9 comments

Drama Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

This story contains references to cybercrimes and kidnapping.


“Okay, team, here’s what we’ve got for this week.” Marcus Simpson, Editor of  The Scoop, an online gossip magazine with over 3 million readers, took the cigarette out of his mouth and blew the smoke out slowly. His reporters sat with note pads and phones in hand, waiting to jot down their new assignments. Nobody moved as they each waited and hoped for a big story. Most of them would be disappointed. 


“Maya,” he said. She raised her hand meekly. “We got a guy who cheated on his wife, and this one is a really doozie. He has a second family in the suburbs. Big house, kids, dog, country club membership. The whole shebang. The first wife is anxious to share her story, probably to get money out of the guy, but who could blame her. I’ll send you her contact info. I want all the gory details.”


Maya scribbled furiously, her heart sinking that she would be covering yet another cheater. She had been happily married to Daniel for 12 years. She wasn’t interested in writing about these home wreckers.


“Second story,” Marcus said, not giving her time to process the first. “A computer programmer lost her high-profile job because she was sabotaged by another employee.” He shook his head. “People are really cruel, but hey, it gets us clicks so who am I to complain.” 

Maya nodded as she took notes. Great, a throw away story about yet another loser. 

“Apparently the woman managed the office database, and a guy in the office hacked into the system to get her fired. He was trying to get back at her best friend for something or another.” Marcus shook his head. “Can you imagine?”


No, Maya couldn’t imagine. She continued scribbling. This week’s assignments were just more of the same. She thought, not for the first time, that she should go back to being a high school English teacher. That sounded very appealing after two years in this grind. She always believed journalism could change the world. Maybe The New York Times, but not this online gossip rag. 


“And one more Maya. You’re going to be busy this week.” Marcus forced a smile and a few of her fellow journalists grumbled. What were they complaining about? She was getting the bottom of the barrel. That could only bode well for the stories that were left for them. 

“This is a tough one,” he said. “I want you to look into a mother whose child disappeared a few days ago. She thought the kid was out playing in the neighborhood. Apparently in one of those gated communities where parents leave their kids unsupervised in fancy cul-de-sacs. The kid was – is – eight years old and she had no idea he was gone until the police came to her door to told her another mom had noticed he was missing.” Marcus shook his head in disgust. “She was working from home and didn’t realize it had been three hours since she checked on him.”


Maya felt the hair stand up on her arms. She frequently left her own eight-year-old son sitting in front of the TV or throwing around a ball in their small backyard while she worked, but not for hours. Plus, Daniel was often with Kevin, at least on the days when he wasn’t at his real estate office until past 8:00 PM. 

“Maya, I don’t see you writing anything down,” Marcus muttered, making her cheeks turn pink. 

“Yes, eight-year-old missing, mother left him alone. I got it,” she assured him.  

“Okay, Harry, let’s review your assignments next…”


***

Maya would tackle the cheater first, then the vengeful guy, and last the neglectful mother. Oh boy, it was going to be a depressing week. She sighed. She thought this job would be fascinating, Writing about people and human nature. But she seemed to only write stories about people who gave into their worst impulses. It was starting to get to her.


She spent the entire day gathering information for the cheater story. She couldn’t reach the first wife but talked to her sister, a neighbor, and a friend of the second wife. The woman  apparently had no idea that the man she married, who travelled 4-6 days a week, had another life. It was pitiful, and Maya felt exhausted later that afternoon as she sat at her desk reviewing the notes from hours of tedious research and interviews.


She could barely keep her eyes open, and decided it was time to head home. Her friend and carpool partner Gina would be picking up both their kids from their after-school program shortly. Today of all days she wanted to be home to hug Kevin. 

When she pulled into her driveway 25 minutes later, Gina was at her front door, pacing anxiously. Maya’s heart jumped into her throat. 

“Gina,” she called, jumping out of the car. “What’s going on? Where are the boys?”

“Thank goodness you’re home. The boys are fine. They’re eating a snack at my house, but I need to talk to you.”

“What is it?” Gina felt her throat tighten further, but Kevin was okay. That was all that mattered.

“It’s about Daniel,” Gina said, biting hard on her lip. “I think he’s having an affair. Actually, I know he is.”

“What are you talking about?” Maya said. This was ridiculous. Daniel wasn’t like those people they featured in The Scoop. He was a good man.

“There’s a new real estate broker at his firm, an attractive single young woman. He took her under his wing, and apparently for the last three months it has become more than just a professional relationship.” 

Maya gripped onto the front porch railing. Daniel had told her about a new associate, a woman he had taken under his wing. And he had been working late a lot recently, but they were selling the apartments in a new condo. It required some evening open houses. He told her that, and she had trusted him. 


