1 comment

Friendship Drama

Thoughts. They were the one thing in her life that made sense. One thing she noticed the most about extroverts was their carefree nature to do rather than to think. Myra couldn't wrap her head around not having a thought process behind every decision. Sure, her friends would admire her leap of faith when her medical patient care job fell through, but that was just hidden stress she didn't want them to see.


Was it a lie to not share everything? At this point, she didn’t really care what they thought about her. At some point, you come to grips with the fact you're not everyone’s cuppa tea.



“Mommy?” A whisper called out from behind the door. She looked over at her three-year old son holding up his new toy truck with the lights and sirens going off. He smiled and handed it to her in awe.

“Look,” Mica said, completely mesmerized, “The colors…”

Myra nodded and handed the truck back to her son, “Go show daddy, Mica. He loves trucks.”

Mica shook his head in disappointment, “He told me to show you.” She cringed to herself, they were too alike sometimes.

She knelt down on the ground, “I’m going to work, I want you to be good. Can you do that for me?”

He nodded and spun around before scampering off to the kitchen.


“I’ll be back around 5, Peter.” Myra called before closing the door behind her.


Suddenly, she woke up with a gasp.


"Mom!" She called out in the dark.

She heard mufffled footsteps enter her room.

"What happened?" A groggy voice said.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you, I dreamed I was married and had a kid. It's so strange."

Her mom, Sylvia, laughed sleepily, "It's probably just your nerves about tomorrow. Don't stress it."


Myra nodded before rolling over in her bed.


The morning came just as quickly as the dream went away.


A rush of emotions overwhelmed her. Too many cuts were rushing to the surface ready to bleed. Myra knew she was running away, but it didn't matter anymore. If she had known what was to happen, Myra would have tried to stop the cause of the wounds.

Marco, her father tapped her shoulder, "You okay? You seem really upset."


She looked up and forced a smile, "Oh yeah I'm fine. Thanks."

He nodded believing her act without a thought.

He continued talking,"So, do you have everything you need?"

Myra looked at the pile of luggage near the door.

"Yeah, I think that's everything."

He smiled, "I can't believe it. You're so grown up now."

"I told you 6 months ago this was my plan to move to Utah for my college program. You don't have to be surprised."

He shrugged, "Yeah your right. Sorry, it came faster than I thought."

Myra gave Marco and Sylvia, her parents, a hug before getting in the car.

With a small wave, she drove and didn't look back.

This was no time for regret. It was too late for that now.


But there was one problem. Her parents didn't know one thing. It's not like she had to tell them at this point, she was living of her own paycheck now. But moving somewhere completely different than Utah. She wasn't moving there, she was having her mail there, but forwarded to a new location.

"No backsies," she murmered to herself.

This was a new chapter, it was time to live it.


All her life Myra had lived on the east coast, but now she was going into new territory moving to Arizona. Her grandmother lived there from her mom's side, not her favorite relative in the family. She couldn't help it, although she was so grateful for the checks over the years for birthdays or graduations, but the real question remained: did her grandmother actually know her? Myra had to laugh at that, everyone knew the answer to that. She knew that what her grandmother cared more about what Myra did with her life than actually knowing who she was. But Myra had to hand it to her, at least she had been a part of her life even if it was a very small way. She had to remember, a lot of people didn't have a grandmother at all, this wasn't something to complain about.

By the time these thoughts subsided, the 24+ hour drive flew as quickly as they came.


It wasn't the fact that she didn't want to go to Utah, it was the freedom Myra wanted to choose which college campus she went to. So many decisions had been made up for her, and this time, she was tired. Myra was tired of fighting, of trying to explain what she wanted. Listening wasn't something her family was good at - sometimes you had to show rather then tell (for her family at least).

"Hey, welcome! Are you Myra?'

She nodded.

"Go to gate 32, your dorm is right to the left."


Arriving at Arizona was the most freeing experience she had yet to experience. And she was grateful for it.

For once, she could make the decisions she wanted and do it how she wanted.

She sighed in peace.

She parked in lot 32 and looked at the brick buildings with open windows and people walking around campus.

Opening her car door, she stepped into the building as of she owned it. She smelled the college odors, but she didn't mind.

Girls and guys alike walked around laughing in the halls or in the lobby area. She peered into what was going to be her room.

It was cozy in a way, not too crammed, but just enough space. She nodded looking at the window overlooking campus.

"This is nice," she breathed in the crisp air while admiring the sunset.

Just as she unpacked and got comfortable, her phone buzzed on the counter.

"Hey Mom, hey Dad."


"Hey sweetie! How's the unpacking going? Utah going good? How is it?"

A billion questions they asked, but finally she heard her father's voice on the phone.

"I know you didnt go to Utah. Why didn't you tell us?"

She sucked in a breath. "You knew?"

She could hear a grunt over the phone.

"Um, oh. I didn't know what to say. I can't explain to you what I really wanted to do. Can you please understand?'

"We're disappointed. We want you to share, can't you do that for us? We want the best for you and to be a part of it."


Myra realized her mistake in trying to hide her plans.

It hurt her relationships rather than save them.

"I'm really sorry."

"We love you, Myra. We'll never stop loving you."


I love you too," she said with a sigh. "I'm sorry too."





P.s. I'm disappointed that Reedsly changed their rules and are making this a $5 entry. For that reason, most likely I won't be publishing any more stories and will be going to a different place to submit my stories.

Thank you for all your support.

_Aubrey Maria✌️_


August 06, 2021 18:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mercy Ineke
21:07 Nov 18, 2021

Great story

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.