0 comments

General

-Chapter 1-

    (Past)

“Hi Liza!” Tom said, running towards me, out of breath. We were supposed to meet at our treehouse, with the other club members. “Oh, hey Tom! We were just going to start.” I was the club leader, Liza. I am the club leader of games. I formed it purely by accident, but we love it. The members are me, Tom, Alyissa, and Thomas. We secretly met up and played games. Now our society had plenty of rules, and one of the rules was  not allowed to play games. I peeked out the window to see if anyone followed us. Coast is clear. “So what's the first game today?” Alyissa asked, excitedly. I held up a board game and announced, “It’s ‘sorry.’” 

Tom hooted. 

“I call blue!” I shrieked. “Ooh! Then I'll do yellow.”  Alyissa said. “Red is my lucky color so I’ll take red.” Thomas said. “I have no other choice then green.” Tom said. “The rule says that the youngest goes first.” I said. We all looked at eachother and burst out laughing. We were all 7 years old. “I’ll just go first,'' I said. I got a 2. “YES!” I said, shooting my hands up. “Does that mean you go forward 2?” Alyissa asked. “Yeah. if you get a 1, 2, or a sorry card, you can get out on the first round.” I explained. “I thought games weren’t allowed.” A voice said. I whipped my head around. It was Tom’s mother. “Mom!” Tom said, nervously, while we tried to hide the game. “What is the meaning of this?” She asked. “Um-well. This is not what you think this is.” Tom said. “Then what is it?!” She snapped. She called all of our parents and when they came, they had a shocked face. “That’s it. I’m breaking this club up.” My dad growled. “Dad! No!” I shouted. “Please don’t punish them. I’m the one that started this!” I begged. “No one is going to be punished. If our kids get in trouble, the parents get in trouble. That’s the rules.” Mom said. “Now we're going to keep this event a secret.” Tom’s dad said. “And from preventing you children from getting punished if someone finds out, we’re going to separate you all.” Thomas’ mom said. “What?!” All four of us yelled. “I was going to send Thomas to study abroad.” Thomas’ dad said. “I’m going to send Alyissa to boarding school.” Alyissa’s mother says. “Tom is going back to Florida to live with his grandparents.” Tom’s dad decided. “Liza is going to stay right here.” Mom said. “How long was the club standing?” Dad asked. “For two years.” I answered, sadly. “I’m getting tired of Canada anyway.” Tom said, trying to stay on the bright side. “This is where we part our ways.” I told the members. But when we all did a group hug, Alyissa whispered, “This is not the last time we will meet.”

-Chapter 2-

     Alyissa

“Alyissa dear, what would you like to have for dinner?” Mom asked. “I’m not hungry.” I growled, while clomping up the stairs. When the rest of the family finished dinner, Mom came up to my room. “Alyissa! We did this for your own good.” Mom said. “You will leave tomorrow morning.” Mom said, briskly. I ignored her until she left. Tears started spilling out of my eyes and onto my pillow. I cried until I was so exhausted and fell asleep.

The next morning I got up and saw that my mom packed my things in a suitcase. I gritted my teeth. I thumped downstairs with the suitcase and shoveled down some waffles. “Hi honey, ready to go to France?” Mom asked. I didn’t answer. I just rolled the suitcase in the car trunk and hopped in the car. “Hey, cinnamon roll.” Dad greeted me. I ignored him and pretended to sleep. 

When we arrived at the airport, I followed dad to a looooong line. I didn’t pay attention because my eyes were glued to my phone, checking if Liza, Tom or Tomas had texted me. Just when I gave up, Liza texted in the group chat,

Liza: Oh no! Guys. My mom is ab 2 erase this chat in my phone!

Tomas: Holy flying cows. Me too!

Tom: me 3 -_-                                            

                                           Me: this is a disaster!

Me: Omg! My dad just told me to ‘get rid of’ this chat!

