0 comments

Adventure Fiction

Tony, who was about six foot one and always curious and looking to probe into situations with a modest but inquisitive method, watched the rain come down onto the field. This was a place where kid often gathered to play after a long day at school. However, Chris described some of these days as a long day on the salt mines. Chris was five inches and 30 pounds shorter than Tony but he demonstrated a nice combination of liveliness and calmness, with a bit of shrewdness to accompany his attentiveness. Chris approached several others who were listening to Tony and then speaking among themselves, looking occasionally as the rain came down in a slow, sure, peaceful way.

Now Tony was standing in front of the group in a nonchalant way, saying “When it rains, it really comes down. I don’t want to say, it pours, because we are not ‘poor’ right group.” As several laughed and one person, Diane, rose to speak “That wasn’t bad, considering your usual words and, we are richer for having known you.” Chris then noticed a kind of quieter laughter as he approached the group and then said “I can see rain hasn’t changed this bunch as we are all gathered here to honor, one person, and as Tony looked seriously at Chris from several feet away, Chris continued “That be you John, a somewhat reserved, active minded, often compromising, and occasional expressive person. John then stood in the rain and stated “I know you were kidding and Tony I don’t want to ace you out, but rain makes you do strange things sometimes. I know that is often said about love, but, let’s get real.”

As a bit of quiet laughs came down among them and as the rain began to lighten a little, Judy, who was more assertive than Diane, and having a quick wit, but often had more patience and fortitude, stood between Tony and John and spoke “I know we all have had our issue, with rain and without, but now that the rain is beginning to subside, why don’t we do something as a community,” and then she spoke louder, “And that means we all have the same spirit of fun about us, not against one of us. After she walked a few feet away, John looked at Tony, then at Chris, and then at Greg, who was a little bigger than John but seemed to have quite a bit better assertiveness and firmness. John wanted to know how he got caught in this situation when he was enjoying the fall of the rain like everyone else and just wanted to recline in its descent and get rejuvenated. Tony and Chris who were often pitted against each other looked at each other, however Greg, approached John rather slowly, and casually, but firmly and asked “How come you included me in your inquisition?” I thought you and I had an understanding, that you only referred to me during a very light rain or when it is really important.” After a few seconds pause, Greg laughed slightly as did John, however, each knew that there was a little seriousness in what Greg said and than Tony would intervene if necessary, and Chris would add in his comments as a backdrop, and then one of the ladies would give their safety warning in a humorous way, with a little urgency.

As the rain began to stop, all of them, about 12 in total, began to walk down the road, which seemed to start out as wet from the rainfall, and then become a little drier with each several yards passed. Nobody would admit it, but the downpour of the rain made them a little more bonded and a bit more group-oriented as did it also make one a little more aware of his or her unique way of contributing toward the group cause, or occasionally, detract from its cause, in a peaceful way of course. They now approached several hills and neither one of them stopped to inquire which one they would walk on or why there were doing what they were doing. They just thanked the rain and went on.

Tony then looked back at a few of the pack and said “I can see today we are not going to play twenty questions, and it does seem odd, but I have a feeling we are going to play alright, and the twenty is minutes, I can take that, but if it’s twenty games, then we should ask the rain to come back.” The others looked at Tony and each other and laughed slightly but all appeared to agree with Tony about not wanting twenty, or even five, games to separate one of them from going back home. Then they all stopped at this spot at the top of the hill and not one of them was tired, or felt any lost energy or enthusiasm. A few of them just made reference to the rain that seemed to gave them an inner spirit that would counterbalance any ideas of complaining, or being too inquisitive, or too outspoken and letting loose any personality conflict unless there was cause or if the rain, which had stopped except for a few droplets, allowed it, and all gave homage to the rain that had ceased.

 Several of the group conversed with another that usually it takes a while or a difference of opinion to induce. Diane, who usually spoke out of turn and with some wordiness and a bit of friendly scorn then looked at several group members and said” I believe I am a bit more affable and receptive, which is bad enough, but also a little more terse. I talked with a couple of members the last few minutes and it was just like we were getting to know each other again and I listened and responded nicely. I felt good about it, and I was more in tune with my own way of interacting, and we all agreed as we looked at the rain. Even when I said ‘which is bad enough’, I stated that with a friendly look at myself as I looked at all of you.” A few members then said some of the things that not only brought then group together, but what they, in turn had brought to the group and then Judy went over to where the four boys were sitting and said “I can see you guys more clearly and I don’t mean spatial vision and I can now see what I brought to the table,’ and then looking up at the rain which began to come down a little, she continued “ I can see how that table was shaped,, but I like it, and all the things we have done, all I can say is “Hats off to us.” John who usually waited until he was asked or in a more active situation then walked closer to Judy and said “That was stated well and I can now see myself as we do things as a group and share stories, and, regarding your statement about hat’s off, I say ‘Hat’s on’, as the rain is coming down faster now. “Others agreed.

        The group, first led by Tony, then Judy, then Chris, then Diane, and then a few others, began to walk down the hill. They reminisced about some of the activities they had done together and some of the stories they shared about themselves or others they had the pleasure, or not the pleasure of meeting. Each gave his or her statement in a way that definite while relaxed and all addressed the falling rain as a token of inspiration and an object of reflection. A few of the members expressed their thanks for being allowed in the group, and a few members made jokes about not being allowed to leave the group, but all knew that they were joking, but did not have to say anything. Stories about themselves were shared as well as activities but each person was careful to deliberate if a person showed his or her true colors, they would accompany it were a sincere acknowledgment to everyone in the group and gave reference to the rain that began to come down as before.

        As Tony made his personal comments to everyone and showed that he was glad to be there, not just as host, but as a mentor, he started to look for any type of evidence that this group had been with each other before this Saturday, which two hours ago, everyone seemed to complain about being dried out and needing something to liven them up like water drops falling from the sky. Several members looked at another and wondered if they were meeting each other for the first time or that the rain, which had fallen upon them only 15 minutes ago, made them know each other more vividly and provocatively, in a congenial way of course. Greg, then walked slowly to the group members who were the closest, to him, and to each other and said “I am not sure what we conversed or shared before the coming of the rain, but I say that rain fall made us learn about each other and mostly about ourselves, rather quickly, and with that, I am running out on you.’ As Greg began to walk away, he looked back and realized that others knew he was kidding, but as the rain began to diminish, all felt that this day was enough. Before each person went home, he or she looked up at the rain which they all noticed clearly before, but now with a sense of dynamic reflection, that surpassed the image the rain made on the ground and the trees. Chris then stopped and said “Indeed sometimes when it rains it pours, but today, when it rains, it made us richer, and not by filling our pockets”, and before he finished, another said “But today, because of the rain, we had some pocked, filled.” All gave one final look at the sky and left.

September 21, 2021 22:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.