3 comments

Fiction

The world of Aethel was a canvas painted not in vibrant hues, but in varying shades of twilight. Sol, the once-proud sun, had shrunk to a pale ember, its life force ebbing away with each passing cycle. As a result, light was a coveted treasure, hoarded by the wealthy in glimmering crystal orbs and doled out to the less fortunate in rationed spoonfuls.

Elara, a young woman with eyes like pools of moonlight, belonged to the latter. Living in the forgotten corners of Lumen City, she knew darkness as intimately as her own breath. Her days were spent navigating the inky labyrinthine alleys, her fingers trailing familiar grooves on the rough stone walls. Her livelihood came from scavenging scraps of luminescence - wispy trails of moonlight captured in glass vials, embers snuffed from dying lamps.

One day, while rummaging through a long-abandoned library, Elara stumbled upon a hidden chamber. Inside, bathed in an ethereal glow, lay a magnificent contraption - a clockwork sun, its brass gears intricately woven, its heart pulsing with a captured sliver of Sol's fading brilliance. It was a legend whispered in hushed tones, a forgotten relic from a bygone era when light was as abundant as the air.

A spark of rebellion ignited in Elara's heart. This clockwork sun, if reactivated, could bathe Lumen City in warmth, rewrite the oppressive laws of light rationing. But the path to illumination was fraught with danger. The Luminarch, the power-hungry governor, guarded his monopoly on light with an iron fist and a network of merciless Shadowstalkers.

Elara, aided by a ragtag band of fellow scavengers, each with their own scars etched by the darkness, embarked on a daring heist. They infiltrated the Luminarch's opulent palace, navigating through halls veiled in perpetual dusk, their only guide the faint luminescence of Elara's scavenged vials. They outsmarted cunning traps, evaded silent patrols, and finally stood before the clockwork sun, its brilliance momentarily dimmed by neglect.

With trembling hands, Elara coaxed the ancient mechanism back to life. Gears whirred, pistons pumped, and with a shuddering gasp, the clockwork sun blazed to life. Its golden rays poured out, flooding the palace in a glory unseen for generations. The city held its breath, then erupted in joyous pandemonium.

The Luminarch's reign of darkness crumbled. Elara, once a nameless scavenger, became the Sunbearer, a symbol of hope in a world teetering on the brink of perpetual night. The clockwork sun, though a mere echo of Sol's lost brilliance, offered a fragile reprieve, a chance to rebuild a world bathed in the shared light of defiance and ingenuity.

Aethel's future remained uncertain, but for the first time in generations, a sliver of dawn painted the horizon. The dying sun might have cast long shadows, but Elara and her companions had ignited a spark that refused to be extinguished. In the face of encroaching darkness, they had chosen to chase the light, not just for themselves, but for the embers of hope flickering in every heart that yearned for a brighter tomorrow.

he tremors started subtly, a faint vibration through the cobblestones that sent ripples through the crowd. Whispers of fear began to rise, mingling with the newfound defiance. The Keepers, however, seemed undisturbed, their gazes fixed on Elara and the obsidian with cold calculation.

Suddenly, the city shuddered, a guttural groan echoing from the very bones of Umbra. Dust rained down from the obsidian ceiling, and the glowbugs went out in a sudden cascade of darkness. Panicked cries erupted, pushing into the unnatural silence that settled like a heavy shroud.

Then, from the heart of the city, a blinding light bloomed. Not the flickering ember glow they were accustomed to, but a searing white-hot radiance that pierced the perpetual twilight. Elara shielded her eyes, her heart hammering against her ribs. When she dared to peek, she gasped.

The firepit, once a dying ember, now blazed with an intensity that rivaled a miniature sun. It pulsed with an unfamiliar energy, bathing the city in a stark glare that cast jagged shadows. The obsidian in Elara's hand crackled, its polished surface morphing into a swirling vortex of molten lava.

From the pit surged a creature of pure light, a phoenix reborn from the ashes of a dying sun. Its form shimmered and shifted, wings composed of swirling nebulae, body a living star. It soared into the obsidian ceiling, the stone melting like ice before its touch. A gaping hole was ripped open, revealing a glimpse of the true sky beyond – a breathtaking expanse of glittering stars, each burning with a ferocious intensity that made the embers of their communal fire seem like faint candle flames.

The city fell silent, awestruck and terrified. The Keepers, their iron facades cracking, took a hesitant step back. The phoenix, bathed in the light of a million suns, turned its gaze upon Elara. In its burning eyes, she saw not a god or a monster, but a reflection of her own audacity, her own defiance against the inevitable.

And Elara, a girl woven from whispers and stolen embers, did not cower. She raised the obsidian orb, now an incandescent mirror reflecting the newborn sun, and met the phoenix's gaze with unyielding defiance.

This was not the end. This was a new beginning, born from the ashes of darkness and the embers of hope. The light, once hoarded and stolen, now blazed upon them, a challenge and a promise. It was a light that demanded a choice – to embrace the dawn or cower in the shadows.

Elara knew what she had to do. Raising the obsidian sun high, she cried out, her voice a clarion call echoing through the newly-lit city, "To the stars! To a world bathed in light!"

And the crowd, bathed in the newborn sun's glow, answered her with a roar. The echoes of their voices reverberated through the caverns, the whispers becoming a chorus, the stolen embers igniting into a wildfire of hope. This was the day Umbra chose light, the day they stepped out of the shadows and reached for the stars.

The road ahead would be long and perilous. The dying sun, though reignited, was a flickering candle in the cosmic ocean. But for the first time in generations, Elara and the people of Umbra had a choice. They could rebuild their world, not just with stolen embers, but with the light of a thousand suns, a light born from their own defiance and the whispers of a forgotten dream.

The story of Umbra was now theirs to write, not in the shadows, but under the blazing light of a reborn sun. And Elara, the weaver of words and dreams, would be their chronicler, her ink stained not with the dust of ashes, but with

January 05, 2024 19:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Melissa Matury
17:49 Jan 18, 2024

The pacing was nice with the paragraphs being of similar length, but the ornate descriptions sometimes slowed it down unnecessarily. I enjoyed the world you created and could really see this as a novel. I wanted to know more about the loss of light, the social structure of the society, the government, what it would be like to feel my way around a city. Cool concept. Elara is a character filled with so many possibilities. You have a great start with her and I think if you keep editing, you will figure out what to cut and what to add with dev...

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. D. Bradshaw
14:54 Jan 13, 2024

The beginning definitely comes across as reminiscent of The City of Ember, but the latter part, from the rising of the phoenix, definitely felt like it's own thing. Obviously it's a little unfinished, and it's a bit rough around the edges, but with some refinement, I think it has a lot of potential. I hate to ask, but I'm curious if AI was used? I hope this doesn't come across as an insult. Personally I'm not against using it, so long as it's not copied word for word, and extensive editing gives it more cohesion and adds the author's uniq...

Reply

Spencer Gordon
19:57 Jan 13, 2024

It's not insulting at all , I understand the curiosity. I did use it for the outline but I made some changes around it. I'm not a short story writer I'm more of a poet and this was my first time trying to write a short story at length. I wanted to add more but I struggled to come up with more meat and potatoes for it. Didn't have too much time on my hands for this one so I understand if it comes off unfinished But thank you for the feedback regardless

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.