“Dad, if were separated, why can’t we even have a chat together?!” I asked. He looked at me sternly.  “You don’t need to be in touch when you're in boarding school.” Dad said. I squinted at him. “Please give me your suitcase.” A man said. I rolled it to his hands. He x-rayed it and passed it along. When all of that was gone, dad said, “Y’think you can ride the plane by yourself?”

“Yeah.” I answered. I hopped in the line while dad waved me goodbye. 

On the plane, I sat in a window seat. A girl sat next to me. “Hi! I’m Alya!” She said. “Do you tell everyone your name?” I sighed. “You look sad, but you should be thankful you're not going to the place I'm going.” Alya said. “Where are you going?” I asked, not that interested. “I’m going to Saint-Denis boarding school.” She said. “Really?” I asked. Ok now I'm interested. “Yeah why?”

“Because we’re going to run into each other a lot.”  I smiled. “What do you mean?” Alya asked. “You’ll see.” I said. “Ah! I forgot. What’s your name?” She asked. “I don’t go around telling my name, but since you're gonna know anyways, I’m Alyissa.” 

“Oooh! That’s a pretty name!” Alya squealed. Alya had an accent. She had lots of ‘r’s in words. “You’re French?” I asked. “Of course!” She said. “Then why are you on the plane? Shouldn't you be in France already?” I asked. “I was visiting my grandparents in Canada.” Alya explained. “Oh.”

“Well tell me when 8 hours and 3 minutes are up.” I said. 

“What do you mean?” Alya asked. “That’s when we arrive.” I said. “Ok.” 

“Alyissa! Wake up!”

“Who are you?” I mumbled. “It’s me silly. Alya!” Alya said. I was suddenly wide awake. “Oh! I forgot that we were going to France!” I cried. “We are here Alyissa.” Alya rolled her eyes. “What?’

“Yeah. Why else would I wake you up?” She asked. I grabbed my suitcase out of the thing above the seats and strolled down the aisle with Alya. When we got off the plane, some people were holding up signs that said, “ALYA AND ALYISSA COME HERE FOR BOARDING SCHOOL.” 

“Wait. You’re gonna go to boarding school too?!” Alya asked. “Yeah.”

“Woah! That’s great!” Alya said. I took a deep breath. “C’mon.” I said, while walking towards the sign.

-Chapter 3-

      Tom

I am in a plane. I absolutely hate planes. Or- we’re not allowed to say hate. It’s part of the rules. So I absolutely despise planes. Why oh why do I have to take the plane? Even if the plane ride is going to be 2 hours and 37 minutes?! Wait a minute. If dad isn’t here, then I can remake the chat! I pulled out my phone. “Excuse me, please put your phone back. You are not allowed to have phones out on the plane.” A flight attendant told me. I gave her a weak smile. Then I put it back. Guess I can’t make another group. I started to lean on the window. “Would you like to have a drink?” Someone asked. I spun around it was a person rolling a cart full of food. “A hamburger please.” I said. She passed me a hamburger wrapped in foil. “Hello?” Another person said. What is it now? It was a girl. My age in fact. “Um. Can I sit here?” She asked. “Um sure.”

“And could you hide me please? My abusive father is looking for me.” She begged. “S-sure.” I said, motioning her to sit at the window seat. I covered her with my blanket I packed, hiding her out of sight. “Have you seen a girl with strawberry blonde straight hair, wearing a t-shirt, printed with cherries, and has blue eyes?” A man asked. Dang that must be her father. I thought. “No sir.” I answered. He moved away from me asking around. Suddenly, the flight attendant’s voice said, “Please be seated. We will take off soon. Thank you for your service.” The man grunted and took his seat, at the front class. “Thank you.” The girl sighed. “Was that your dad?” I asked. “Yeah.”

“Thank you again…..um…”

“It’s Tom.” I said. She smiled. “Thanks Tom. I’m Alice.” 

