We Need Apples 🍎

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write about two characters going apple picking.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Funny Happy

       The sky was grey. Colorful leaves were blowing in the crisp air, gathering on the edge of the sidewalk waiting to be crushed by a child’s shoe. Many people were excited for the change of season because they were filled with that autumn spirit in which they knew it was time to go to the pumpkin patch or decorate their front porch with spooky decorations. For Sherry, it was the time of year to make her favorite pie; apple pie. She would make it every year with the help of her best friend Charlotte who happened to have an obsession with apples. Every day she would eat an apple, drink nothing but apple juice, and even named her dog Apple. When Sherry called her to come over because it was time to make the traditional pie, Charlotte came running before Sherry even got the chance to hang up.

“So when are we starting?” Charlotte asked excitedly, rubbing her hands together and licking her lips.

“You didn’t even let me finish what I was saying on the phone.” Sherry complained. “I was going to tell you that I ran out of apples.”

“You what?!”

“Exactly what you heard. It seems that my apple storage has been out since somebody keeps stealing one every time they come over thinking I wouldn’t notice.” Sherry said eying a deniable Charlotte.

“I’ll make it up to you by going shopping right now and buying as many apples as you like.” Charlotte said.

“That won’t be necessary since I was hoping we could go apple picking at the nearby orchard. I think it will be a fun activity to add to our apple pie baking adventure.” Sherry said with a smile. 

“Do we have to pay?” 

“I’m afraid yes, so don’t even think about stealing any and shoving them into your “secret” pockets.”

“Darn it.” 

“Well then, let’s get going.” Sherry said, making her way to the door.

“You’re pretty dressed for the occasion. I mean look at you with your knit sweater and twenty feet scarf.”

“It’s getting pretty chilly these days. Are you sure you want to be wearing those jean shorts right now?” Sherry asked pointing towards Charlotte's shorts.

“I’ll be fine. The cold never bothered me anyway.” Charlotte strutted towards the door confidently. The two friends made their way to the nearby orchard enjoying the scenery around them. They spotted a squirrel who was gathering nuts, reserving them in order to get ready for hibernation. The trees had already lost their green leaves, which were replaced with much more colorful ones that stood out stupendously against the brown branches. A cinnamon scent somehow made its way through their noses, making them more excited to bake their delicious apple pie. As they arrived at the orchard, Charlotte couldn’t hold in her gasp. There were so many apples! This was heaven to her. Sherry closed her mouth shut. 

“You’re going to attract flies.” She giggled. 

They each grabbed their apple pouch and started wandering around. 

“I think this one looks ripe and this one and this one!” Charlotte said excitedly shoving apples in her pouch.

 “Slow down! Most of the apples that you’re grabbing aren’t even ready to be eaten yet. We need them to be ready by today.” Sherry scolded her like she was her mother. 

“Sorry, it’s just that there are so many apples and I really love them.” Charlotte said sheepishly. 

“The best type of apples are the firm light red ones. Stay away from the yellows, they might be the most bitter.” Sherry explained. 

“I think all apples are great. Even the ones that seem like they’re about to rot amuse me.” Charlotte smiled to herself. 

“I swear we need to put you in my strange addiction show sometime soon. That would be pretty entertaining to watch.” Sherry laughed as she said that. Charlotte pouted and looked at the apple that she was holding only to find a big fat juicy worm crawling out of it. 

“Ahhhhh!!!!” She screamed, dropping the apple on the dirt ground.

“What’s wrong?” Sherry asked with concern. 

“Th..There’s a giant worm crawling out of that apple. It scared the crap out of me.”

Sherry only started to laugh hysterically and picked up the apple holding it out to Charlotte.

“I’ll give you fifty bucks if you take a huge bite out of this.” She said amusingly. 

“No way, I’d rather give up apples for a whole year than eat that.” 

“Wow, you giving up apples? Now that’s something I’d like to see. You wouldn’t even last a day.”

“Whatever, let's just leave before I lose my appetite.” 

“Yeah, we collected enough to last us a few days with you around.” When they arrived at Sherry's house they washed the apples and cut them up into perfect slices. Sherry had to keep Charlotte from eating them. The last hint of cinnamon was sprinkled on top of the pie as the finishing touch. While they waited for the pie to be ready, Sherry suggested that they play Charlotte’s favorite card game, Apples to Apples. 

“I won again!!” Charlotte jumped from her chair.

“Of course you would beat me at this game.” Sherry mumbled.

“Have you decided what you’re going to be for Halloween this year?” Charlotte asked.

“I’m thinking of being a scarecrow.” Sherry answered. 

“Well you don’t need a costume for that.” Charlotte joked.

“Shut up. Let me guess, you’re going to be an apple.”

“Nope! I’m going to be an apple juice box!!”

“Close enough.” Suddenly the timer went off indicating that the pie was ready. Sherry grabbed the oven mits and pulled the golden brown pie out of the oven, placing it on the counter. 

“Can we eat it now?” Charlotte asked desperately.

“Sure. Even if I told you no, you’ll still grab a piece.” Charlotte cut a slice, placing it on a white plate and handed it to Sherry. 

“Here this is for you and the rest is for me.” She said as she took the rest of the pie. Sherry sighed and then chuckled. The same thing would always happen every year. That is what would make this time of year special. It was seeing her best friend being happy over something that most people see as not a big deal. They would surely go apple picking next year. Hopefully, they wouldn’t find another worm on their next visit. 🍎 

October 17, 2020 02:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.