Did Dan go home?

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write a story involving a character who cannot return home.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Contemporary Drama

Dan was desperate. Working across the globe in a country far away from home, He yearned to go home. Very often, he dreamt of how he would return home bearing gifts and meet all his family members. But right now, his work kept him far away, and he was only communicating via Skype. He found it rather frustrating.

                                                     Having been away for over a decade now, he was looking forward to taking a sabbatical from his company and go home for a year or so of leave. Dan was a computer professional working in the software industry. His specialty was testing tools and he achieved good success in that area.

                                                     The CEO of his company, Janet, was a woman who was totally dedicated to the company. She slept, ate, and drank the company and had no other interest in life. On the wrong side of 45, she was unlikely to develop new interests now. Perhaps because of this, she was rather brusque with the other employees. None of them liked her, not that she cared two hoots about it.

                                                     Mustering the courage to approach her in the morning, Dan knocked gently on her door after checking with her secretary, Carol. Janet nodded at him as he walked in. Sitting on the edge of the chair, Dan began.

                                                     "Janet, I have been working in this company for over a decade now. I would like to take some time off to go back home to visit my family. Am thinking of taking a sabbatical of sorts if you agree. Maybe I can be back in one year or so."

                                                     Janet frowned. She looked straight at Dan. If he was any other employee, he would have wilted at her look. But Dan was different. He continued to look coolly at her, waiting for her to respond.

                                                     "From the company's viewpoint, it will be difficult to let you go, Dan. You are good at your job, and we will find it difficult to manage without you."

                                                     Dan was a shrewd fellow. He expected her to say this. He had prepared to answer this objection. He replied,

                                                    "I have trained Harry to manage all the basic functions of our section well. He can hold the fort for me till I come back. If there are any new tools coming up, he will confer with me online and proceed with my advice. I do have a succession plan for my section even if I am going on leave only for one year."

                                                    Janet, for once, was flabbergasted. She was desperately trying for some excuses to deny Dan, his leave.

                                                    "What about your work permit and the visa issues, you have to work on it too, I think?" she ventured.

                                                    "I have them all under control, Janet. My work visa is valid for two years now and I have got clearance from the ministry for a visit to my home country."

                                                    Dan handed over the relevant documents to her. She was dumbstruck.

                                                    "You seem to be bent upon going, Dan. Don't you care for our company?"

                                                    "Caring much for the company, I built up my section for over a decade, taking no leave at all. But I have to think of my parents and siblings too. I owe them a long visit Janet."

                                                    "Let me discuss with the Board members tomorrow. I will let you know the next day." Janet was sharp and frowning as she glanced at Dan.

                                                    Dan was a master planner. He had already talked about his leave and prepped up the key members of the Board. So, he was not unhappy. He shrugged his shoulders.

                                            "That is fine by me, Janet. I will meet you again, the day after."

                                            He left her chamber. As he passed through the front office, he smiled sweetly at Carol and went to his cubicle in the office.

                                            Harry looked at him eagerly. Harry was Dan's mentee in the corporation. Being young and having an aptitude, he learned the skills quickly and had come upon the ladder with the mentoring of Dan.

                                            Smiling, Dan said, "Just as I expected, she asked about the work and visa regulations, etc. When I told her, you will manage, she could not say anything. I gave her copies of my two-year work permit and visa too. She said as I thought, "I will discuss with the Board tomorrow and let you know."

                                            Dan did not share with Harry the negotiations he had with some of the board members. He just smiled and said, "I will come to know their decision the day after, Harry."

                                            Harry too smiled, "You are the only one who can manage to get something out of our CEO easily. I am so glad that you are my immediate boss. I keep learning things from you every day. I will miss having you around for such a long time Dan!"

                                            There seems to be quite some discussion heatedly at the Board meeting. Dan was not able to get hold of the proceedings. But he met Carol as she sauntered into the canteen for a late lunch.

                                            "What's happening in the Board room, Carol?"

                                            "Will you buy me lunch if I tell you?" sweetly, Carol asked.

                                            "Have already ordered your favorite curry for you, my dear, come let us sit in that far corner." He replied as he walked her to that table.

                                                     "I could not hear the whole discussion, Dan. But there was a lot of heated discussion through this morning. The third item on the agenda was about your long leave. Janet kept opposing it tooth and nail. Some of the members were for you. The Chairman was to give the final comment when they broke for lunch."

