She's okay, she loves me

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Write a story about a someone who's in denial.... view prompt

40 comments

Teens & Young Adult Fiction Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

The plans I had today were important to me, but I knew I couldn’t go until I cleaned up a little in the flat first. I started with the bathroom - the shower had sick in it from last night, so I rinsed it with water first and then sprayed with bathroom cleaner. It was lucky I still had a face mask in one of the drawers that I could put on, as the smell was awful in there.

I quickly wiped the toilet and squeezed the last bits of bleach inside. Then moved onto the sink, wiped the limescale as much as I could, and rinsed the cloth.

As I walked out the bathroom into the one and only bedroom I shared with my mom, I almost tripped over some empty bottles. With a quiet sigh I grabbed nearest plastic bag that had some rubbish in and chucked the bottles inside it. Gathered all the other rubbish in the bedroom and put the bag in the living room, before I came back to the previous room, to clean up some clothes. I wanted to nicely fold them and put them on our little plastic clothing rack, but I realized most of these were dirty and stinky, so I put them in the laundry basket, that almost never gets cleaned.

The kitchen was disgusting. My mom must have tried to cook something when she came back, but all was left was mess. Dirty pans still on the stove, which was also full of old food and stains. Cupboard surfaces were sticky and smelly. I sprayed everything with a kitchen cleaner to soak, and turned to put dishes in the sink. I couldn’t do that, however, as there were plates and dishes already there. I quickly put some gloves on and tried to clean as many as possible. Shortly after I wiped the surfaces and felt a slight pride for my motivation.

When I walked into the living room, my motivation not only run away, but I started to feel tears coming up to my eyes. My mom was laying on the sofa, in a very uncomfortable position: her head was hanging off the edge, one of her arms as well, while the other was placed along her torso. Her legs were bent, to be able to fit between the sofa’s armrests. Her mouth was open, eyes closed, hair looked like she had a birds’ nest inside. I put a blanket over her, moved her head back on the pillow and took the empty vodka bottle away from her light grip. I quietly put it in the bin and looked at the time. I really needed to go to my meeting.

I did final check in the dirty mirror, looking at my used navy blue trainers, that were so dirty you couldn’t even tell the colour anymore. I had ripped jeans on, the only clean blouse I had in my drawer and a small backpack. Luckily my future meeting wasn’t too important.

I left the building, trying not to breathe in the mouldy smell that was on the staircase hall. Walls full of graffiti, floor that has never seen a brush, echo of my steps as I was walking to the ground floor - I hated all of this. Once outside, I took a deep breath of fresh air and turned right, towards the nearest cafe. It was only 10 minute walk, but the sun was shining, slight wind was touching my face, and I wished the walk could last longer. The disappointment must have been seen on my face as I walked in to the cafe, as the owner, ever so lovely older lady named Mary, looked at me and raised her eyebrows.

“What is that frown?” she said gently, as she came from behind the till and came closer to me. “What has happened?”

I shook my head.

“Nothing happened. Just the weather is so nice outside, I would love to have time to go for a long long walk”

She nodded agreeably.

“I feel you. I was considering getting some outside tables for the cafe, but the money is really tight right now”

“Isn’t it for us all” I tried to laugh it off, but both Mary and I couldn’t laugh about our life struggles.

“Your dad isn’t here yet, sit down, I will make you your favourite latte”

I sat on one of the comfy armchairs and grabbed a book from the shelf next to me. The back of it sounded very interesting, something about a lost boy that has reappeared years later. Maybe I could borrow it from Mary for those long, sad evenings.

A few minutes later I heard my name and looked up. My sweet dad walked up towards me, with a big bright smile on his face. He hugged me tight and long, before sitting on the chair next to me.

“It is so lovely to see you” he said, and I wasn’t sure if I saw it correctly but his eyes sparkled.

“I missed you dad” I said and my heart felt a little heavier. I don’t think about missing my dad very often, as I am so busy with school and my job, but when I do see him, I feel sad again, like all the missing I have been feeling between our meetings that I ignored, came all at once.

“How are you?” he said and quietly thanked Mary for bringing our coffees to the table.

“I’m good. School is going great, I will be graduating in a couple of months. Job is great, although tiring. They agreed for me to increase the hours once I am out of school.”

I saw my dad’s face change expression immediately from happy to concerned.

“What do you mean? What about college”

I laughed.

“Dad, don’t be silly. I can’t go to college.”

“But you love school and learning! When you were younger you were always talking about being a doctor or a lawyer or a professor. Why wouldn’t you continue with school?”