The engine started. I gripped the armrest thing. Alice touched my hands. “Why are you trembling so much?” She asked. “N-no reason.” I stuttered. “I am totally not scared.” I said. “Yes you are.” Alice said, splitting into a grin. “Relax. You’ll actually see how nice the plane is.” Alice soothed. “Oh, look!” She said, pointing to the window. Wow. Pink, White and gold cotton candy-like clouds surrounded us. “That’s-that’s beautiful.” I gawed. “Yeah.” 

“If my father comes, can you cover me?” Alice yawned. “Sure.” I said. There was nothing to do so I also slept. But before that, I covered Alice under the blanket. 

“Um... Tom!” A girl's voice said. I slowly opened my eyes. I was leaning on Alice’s shoulder. “OH MY GOSH I’M SO SORRY!” I shouted, as I jumped up. “It’s fine. But I just wanted to tell you that we're here.” Alice said. “Huh? Oh. ok.” I said. I spotted Alice’s dad, far away, coming out of the men’s room. “You should go back to your dad. He might be worried.” I told Alice. She shook her head. “He never misses me. He only looks for me because he thinks that I will tell everyone that he’s abusive.” Alice said. “Where are you gonna go?” I asked. “I dunno. Where are you headed?” Alice asked. “At my grandparents.” I answered. “Um, can I stay with you until I find a place?” She asked. “What?! Um. I can’t decide that. We’ll have to see what my grandparents say.” I fumbled. Alice smiled. “So can I come over for a bit?” She asked. “Sure.” I said. When we got off the plane, I saw my grandma and grandpa. “Follow me.” I said to Alice. She followed me all the way to where my grandparents were. “You didn’t tell me you had a girlfriend.” Grandma said. Me and Alice turned red. “We are not dating grandma.” I said. “Oh? Then who is she?” Grandpa asked. “She’s someone I met on the plane and needs a place to stay.” I said. “So are you planning on letting her live in our house?” Grandma asked. “Um, if you let her.” I answered. Grandma nudged grandpa. “I think something is going on here.” 

“It’s nothing like that grandma!” I said, my voice rising. Grandpa laughed. “Alright then, she can stay.” He said. “But what's that girl’s name?” Grandma asked. “I’m Alice.” Alice said. “Such a pretty name. It matches your looks.” Grandma said. Alice blushed. “Thanks.”

“Now. I think we're lost.” Grandma said. I rolled my eyes. “Grandma. You have a car.” I reminded her. “Oh. right.” She said.

We were in the car, heading home. While grandpa drove, Me and Alice exchanged phone numbers. 

“Kids, we're here.” Grandpa said. We hopped off and faced a fancy white mansion.

-Chapter 4-

     Thomas

I just came out of the airplane. I hopped on a bus that picks up kids that are going to study abroad. I hate-ur loathe studying. My dad is hoping to get my grades up when I come back from studying abroad. 

I was playing my new game, when a boy my age asked, “Hey, is that the new combo game?”

“Yeah.” I answered. “Cool! I’ve ALWAYS wanted to play it!” The boy said, excited. “Do you want to give it a try?” I asked. “Oh, boy I do!” 

I gave my phone to the boy and let him sit next to me. He was a pro. “Whoa! How did you make the crystal pickaxe?!” I asked. The boy smiled. “I thought this was your first time playing this.” I said. “I actually played this on my cousin’s phone.” The boy said. “What’s your name?” He asked. “Thomas. What’s your name?” I asked. “Colin.” He answered. “Colin…..TEACH ME HOW TO MAKE A CRYSTAL PICKAXE!” I exclaimed. “Chill bro.” Colin said. “First, you go look for crystals. I’ll tell you the rest when you find them.” He said. Colin is so fun! I thought. “How will we keep in touch when Studying abroad thing is over?” I asked. “Ooh! We can give each other our phone numbers!” Colin said. I grabbed his phone and punched in my number. Colin did the same. “Everyone, we have arrived.” The driver said. I took a deep breath and went out of the bus with everyone else. 

I saw a tall school with something that looked like dorms were taking a quarter of the school. “Wow that’s big.” Colin said. “No kidding.” I said back. “Ah! Are you all the new students?” A woman asked our bundle of group. “Um I think so.” I said. The woman laughed. “Well come in then.” 

