5 comments

General

A new journey was headed my way and I am ready for all that it will bring. In less then 5 days off to college I go. I'm even more excited to be sharing a dorm with my bestie Monica. Part of my mind was filled with sadness knowing my mom had cancer that was causing her to be living her last days. It was 2 in the morning and my mind was all over the place. My father had a big day planned for me tomorrow I better try to rest. Before I knew it my alarm was going off "9am already?"said China. I decided to lay there for another hour before getting up to shower. Finally I was dressed, hair done and makeup on point. As I looked in the mirror I looked so much like my mom I wanted to cry. I had to try to make the best out of today knowing my dad went all out the way. As I walked down the stairs everything was beautiful. Purple, silver, and white balloons everywhere. A Beautiful sign with congratulations and my name. Every one of my high school buddies showed up. My dad was doing his thing on the grill while chatting with my godfather. "Congrats China I am very proud of you, said my godfather." (While handing me an envelope with $6,000). "That should last you a while." "Call me if you need anything else , said my godfather." He really made my day with this one. I could barely eat thinking about my mom. My lifelong crush even showed up but I could care less. All I could think about is my last days at home and maybe my last days with my mom. The crowd finally disappeared as the cleaners begin to clean I headed upstairs. My shower was fast I was ready to be in my mom's arms. She was fast asleep I eased my way in bed with her. Laying my head on her shoulder I was off to sleep in no time. I jumped up after having a horrible dream. I glazed over at my mom to make sure she was ok. She was sleeping like a beautiful angel. I decided to head to my bed knowing I was up for the morning. Tears begin to flow wishing I was living a dream that I would soon wake up from. I was losing my mother. She wouldn't get to see me finish college, meet her grandkids or share those moments with me before marrying my husband with butterflies in my stomach. Here I was full of sadness during which suppose to be a happy time for me. Today was family picture day. I had to get it together. My dad had it sat up for them to come to the house since my mom couldn't get out. As I was finishing my hair in the mirror with a face full of tears. I noticed my mom's reflection smiling from ear to ear. She was beautiful from head to toe. Her long wavy jet black hair was everything and her makeup was to die for. She was wearing a royal blue dress that sparkled like the stars at night. I could see the beautiful angel in her. It hurt deeply. That smile made me feel a lot better. My dad look like he just stepped out of GQ magazine. His ocean blue eyes stole the moment. I joined in and our photo shoot became everything. This was a moment I could freeze time for and live in forever. My mom wore that smile all night. After the photos my dad prepared my mother's favorite meal, with candles, and her favorite wine. Once dinner was over we laughed about the old days, pulled out old photos, and watched movies until we all drifted away. My last 2 days being home and maybe seeing my mom for the last time bought a great sadness over me. I decided to spend the day laying in bed watching childhood movies with my mom. We ordered from our favorite sushi restaurant. I missed it and it was so delicious. "China Pooh I need to talk to you baby, said my mom." I am not going to be here much longer. I want you to be strong and brave. Go live your life to the fullest with no regrets. Accomplish all your goals no matter what. Make sure when you go away to college you check on dad and your brother. Momma is proud of you and I know you are going to reach high places. I love you baby. We should rest now. I love you more mom. I wanted to cry my eyes out but I just couldn't let her see me weak. I just laid on her chest in deep thoughts. Her words sat with me until I counted sheep. The next morning I had a smile on my face my dreams were everything. I looked over to check on my mom as I did every morning. To my surprise she was sitting up taking her morning medicine. "Good morning sleepyhead, said my mother." "Morning mom good to see you smiling again." It was my last day being home with my family. I decided to spend the day with my little brother at his favorite indoor trampoline park. "Chase Im all ready to go, said China." "Coming , replied Chase."

"Drive safe China, said dad." "Yes sir, I will. I recently turned 18 and got my license. My godfather got me a 2020 custom Lamborghini as a birthday/going away gift. Chase was excited to be finally riding in my car. I could see it all over his face. The Trampoline Park was only 15 minutes from our house. Chase face lit up as we pulled in. He beat me to the door. I decided to get us all access wristbands since I got a boat load of money from my party. Plus I gave him $100 to buy whatever. "Thank you sis. You are the best, said Chase." Running off noticing 2 of his close friends. I knew Rico wasn't far due to the fact that 1 of his friends was his little brother. I spotted him playing a basketball game in the back. I decided to sneak up on him wrapping my hands around his eyes. "I knew that smell all to well. Is it you China, said Rico?" I have to get me a new scent. "Sorry about the other day at my party, said China." "There is just so much going on in my head, especially with my mom being sick." "No worries I understand, said Rico." He was such an understanding, caring person. I loved that about him. We played games and caught up for what seem like hours. Then we had a bite to eat. I snook a few pictures of him to always have. He was perfect. Short curly hair, hazel green eyes, dimples to die for. He was for sure a ladies man. Rico was 19 and I just turned 18. He gave me a feeling I never had. "Rico I am going to miss you." " Not for long, said Rico." I didn't know rather to get mad or smile at that comment. I just decided to leave it was late anyway. "Chase time to go, said China." "Coming sis, replied Chase." The ride home was silent. Chase was knocked out. He had a ball today and it made me feel much better to see him happy. I carried him in the house, changed him into his pajamas, and tucked him in. He stayed sleep the entire time. "Such a hard sleeper, I laughed to myself." My mom hated when we didn't shower before bed but he was just to tired. I took a quick 1 and did my little ease into bed with my mom laying on her chest. Slowly she wrapped her arms around me. Her words were on my mind as I stared at the wall. My emotions started to get to me. Once again I started to think this was my last day being home before college and maybe my last day being in my mom's arms. I kissed her on the cheek and cried myself to sleep. Tossing and turning all night was a nightmare. It was only 6 a.m. I decided to try to get 2 more hours of sleep so I laid back in my mother's arms. She was ice cold I fell to the floor with a face full of tears. Breathless I felt and I begin to feel faint. My mind was gone. Thinking was out of the question. Everything turned black.


August 03, 2020 15:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

15:58 Aug 03, 2020

Im new at this and I pray I win. I put my all into this short story. Hoping for good reviews.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deborah Angevin
10:34 Aug 14, 2020

I agree with the other commenters; would love to see more paragraph breaks! But overall, a great story :D P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Grey Clouds"? Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Doubra Akika
12:47 Aug 09, 2020

This was really beautiful! There were a few errors though. I think you should spell okay like this instead of like ‘ok’. I scrolled up to try to find some of them but then I couldn’t find them🤣. I think you did a great job though. Loved the concept! If you’re not too busy though, would you mind checking out my recent story? Have a lovely day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lynn Penny
19:41 Aug 08, 2020

This was a great piece, matched great with the prompt and not too many grammatical errors. My one piece of advice is to add more paragraph breaks, especially after a bit of dialogue. That will help tremendously with the flow, a large chuck of text can be quite hard to read. Awesome job!

Reply

19:46 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you so much. I will work on that. It's my first time doing something like this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.