                                                     His eyes gleaming, Dan said, "So after lunch, the final die will be cast? Will it be in my favor? Will I be able to go home this time?"

                                                     "No one can predict, Dan. Wait patiently. I will tell you before we leave for home."

                                                     "Thank you, Carol," Dan said and they companionably finished their lunch.

                                                     Back in his cubicle, Dan was just looking up his email. There was an urgent email from the Ministry of Home affairs. He sat entranced as he read it. In legalese, it explained that they had reconsidered their decision and have canceled their permission for him to leave the country for now. In fact, they suggested that he apply for a permanent residency due to his fine record.

                                                    Dan was blowing off steam. he saw another email pop up. The provisional work visa he had for two years was canceled due to administrative reasons, it informed him. That means, thought Dan, "I have to work on getting it again. It means many visits to the attorney and the Home office." He moaned.

                                                     Just as he was wondering why things are falling apart, he heard Carol come in. She slithered into the seat in front of him. She was looking glum. "Janet won this time Dan. They are not releasing you," she whispered.

                                                     "What did the Chairman do? Wasn't he favorable to me?" he blubbered.

                                                     "Janet made a long presentation of why you are invaluable and essential for the work of the company. Even the Chairman was convinced! I am sorry for you dear Dan."

                                                     "All things are going against me, Carol. My head is splitting. Let me go."

                                                     "Take care, Dan. Take Harry with you." cautioned Carol as she went to speak to Harry.

                                                     Both Harry and Dan were at the local pub. Dan had more than his fair share of bitters. he was wistful and cynical. "Me not going home now buddy. Not allowed to."

                                                     "Don't worry Dan. A time will come for you to go home. Perhaps soon." Harry was trying to comfort him.

                                                     Danny slammed the table with his mug, " I AM NOT BEING ALLOWED TO GO HOME!" He slobbered.

                                                     All eyes turned to their little table. The bartender came running to them. "Sir, please do not shout" he pleaded with Dan. He signed to Harry to take him away.

                                                     Harry managed to maneuver Dan out of the pub. He took him into his car and made him sit in his passenger seat. By the time Harry turned and sat in the driver's seat, Dan had slumped over the seat and had gone to a deep slumber.

Harry sighed. "It is going to be a difficult night for me."

                                                     He gently drove Dan to his bachelor's pad. he extracted him from the car and walked him over to his room. He made him undress and lie down on his bed. Dan was murmuring incoherently all through.

                                                     The next day Harry called Dan. There was no response. "He must be having a stiff hangover. Maybe he is sleeping it off? " He thought. He felt that he should look him up before he went to the office. He took a detour and came to Dan's pad. He rang the bell repeatedly. There was no answer.

                                                     "Why is he not opening the door?"

                                            Meanwhile, Ralph came that way and looked at Harry. "What's with your friend Dan, mate?" he asked companionably, "Is he sleeping it off?" He was the friendly janitor.

                                            "To be on the safe side, let's open the door and check, Ralph,"

                                            They opened the door and went in. The bedroom door was ajar, and they could see that Dan was still lying down. They went in.

                                           "Hey mate, is he breathing?"

                                            Harry quickly tried to find a pulse. He couldn't. He was sweating as he called for an ambulance. He tried to feel and see if Dan was breathing.

                                            The sirens sounded harsh as they came closer. The Emergency Technician walked in, had a glance, and checked him up. He looked at his eyes with a torch. He and his mate quickly did a cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

                                  In minutes, they gave up and told Harry, "Sorry mate. It is all over now."

                                            Weeping profusely, Harry told Ralph, "He will never be going home now." Ralph too was broken. "No mate,” Ralph sobbed, “Dan has gone home."

June 15, 2021 16:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Bonnie Clarkson
02:16 Jun 30, 2021

"She slithered into the seat" is good imagery. "Manuever out of the club" is good too. You could leave off the "managed to" and just say "manuevered". A sentence about wobbly legs or something would give even more of a picture. Be careful in your use of very. You said "very often". How often is very? Every night? Every break during the day? During his work? If so, did it distrupt his work? Also watch out for "ly" words. Keep working on your craft.

Reply

Anthony David M
15:10 Jul 02, 2021

Thank you Bonnie for 'looking out' for me! May God bless you! I have taken note of my short comings.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.