A phone was ringing, and Maya turned toward the sound. When she looked back, Gina was gone. She was not standing outside her house clutching her railing. She was in her office, her cheek plastered against her desk. What was going on? 

The phone rang again, and she picked it up, seeing it was Daniel who was calling. “Hello, Daniel, where are you?” Her voice came out frantic, until she realized that the conversation with Gina had just been a dream.

“I’m right here, honey, in my office. Are you okay?”

“I don’t know. I mean, yes, I think so. What time is it?”

“It’s 3:40. I was calling to see if you wanted to bring Kevin over to see the new condo building. We sold two units today, and I thought I’d take my beautiful wife and my little guy out for a celebratory dinner. But you sound like you’re not feeling well. Is tonight okay?”

“Tonight is great.” Relief washed over Maya. Daniel was a loving and loyal husband. “I’ll  leave work now. And as soon as Daniel is dropped off, we’ll get ready to head over.”

“Perfect,” Daniel said. “ I love you. See you soon.”


With that he hung up. Maya was still dazed, but she knew her bad dream was just a result of that stupid story she was working on. She needed a break, and dinner out with her family sounded perfect. She left her notes strewn on her desk, grabbed her coat and head out of the office. She couldn’t wait another minute to see Daniel and Kevin.


***

The following afternoon, with the cheater story written and filed, Maya started working on  her next assignment, the vengeful guy. This one was going to be tricky. She read the police reports and then started reaching out to anyone who might get her some quotes, other employees, friends, college roommate. The more shocking details, the better, Marcus always said. That’s what got stories clicks and likes. 

Daniel had agreed to come home early today to watch Kevin so Maya could work late. He had been so sweet last night, and when they got into bed he had shown her how much he loved her. She would never doubt him again. She smiled at the memory, and got back to work, anxious to finish this story today.


It wasn’t until after 8:00 that she walked into the house. Daniel had made hamburgers and French fries for dinner and left a plate warming for her. There was also a salad and a bottle of her favorite Merlot. Kevin was already asleep, and she found Daniel working in his office. She thanked him for taking care of things.

“You’re welcome sweetheart. Why don’t you relax and eat in front of the TV. I need to finish up some work and then can go to bed early.” Daniel had smiled up at her, a promise in his dark eyes.

Maya liked his plan, so she took her dinner and wine into the living room, putting on her latest Netflix binge. She ate a few French fries first, washing them down with the smooth wine. Life was good.


The next morning, when she arrived at her office, Marcus was waiting at the entrance to her cubicle, a cigarette dangling between his lips. It was 8:20 AM but the newsroom was unusually quiet. “Maya we have a problem,” he said, the cigarette bouncing as he spoke.

“What’s wrong? Where is everyone?”

“Our office computer has been hacked. All of our sources are lost or maybe posted somewhere on the web. Our stories – forget about those. We may never publish another issue of The Scoop again. He inhaled his cigarette before throwing it on the ground and stomping on it. Right in the middle of the newsroom. He didn’t even seem to care. 

“How could this happen.” Maya struggled to understand.

“Our articles piss off a lot of people, you know? Maybe it was one of them, or a disgruntled employee. I’m not sure, but while we investigate, all of us are going to have to be very careful.”

“What do you mean?” Maya asked. But she didn’t want to know. She wanted to go back to yesterday, to last night. 

“Just lock your doors at night. Be alert to the people around you when you’re out in public. I may be paranoid but take precautions for you and your family. Watch your back.”


“Watch my back?” Maya squeaked. And at that moment she felt someone rubbing her back. She flinched. Who else was here with them. But suddenly Marcus was gone, and so was her office. She was lying on her couch. Her empty plate of food and a half full glass of Merlot sat on the coffee table. Someone was gently kissing her head.

“What’s wrong, honey?” Daniel said.” I was just about to wake you so we could go upstairs together. You looked so peaceful. But then you stiffened and shouted, ‘watch my back’. You sounded terrified.”

Maya sat up, rubbing her eyes. The clock on the TV said 9:38 PM. “I had a nightmare. The second one this week.” She felt foolish thinking about the first one. It had been easy to move past it, but this one left her feeling chilled. The idea that she could be in danger. 

Daniel wrapped his arms around her. “You’re safe. Kevin is sleeping soundly, and I’m going to take you to bed. I can hold you until you calm down and fall back to sleep, okay?

She nodded, letting him hold her together with his strong arms. She couldn’t wait for this week to be over.


***

Maya was exhausted when she walked into work the next morning. She was going to work on her final story and head home early. She and Daniel had talked last night about taking a short family vacation. They needed time together, and Maya needed time away from the gritty and depressing stories she worked on week after week. She was even thinking about quitting and going back to teaching. Something had to change.


