0 comments

Sad Mystery Creative Nonfiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

For weeks, the tension had been mounting in the cramped little house. Money was tight and jobs were scarce, putting strain on Ronnette's parents' already fragile relationship. 

Her father, once a loving man, had taken to drowning his failures in a bottle of whiskey night after night. And with each swig, the darkness inside him grew. 

More and more, he'd come home spoiling for a fight. Any little thing could set him off - a burnt meal, the kids being too loud. And he always seemed to direct his rage at her mother first.

This particular night, Ronnette watched from the stairs as he stumbled in, reeking of alcohol. Her mom asked him wearily about his day, but she could see the angry look in his eyes. 

"I don't wanna talk about it," he slurred, shoving past her into the kitchen. That's when he noticed the empty liquor cabinet. "Where is it?!" 

"I poured it out," her mom said softly, worn down by his addictions. That's when he lost it, grabbing her arms so tight Ronnette feared he'd snap the fragile bones. 

"You stupid bitch!" he roared, spit flying. Ronnette covered Danielle's ears but they'd heard it all before. Then came the first punch, cracking across her mom's face and sending her crumpling to the ground.

The yelling was too much - not again. Ronnette peered through the crack in her bedroom door and stifled a gasp. Her dad had mom pinned to the wall, fists flying in a drunken rage. 

Mom's cries pierced the air as Ronnette clutched Danielle, covering his eyes but unable to look away herself.

Later that night 

Ronnette began filling her bag, stuffing in what few belongings she treasured. A soft creak broke her focus.

"Ronnette?" Danielle's small voice called from the doorway.

Her heart dropped at the tear tracks staining his cheeks.Danielle's worried expression in the doorway. She mustered a small smile, not wanting to worry him further. 

"Hey champ, what are you doing up?"

Danielle rubbed his eyes, glancing at the half-packed bag. "Where you going sissy?"

Thinking quickly, Ronnette zipped the bag shut and took his hand. "Nowhere, Danny. I'm just getting some clean clothes for school tomorrow."

He didn't seem fully convinced. "Then why you crying?" 

Her eyes welled up again but she held the tears back. "I'm okay, I promise. Come here."  

Ronnette pulled Danny close, hugging him as if her very life depended on it. She kissed his forehead softly.

"Everything's gonna be alright. Now get some sleep and don't you worry about me."

Reluctantly letting go, Danny offered a small nod before retreating to his room again. Ronnette did not allow her tears to fall again. She had to leave - but it was tearing her apart inside.

Ronnette waited until midnight when the shouts finally stopped. She eased her sibling' bedroom window open and climb out into the cold night. "I’m sorry" she whispered, kissing foreheads before taking off into the darkness alone.

Tears flowing down her face, memories of mom's battered face spurred her running further from that hellish place each mile. Weeks passed as she survived on her own before starting over in a new town. 

But some nights, trying to sleep in her borrowed apartment, Danny's voices still echoed in her head - "Please don't leave me!". 

She knew she did what had to be done was the right choice.

Six years passed in the blink of an eye. Ronnette, now going by Riley 22, settled into a quiet life running the dinner shop. But memories of that fateful night still clung to her like a shadow. 

As the seasons changed, Riley couldn't stop wondering about Danny and Mom - were they okay? Had they managed to escape? Guilt nibbled at her gut for leaving them behind with that monster. She hoped against hope they somehow found the better life she dreamed for them.

On their birthdays and holidays especially, sadness overwhelmed Riley. Regrets that she couldn't be there to talk to her mother, and watch Danny grow up, to keep them safe like she promised. Laying awake restless too many nights, she replayed the what ifs endlessly in her head. 

If only she'd fought harder to take them with her that night. If only she could go back and change everything, give them the life they deserved. But it was too late to undo the past. All Riley had now were these poignant memories replaying on endless loop in her mind like a broken record.

One rainy night, as she closed up the dinner, a snippet from her past suddenly emerged outside the window - a teenage boy with Danny's smile.

Riley froze, not daring to believe her eyes. She blinked away the rain and rubbed her glasses - no, he was still there. 

"Danny?" she called tentatively as he leaned against the diner window, looking lost. 

At the familiar nickname, the boy glanced up in surprise. His brow furrowed as he took in the stranger who somehow knew his name. 

"Do I know you?" 

Riley's breath caught in her throat. Before she could stop herself, she reached out to touch his shoulder, wanting to feel he was real after all these years apart. 

Danny flinched away from her hand. "I said, do I know you lady?" His eyes, once so full of warmth, were now wary and guarded. 

Crumpling inside, Riley realized that to Danny, she was nothing more than a stranger.

"I'm...I'm sorry," she choked out before fleeing

to the back of the dinner, hot tears blending with the rain still pouring down outside. Her worst fears confirmed - she was too late. The past could not be reclaimed no matter how tightly she clung to the memories. All that was left now was regret.

The rain continued to fall as Riley stood frozen behind the diner window, watching Danny walk away into the night. His words echoed in her head - "I said, do I know you lady?" Each one cut like shattered glass. 

As he faded into the darkness, the lyrics to a familiar song floated into Riley's mind unbidden. "Ronnette, my dear, don't ever disappear." It was their song, the one Mom used to sing on hard days to remind them of their bond.

Riley hadn't thought of it in years, not since leaving that painful past behind. Yet there it was, rising to the surface like a cry from her soul. She had to make this right, even if Danny didn't want her anymore. 

Grabbing her coat, Riley plunged into the rain and followed the direction Danny went. She searched frantically through the dark streets, squinting through the downpour. Finally, a lone figure came into view at the edge of town, shoulders hunched against the storm.

"Danny, wait!" Riley called, feet splashing through growing puddles. He froze at the sound of his name, not turning. 

Gathering her courage, Riley continued the song's lyrics as she approached. "Do what you want as long as you stay here. I need you now, I love you so much more than you could know." 

Her voice wavered with emotion, raw and unpolished like it was in those early nights singing him to sleep. At the final words, Danny slowly faced her, brow furrowed as if unsure he could believe what he was hearing. 

Riley took a tentative step closer. "It's me, Ronnette. I know I have no right after leaving you, but I never stopped thinking of you, not for a single day." 

She held her breath, heart in her throat as Danny searched her eyes. Then, to her disbelief and relief, the faintest of smiles touched his lips. "I used to think that song was just a dream."

Riley let out a sobbing laugh, overjoyed that her brother still lived underneath the armor. In an instant, all these years of regret dissolved as Danny pulled her close, finally reunited in the rain.

This story was encouraged by the prompt and by the song Christmas Kids by ROAR the beginning lyrics Can you make this for the ending the story 

This story was encouraged by the prompt and by the song Christmas Kids by ROAR the beginning lyrics 

Ronnette, my dear, don't ever disappear

Do what you want as long as you stay here

I need you now, I love you so much, more than you could know

The Christmas kids were nothing but a gift

And love is a tower where all of us can live

You'll change your name or change your mind

And leave this fucked up place behind

But I'll know, I'll know

I'll know, I'll know

I'll know, I'll know

I'll know, I'll know

February 02, 2024 20:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.