Time was Precious

Submitted into Contest #234 in response to: Write a story about someone whose time is running out.... view prompt

19 comments

Sad Fiction Suspense

Twelve hours to go...


I should be thinking about all the meaningful things in my life. I should be revisiting the well-thumbed memories in my mind’s catalogue of experience. I should be itching to see all the people I haven’t had a chance to catch up with. I doubt they’ll come. Would I, in their position? I should be making atonement for my past errors. I should be writing letters of apology. I should be doing all the things that you’re meant to take care of. All I can think of is my own body. All I can feel is the duvet wrapped around my mottled head, the burning sensation in my stomach, hot as an inner furnace, the puckered skin that covers what once was nimble bone and taut muscle.


Eleven Hours to go...


I should be asking for my daily walk. I should be asking to see the blue expanse of sky. I should be cherishing every sight and giving myself the opportunity for exposure to them. I should be breathing the garden’s air. I should be observing the borders of this place I thought I could call home. All I can do is count down the minutes until dinner, stay static and hold my left hand with my right. All I can do is squeeze one hand with the other: an act of assurance, a way of saying, “I’ll be there for you when no one else is.”


Ten Hours to go...


I should be talking to the people around me. I should be tying up the loose ends. I should be digging out the documents that might be needed. All I can do is greet the arrival of breakfast like a half-starved stray. All I can do is stretch my begging hand in the direction of the delivery of tasteless sustenance. I feel the plate in my palm and the smell of its contents assault my senses. All I can do is wish that it wasn’t porridge for breakfast today. All I can do is wish for some variety, for some small say in the way I get to live.


Nine Hours to go...


I should be helping to direct my belongings into the right boxes. I should be making room for the next resident. I should be acknowledging the friends I’ve made. I should be staring at all the family photos I have around the room. I should be praying to God, or to the people I’ve lost, or to something I believe in; anything. All I can do is sit in my memory foam chair, staring with a glazed expression at the unconvincing characters on the TV screen. All I can do is watch the staff coming and going with beady, scrutinous eyes, failing to trust them anymore.


Eight Hours to go...


I should be serenading everyone on the piano like I did when I arrived. I should be singing at the top of my lungs. I should be leading the choir in chorus. I should be filling in the hours of the day. All I can do is sit, empty handed, staring at the framed picture that adorns the wall; the one I’ve never liked nor understood. It has a painfully pale child on a hobby horse. The child isn’t smiling. All I can do is wonder what it means. I try to get to the bottom of it, but in the end, I always give up. I wish they’d take it down from the wall. It has become an object I associate with trauma just because it reminds me of where I am and what stage I am at in life. At least I won't have to look at it any longer. Its haunting presence will be passed on to the next occupant.


Seven Hours to go...


I should be jumping at the chance to have a bath in hot, healing water. I should be enjoying having my hair towel dried and then blow-dried, by different sets of hands to my own. All I can think of is the water that has run into my eyes by mistake and the sting of it that blinds me, the claw-like nails of the mobile hairdresser as she scrubs the little remaining life out of my scalp.


Six Hours to go...


I should be regarding the impressive gardens through the wide windows. I should be watching the movements of the birds. They’ve done all they can think of to attract them to that place, in terms of bird houses, bird baths, fat balls, feeding trays, but their comings and goings barely register with me. I should be interested in everything around me. All I can do is sit and look inward, ignoring my surroundings and wishing time would come to a halt – or that it had at a stage preferable to this one.


Five Hours to go...


I should be making some wisely worded diary entries, logging my thoughts and feelings for future worriers. I should be applying the last of my make-up – the small amount of residue left in the lipstick casing, forgotten for ever by people with disposable tendencies and modern day attitudes. All I can do is sit, as if in a state of paralysis, watching it all play out around me, like a theatrical disappointment for which it’s too late to request a refund. The final curtain will be coming down shortly.


Four Hours to go...