She opened her computer to start research on the most horrifying story of all, the one with the neglectful mom. Her son still hadn’t been found although there were now some theories about who had taken him. The mom must be in agony. Maya wouldn’t even think of calling her. She would read the police report and speak to other moms in the neighborhood. She just wanted to get this story over with. 


She was relieved when at 3:30 PM she had finished with all her interviews and written a first draft. What a nightmare for this poor mother. Maya thought of nothing but going home and hugging Kevin. 

On the way home, she stopped at the grocery to buy the ingredients for Daniel’s favorite dinner, veal marsala, and a pricey Chardonnay they both loved.  She also bought the ingredients to make Kevin’s favorite butterscotch cookies.  Tomorrow she would edit and file her story. Then she would ask Marcus for a few days off. 


She busied herself in the kitchen while Daniel helped Kevin with his homework and then played a game with him. They sat down to eat at 6:30, laughing and talking as they enjoyed a meal she normally would only have prepared on a weekend. She vowed they would  have more family meals together. They needed to prioritize the three of them, and building family memories like the ones they were making tonight. 

Kevin went to bed, and Daniel helped her clean the kitchen. They talked excitedly about their upcoming trip. A few days at the beach, or maybe a short cruise. Maya couldn’t remember the last time she felt this happy.

She got into bed exhausted at 10:20. Daniel wrapped his arms around her, and she fell into a sound and restful sleep.


The peaceful night ended when she heard Daniel screaming at the top of his lungs. “Kevin, where are you?” He was shouting as he ran up and down the hall. 

“What’s going on. Maya looked at the clock. It was 2:37 AM.”

Daniel’s eyes were wide with fear as he came rushing into the room with just his boxers and t-shirt on. “I woke up when I heard a door slam and a car screech. I got up, and something told me to check Kevin’s room.” He took a shaky breath and Maya sat up in bed, frozen as she listened. 

“He’s okay, right? He’s a good sleeper. He never wakes up at night,” She wanted to keep talking so she could avoid hearing what her husband might say next.

He shook his head. “No, he’s gone. Our baby is gone. I’ve got to go call the police right away. He grabbed his phone off the dresser and rushed out of the room, leaving Maya stunned.


She was about to hop out of bed. Her child was gone. She should jump into action like Daniel. But somewhere in the back of her mind, she had the thought that this might be a nightmare – and not the first one she’d experienced lately. But how could she know? Maybe all she had to do was go back to sleep. She would wake up and everything would be okay. Her heart was pounding in her chest and her body trembling as she curled up under the covers and closed her eyes, praying for sleep. Or maybe she should pray to wake up. Whichever one would mean that her sweet boy was safe in his bed. 

July 21, 2024 15:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Linda Pegalis
01:00 Aug 03, 2024

I agree with W. H. This is a great, spooky story and could be even more chilling if you had more room. It's great as is, too. My heart was saddened at the idea of Maya's supportive spouse being a cheater and loved the ambiguity of her waking up with residual mistrust. I have to say I often carry emotional reactions from a dream into my day.

Reply

Karen Hope
03:55 Aug 03, 2024

Dreams can definitely stick with us through the day. Thanks so much for reading and your thoughtful feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
21:40 Jul 27, 2024

Goose bumps! How could anyone not tear out of bed, heart pounding? You have a darker side, don't you. :-)

Reply

Karen Hope
22:40 Jul 27, 2024

LOL - I really don’t have a darker side. But I’m trying to fight my natural tendency to write only happy stories. The next one will probably be another cheesy love story. Glad I got your heart pounding. If my kids were involved, I would have been out of that bed in a flash - dream or no dream! Many thanks!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
W. H. Goodwater
11:51 Jul 24, 2024

This was gripping! What you did with the nightmares was cleverly done, and you left me with a lingering chill in the end. Great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
04:25 Jul 22, 2024

I liked how you left the ending ambiguous. You packed alot of adrenaline into a little short! I could see this being much longer, with each little scene expanded. Thanks!

Reply

Karen Hope
16:30 Jul 22, 2024

Thank you so much! You make a good point. This could be expanded, with more details provided in each scene. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

W. H. Goodwater
11:56 Jul 24, 2024

I appreciate how concise the story is as it reads now, but I also think more ideas/expansion from you would only improve it! I really enjoyed the read. A good story lingers, and I know I'll be thinking about this one for days.

Reply

Karen Hope
13:08 Jul 24, 2024

It’s good to hear that feedback from both of you. Both the interviews and the dreams could be described in much more detail. This could be REALLY chilling as a longer story. Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.