“I need to pay the bills, dad” I replied feeling uneasy on my stomach. “Your child support is generous, but it covers the rent only.”

“I can’t afford more, I am so sorry baby” his voice cracked.

“Hey, dad, no, it’s okay, please.” I grabbed his hand in mine and squeezed. “I manage to cover our other bills. It’s okay.”

“You deserve so much better, Cornelia, you should live with me and go to school. I can support you, you wouldn’t have to work”

“You know I can’t leave mom alone, she will hurt herself”

I sipped my coffee, while my dad was looking at me even more concerned than before.

“Your mom can’t be helped” he whispered. “She is too deep into alcoholism to even realize it.”

I shook my head.

“Don’t say that” I felt anger slowly appearing in my chest. “She is not an alcoholic, she just likes to drink occasionally. Like a lot of adults do.”

He licked his lips and closed his eyes, taking a few deeper breaths, before he spoke again.

“Your mom has not had a job in years. Spends all the money you earn on alcohol, gets drunk all night and sleeps all day. She has been like this when we were together and I couldn’t help her. You can’t help her either”

“She doesn’t need help, she’s fine. We spend time together, we laugh and joke, she doesn’t always drink!”

His face looked like he didn’t believe me. But there was also something in his face I couldn’t quiet place. A pity, maybe?

“Dad, please, we can’t be talking about it every time. Mom and I are fine, she is doing well, you don’t have to worry”

“You are 16. You shouldn’t be working full time jobs to cover the bills. It is her responsibility…”

“She is ill” I interrupted him. “She has had it hard in life and is coping with it as much as she can. She needs our support not judgment. She also stopped drinking as much, only a couple times a week now.” I shrugged. “Mom is getting better and quitting drinking. I promise”

“Baby, she isn’t getting better. She will be back to drinking every day again, as soon as she has more money. You need to leave, if you don’t want to live with me, just get out of that place and fend for yourself. You cannot be babysitting your own mom!”

“That’s enough.” I said and stood up. “You are so unsupportive of our life, no wonder she didn’t want to be with you.”

“Why do you keep denying how bad she is for you” his eyes swelled up with tears. “I want you to be happy and safe and healthy, your mom doesn’t care”

“She cares!” I raised my voice, but felt something heavy stuck in my throat. “She cares about me and she loves me.”

I grabbed my bag and left the cafe.

June 20, 2024 12:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

40 comments

06:57 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you for reading my story. Yours fits the prompt well. I am an ESOL teacher. Not bad for English being your second language. I have identified a few points below. I once did a story about an alcoholic. 'My Resolute Resolve'. I identified with your story!!! for a different reason. Someone suffering from mental issues can live in such a state. I was waiting for the mention of maggots in the pots with the leftover food. It happens. Do you run yours through Grammarly? You would find it helpful. grabbed the (add the 'the' - definite arti...

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
07:19 Jul 01, 2024

Thank you, Kaitlyn, your feedback has been really useful. I will make notes on your points and improve for the future. I probably will start using Grammarly soon, as I have heard a few people talking about it recently.

Reply

09:03 Jul 01, 2024

Thanks Julia. Glad you found the points helpful. Yours is a moving story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
04:34 Jun 29, 2024

Wow. Heavy story of alcoholism and that is exactly the way it is. Brava for delving into this painful subject. Not only is the alcoholic in denial, but their loved ones are also. This is a powerful story, too, and I can feel the heart and the pain. It must have taken a lot to write it, but I'm sure it's cathartic, too. Really good work.

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
07:19 Jul 01, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
10:29 Jun 28, 2024

For English being your second language this is fantastic. Great descriptions of the flat at the start and your mc's denial (through loyalty) of her mother' alcoholism was well conveyed. I spotted a few grammatical errors but nothing major: on instead of in, has instead of had, and the possible omission of an 'a' or 'an' - would have to scroll back through the piece to find them. But, yes, good work 👏

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
11:04 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you so much for taking your time to read and leaving the feedback. I try to proof-read as much as I can, but I guess I will never write perfectly (thank god book editors exist haha)

Reply

Carol Stewart
12:43 Jun 28, 2024

Perfect? Who's perfect? I must say, you do very well and we all benefit from having a fresh pair of eyes look over our work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
06:06 Jun 28, 2024

I never been drunk in my life. Because I'm allergic to alcohol. So this is excellent example how it looks to be alcoholic. Nice one.

