7 comments

High School American

It is a lovely morning day, I wake up, brush my teeth, and dressed my uniform on. I go downstairs to have breakfast with my family. It's now 6.30 A.M. However, I suddenly remember that I got a really important exam at school at 7.00 A.M. It's a math exam, which I forgot to review some hard math problems that my teacher gave me yesterday.


Yesterday, my teacher Ms.Laura mentioned about the exam that we would have today, she told us to do some advanced math for homework. Honestly, I am really bad at math. I often get the D- in class or if I am lucky, I'll get at least a C+. So I am really nervous about the exam. Every bad and unlucky thinking just comes to my mind and have a "big" party in my brain, yeah really big. But then, I think "Why do I have to worry?" I just need to go home, take a shower, relax and review the homework that Ms.Laura gave me. I do not worry anymore (maybe a little bit). Then, it comes.


My best friend name Hao, he's from china but because his parent is rich and conditional so they design to let him learn at the school that I am studying. Hao is a kind and friendly person, he is willing to help people when they are in trouble. However, everyone has advantages and weaknesses.


He's a good person but he's giddy. He never wants to study anything in class. He always does not completely focus when the teacher is teaching or talking about something that is really important. He also doesn't do homework even he can do it. Teachers in school are really mad about him, they said that he doesn't respect them while they are in class. His parents are concern about his studying stuff, too. Teachers often report him about his behavior in class, and that makes Hao's parents really sad and disappointed about him.


The night before the day that I and the entire students in my class have the math exam is really important. But Hao doesn't even care about it. That is not a surprise at all because it is... normal to him.


When the class ended, I run as fast as I can to get home early to prepare for the exam. Then I see Hao. I think he is chatting with someone because of the phone in his hand and those quick fingers try to type a massive amount of letters. I intend to walk to Hao's place and say "good luck for the test" but he does it first. He runs to me and with no thinking, he said:

-"Hey, do you want to hang out with me and some of my friends tonight?".

-"Uhh... no thanks, I have to prepare for the test tomorrow," I said. But he just tries to convince me to hang out with him:

-"Oh come on, just for a while. Like 15 or 30 minutes, please!!!!"

At that moment, I hesitate, I don't know what to do. For the exam or for the best friend. By somehow, I accept because I think "How bad could it be?"


We design to go around China Town, it's like a market but sells everything from almost everywhere. We go shopping, eating, playing some games,...

-"Is that fun?" Hao asks.

-"Yeah, I enjoy it so much, thank you," I say. Then everyone goes back home and I just forget something very serious.


Ok, let's get back to the morning when I forgot to review the homework. I am really confused about why I can not prepare for the math exam. Then I remember, it's because I got home late yesterday after hanging out with Hao. I was too tired so I fall asleep, "It will be great if I lay down on the bed, close my eyes, have a nice dream," I think. Then I lay down on the... floor (it's not so bad to sleep on the floor actually).


I try to calm down and eat my breakfast as fast as I can in 5 seconds (that is not even possible so don't try it at home!). But then I have a genius idea, I'll walk to school while eating breakfast and also, review some math that I forgot yesterday. I am such a genius. I try to take as much information as I can into my brain. Those make my brain full like my brain just eat a ton of burgers at Burger King. I expect to get to school later than normal but somehow, I just need 5 minutes to get there. I think when you are nervous about something, it will come faster.


Everyone around me, my classmate, my friend, teachers, and even Hao is really normal like nothing bad will happen. I am sweating all around my body. There are like a hundred feelings that come to me. Sad, scared, disappointed, regret,... It's already 6.50 A.M.


I slowly go to the exam room, I see everyone is talking about how hard is the math homework which makes me feel more nervous. I see my identification number match with the first table which places in front of the supervisor. Honestly, I thought I would cheat on the exam in the morning but I don't have time to write some notes, and I am afraid I would be caught by the supervisor.


Suddenly, I feel tired and a headache comes to me and makes my head feel bad like a flood destroys a village. It's worse and worse but I can not say anything. But then it ends. I feel normal and I can talk. But I feel a little bit weird in my eyes. It feels like something is moving in my eyes but I don't care about it at all.


The exam has begun, everyone is writing things that they have learned yesterday but I just write what I learned... this morning. The first sentence is easy, but the second and the rest are complicated. I feel nervous again. However, I suddenly see a different view and if I am not wrong, it's David's exam paper.


David is the smartest student in the class so he's confident in the exam. I am confused. Why David's paper is here. Then I saw some sentence appear on the paper, that's must be David's answer. Now I realize something, it's must be the last 15 minutes headache that makes me feel bad. It gives me the power (or the ability) to see what other people see! I feel excited right now because I can see David's answer, I'll pass this exam.


For the entire exam, I copy everything I see in David's paper (except the name). This is freaking cool. It's been 50 minutes and there are just 10 minutes left. But I have finished the exam 20 minutes ago. Everyone around me is surprised because I do it so fast. I just sit there and wait for the bell to ring. Time over, everyone submits their paper to the supervisor and goes home, so do I.


I go home in happiness and excitement. But then I feel so bad about doing it. I think it's not fair for others. I can get the right answers without preparing anything but everyone doesn't do like me (of course because they don't have that power). I feel sad and slowly walk back home like when I do in the morning. But now I walk so slow, not fast like before. Finally, I get home. When I am about to open the door with disappointment and shame...


Ring...ring...ring... I suddenly wake up, I was sleeping on my desk with a bunch of paper about math. Then my mom from downstairs said:

-"Hey Ken, come and get some food son".

Then I realize that everything is a dream. There is no power and the exam doesn't even start. Yesterday, I got home in time, not too late as my dream goes. I have enough time to prepare for the test. Then I calm down and do the same things in my dream, I get out of bed, brush my teeth, dress in my uniform, and have breakfast with my mom (my dad went to his company before I woke up). After breakfast, it's 6.30 A.M, I feel fresh and energetic. Now I am ready for the exam at school (hopefully it will be fine because I have prepared for it at home yesterday).


August 04, 2021 09:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Grace Kalu
20:23 Aug 06, 2021

I like your story, Kenny! I'm typically like that as well. I'm always so hectic and frantic when it comes to taking a test, but in the end, I feel ecstatic because whether I pass the test or not, all that matters is that I gave it my all. (Also, are you new to Reedsy, because it seems like you are...I'm also new to Reedsy so you can check out my 1st story if you'd like :)

Reply

Kenny Boy
08:02 Aug 07, 2021

yeah, I am new to reedsy

Reply

Grace Kalu
18:41 Aug 07, 2021

yay! Have you checked out my story yet?

Reply

Kenny Boy
07:14 Aug 08, 2021

yes, it is really nice. I love it. I also enjoy reading in in the evening

Reply

Grace Kalu
15:32 Aug 08, 2021

Thanks! Yours too (even though I said that like, a day ago:) I like to read any time of day but yea I couldn't agree with you more 😂🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grace Kalu
15:37 Aug 08, 2021

also, u have a follower! That's me! I followed you! Congrats on 1 follower!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Grace Kalu
16:58 Aug 10, 2021

U didn't have to follow me if u wanted to, but thanks anyway! 😁😁😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.