain. 

By the forth year, Larry had taken a turn for the worst. It took everything within Deb to keep the faith while fighting off the why’s in this long cancer journey her husband had faced. They have been faithful in life and now this cancer journey! Deb knew God could see the bigger picture in life even though she could.

Soon, Larry took his last breath on this earth. Deb put her head down in her hands as she sobbed with great grief and questioned God, “Lord, now the ministry is dead, we’ve always been faithful to help others as a team but, my husband is gone!”

Deep within despair, Deb at that moment heard the still small voice in her spirit say, “I’m doing a new thing, I’m giving you a new song”. She lifted up her head towards heaven, knowing her God had responded with a slight flicker of hope that still burned within her soul. Deb wasn’t sure what that meant but believed even with a small light of faith, she would carry on to look for her new purpose in life.

During the last months of Larry, her late husband’s life, Deb began journaling about her feelings and each day’s events. She reflected back to the journal that had tear stains where she cried at times when the roller coaster dived down in disappointment and grief. While Deb read through her journal, all of a sudden, that still small voice deep within her very being spoke again, “You will bless many with a book to bring encouragement and hope to those who are going through the fire of life. I will use you to heal the broken hearted and restore faith within their hearts.

Everyday after this, Deb continued writing in her journal of the past four years of the Cancer Journey with her late husband, Larry. She wrote how God put scriptures and encouraging encounters of those who gave words of encouragement as they expressed faith in their own testimonies in life.

Then one day, Deb at the office where she worked, received a phone call from a man who had his book recently published. As Deb shared with him she was writing a book and was almost finished with it, this man spoke up, “Would you like me to introduce you to my publisher?” Deb could feel her heart beat with hope and anticipation once again as in the past. Others had told her an unknown author wouldn’t be able to get a traditional publisher but this time, God dropped this unexpected window of opportunity in her lap!

After the interview with the publisher, within a week, Deb had a contract signed. The book now has been published as God proved his promise that he was doing a new thing and he gave Deb a new song in her heart of hope and purpose. 

Death had birthed a new vision and vigor for life as destiny unfolded to help others find their way through life’s dark tunnel. Now, others are guided to the light of hope, a light that all things work together for good to those who love God, and called according to his purpose. If Larry hadn’t gone through the cancer journey, the book would have never been written.

Written by,

Debra Young-Waller

June 04, 2021 20:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.