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
07:25 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Baker
05:50 Jun 28, 2024

I really like your story, very powerful!! Your English is great too, good job!

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
07:26 Jun 28, 2024

Thank you, that's so kind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:44 Jun 27, 2024

Welcome to Reedsy and thanks for liking my "Fair Lady II". You are already an amazing writer even in English. Great job. Keep it up.

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
18:59 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you very much! I appreciate the feedback

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:42 Jun 27, 2024

Thanks for liking my Fair Lady Charity. And for the follow. Thanks for liking 'Fair Lady II'.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
15:59 Jun 27, 2024

Being the daughter of an alcoholic and an alcoholic myself, with grown children - this story resonates so much! That said, it killed me how very defensive she is of her mother... how strong denial can completely blind us, especially if the truth might tear us apart. Powerful story!

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
18:59 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you for sharing your story with me. It must have been hard for you to read it, so I really appreciate you took time and commented. Hope you're well

Reply

Kay Smith
19:02 Jun 27, 2024

I've actually been sober for coming up on 600 days! Thank you :)

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
19:39 Jun 27, 2024

That's amazing! Maybe you could write something to share your experience and feelings about it. I'm sure a lot of people would relate

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Patrick H
15:07 Jun 27, 2024

Excellent work and very personal. I could tell that the mother was in a bad way from the description of the detritus in the apartment. The themes of addiction and denial are definitely there. Wonderful job!

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
18:58 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you very much, I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
14:32 Jun 27, 2024

I’m always thrilled to see a new writer here, and especially when they come across with something this exceptional. I think you nailed the struggles of a teen dealing with family addiction. Love often can blind us not just to a lived one’s failings, but also to the effects on ourselves and the need for hard solutions that in the end might benefit the addict. From a writing standpoint, I’ve always felt beginning a personal story with some seemingly mundane, routine task or event is a wonderful way to make things real and set up the emotiona...

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
14:36 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you Martin, for your kind words and feedback. I am delighted to be part of such a supportive network for writers, excited for the things to come!

Reply

Martin Ross
14:52 Jun 27, 2024

Before I found Reedsy just a couple years ago, I had three aborted novel starts and three magazine rejections for stories that admittedly stunk. Now, I look so forward to meeting another weekly prompt and spinning tales. At 65, I feel like I’ve found a mental fountain of youth! Enjoy, and keep writing this good stuff!

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
14:56 Jun 27, 2024

Good for you! Glad you found something that keeps you happy. Are you looking to get back to your novels at some point?

Reply

Martin Ross
17:10 Jun 27, 2024

I’ve collected most of my stories so far on Amazon, but that great mystery novel idea hasn’t hit me yet. My three detective characters would need a really solid plot to carry a full book. Time being, though, I love playing with short stuff. 😊

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
18:57 Jun 27, 2024

If you ever need a buddy to talk things through and do a brainstorm I will be happy to :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
13:46 Jun 27, 2024

Great story, Julia. It rings with desperation and truth. Great writing. Keep writing!

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
13:49 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you for your kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
12:20 Jun 27, 2024

Very realistic look at the cost of addiction to a family. This stands alone well, but it could also be part of a longer story in which the daughter (hopefully) gets past her denial. Great read!

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
12:30 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you for your feedback Karen, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Clarissa J-Ward
07:40 Jun 26, 2024

Wow so powerful! I was so torn as a reader I could feel the daughters pain and the fathers worry! Really amazing writing I hope to see more xx

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
12:30 Jun 27, 2024

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francesca Lucas
15:30 Jun 25, 2024

I hope this story is a part of something bigger, as I would love to read about how the main character slowly realizes that she needs to let go and learn how to build her own life and enjoy it.

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
15:33 Jun 25, 2024

It is a stand-alone story, I haven't written anything to it except the submitted part. I don't think I know enough about that topic to truly give it a good book. Sorry to disappoint!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristen Stolls
15:20 Jun 25, 2024

Very interesting way of capturing denial, from the first person's point of view. It seems often that our love for family and friends are covering how truly toxic and bad for us they can be with their actions.

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
15:32 Jun 25, 2024

Spot on - it takes so long to realize on your own how to move on from toxic people that we still love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nita Styles
15:17 Jun 25, 2024

It's a sad story, but unfortunately relatable for many. I liked that I didn't know what denial the main character was until the end.

Reply

Julia Buzdygan
15:31 Jun 25, 2024

Thank you, Nita, for your comment. I am so glad you liked it. And yes, unfortunately it is not an unusual topic these days.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.