Inside,it was like a normal school-well normal-big school that is. “Everyone, please follow me.” The woman said. We walked into a big classroom and we settled in. “I will let you all introduce yourselves, but first, I am Professor Evergreen, your main teacher.” The woman said. When we all introduced ourselves, Professor Evergreen said, “Here are the rooms you are assigned to.” 

I picked up a sheet of paper and saw my name. My roommate was Colin and someone named James. Our dorm number was 105. I passed the paper to the person behind me. “Since today is your first day, you can all have a free day.” Professor Evergreen said. I looked at her. It was good..but I was expecting more. Colin, James, and I went hunting for room, 105. “There it is!” James cried. He was pointing to an orangeish-brownish door that was engraved with gold, ‘105’. Professor Evergreen had given everyone a silver key to their dorms. 

I opened the door and saw a room with 3 beds. There were blue wallpapers, and a fuzzy navy blue carpet on the floor. The nightstands were pale blue. “Nice! My favorite color.” I said. “I call this one!” Colin said, running over to a midnight blue bed. I went for a baby blue one, and James jumped on a bed that was between our colors. “I wonder if the next door people have blue too.” I said. “Let’s go check it out.” James said. I knocked on room 106. A girl my age opened the door. I turned red. “Sorry! We thought boys were going to be the ones to live here!” I apologize, super embarrassed. “It’s ok. But do you need anything?” The girl asked. “Um..we were just wondering...what color is your dorm?” I asked. “It’s pink.” She answered. “Thanks.” I said, still embarrassed. “What’s your name?” The girl asked. “Excuse me?” 

The girl squirmed. “Well I thought we would make good friends because you were the first kids to talk to me.” The girl explained. “Ah. Well I’m Thomas. This is James, and this is Colin.” I said, jabbing a thumb to Colin and James. “I’m Mia.” The girl said. “Well, Mia, see you around.” I said. 

“Yo, why are you red?” Colin asked, when we came back to our dorm. “BECAUSE I’VE JUST EMBARRASSED MYSELF!” I screamed into my pillow. “Chiiiil. Let’s look at this problem as a good way. At least you made a cute friend.” James said. I glared at him. Then I tackled time to the floor. “Ahh! Colin! HELP!” James screamed. 

Soon, we were unpacked, and heading towards the signs that said, “This way to the cafeteria.” 

We went there and I checked what lunch was. It was chicken. We grabbed our trays and sat at a table. “Hi!” Mia said, sliding next to me. “Hey.” I greeted her. “I haven’t had chicken in awhile.” Mia said, hungrily. 

I first opened my carton of chocolate milk, and sipped it. 

When lunch was over, Colin, James, and I ran across the cushiony carpeted floor, and burst into our room. 

“Guys.” I said, out of breath. “Let’s find a secret place to hang out.”

-Chapter 5-

      Liza

I sighed. I was sooo bored. My mom told me to erase the chat where Thomas, Tom, Alyissa, and I are in. “Mom, I’m going to school.” I said, glumly. At lunch, I usually sat with my 4 friends, but now, I sit alone. People used to call us the quartet. Some kids pitied me and sat with me, but they talked to their friends, and not me. At recess, I either sit alone on a bench, or ask a teacher if I can go to the library. 

One day, I asked to go to the library, and when I was walking heavily in the halls, A girl my age walked up to me and asked me some random question in another language. I stared blankly at her. 

“Oh! Sorry! I’m korean and sometimes I forget what language i’m speaking.” The girl said.

“I’m Cho-Hee Shin.” The girl said.

-Chapter 6-

                 We meet again (liza)

Someone knocked on my door. I swung open the door. It was Alyissa, Tom, and Thomas. 

“Guys!” I said, shocked. We all did a group hug. We ran to a tree,and sat on our beanchairs. 

“Thanks for coming back.”

July 22, 2020 00:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.