I should be standing back while they strip everything out of my room that made it mine. I should be bowing my head submissively, showing my gratitude for my time spent here. I should be handing out handwritten cards with messages inside that inspire tears, even in those with the woodiest exteriors. All I can do is continue to sit in my chair. I don’t have the option to move around. My body isn’t willing.


Three Hours to go...


I should be taking my last cup of tea with reverence. I should be self-effacing and easy to please. I shouldn’t request extra sugar or milk, even though they know I take it. God knows I’ve been here long enough. They don’t usually forget. They’re already erasing me from their memories. All I can do is voice my needs. I’m the only one that will.


Two Hours to go...


I should be in a state of acceptance by now. I should gladly be receiving my last dinner. I should be making this easy for them. All I can do is sit with my own discomfort and sense of injustice writhing inside me. All I can do is appear biddable on the outside whilst I’m screaming inside.


One hour to go...


I should be waving enthusiastic goodbyes to the staff of the residential home. I should be thanking them for their efforts these last few years while I was still mobile. I should be glad I’m moving to a nursing home with specialised care, for those of us they want rid of but that they’re stuck with until the end. I should be smiling sweetly as the nurse wheels me into my room. I should be happy to see my new room; to have somewhere else to go. But all I can do is look around and realise this is my waiting room for death and to all that knew me, I’m already gone. 

January 20, 2024 15:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Re La
19:45 Feb 05, 2024

This was a powerful peace. A lot of I shoulds that sort of become enchanting. A great piece to meditate on our fates.

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:29 Feb 01, 2024

Clever. Well written, excellent prose, and a good surprise ending. Thank you.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
16:02 Feb 02, 2024

Aw thank you so much Denise, that means a lot 😊

Reply

01:49 Feb 09, 2024

It’s hard to compete with the youth writers isn’t it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
20:53 Jan 30, 2024

Beautifully written and really emotive and immersive. A great story, all too recognisable, well done for bring it to life with such sensitivity.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
21:48 Jan 30, 2024

Aw thank you so much Wendy, I really appreciate that 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
15:35 Jan 28, 2024

Beautifully done. Sadly, it speaks too loudly to me as I wonder if you’ve just captured my future…now too close. Very clever approach and nicely executed without being overly long. Way to go!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
20:58 Jan 28, 2024

Aw I’m sorry, I hope it didn’t trigger you. I think your future can still be filled with wonderful things 😊 thanks for reading and taking the time to comment 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
10:35 Jan 28, 2024

Powerful story which keeps on building. Great sadness here. The MC is beyond the point of being able to alter things.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
15:07 Jan 28, 2024

Thank you so much for reading. I’m glad you thought it was powerful 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bryon Mayfield
23:11 Jan 27, 2024

Very powerful story. Love the structure and diction. My favorite line was definitely "...like a theatrical disappointment for which it’s too late to request a refund." Great job!

Reply

Keelan LaForge
22:45 Jan 28, 2024

Aw thank you so much! Thanks for taking the time to read and share your thoughts 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:15 Jan 27, 2024

That is incredibly sad. I am guessing you have been close to someone who is still mentally capable, but has lost use of limbs? The story left me thinking that the person who was speaking was possibly someone with dementia, however the ending did a great job of spelling out what was actually going on.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
23:06 Jan 27, 2024

Aw thank you and I’m sorry if it made you sad! I think I just tried to imagine what it would feel like. I had my grandmother in mind but that wasn’t what happened to her and it wasn’t based on her. I just imagine it to be a lonely time in life but it’s an important moment that gets forgotten about too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:00 Jan 24, 2024

Oh, what a beautiful story. I felt so sad for your main character.

Reply

Keelan LaForge
15:28 Jan 24, 2024

Aw thank you so much Stella 😊 Sorry it made you feel sad!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:40 Jan 24, 2024

That's okay. Great stories make the reader feel, and you did that !

Reply

Keelan LaForge
16:35 Jan 24, 2024

Aw I’m happy to hear that, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:16 Jan 20, 2024

Must move along.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.