The Prom Movie Moment

Submitted into Contest #97 in response to: Start your story with an unexpected knock on a window.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Friendship High School

Cora sighed before grabbing another handful of popcorn. The romantic movie she had put on wasn’t enticing her at all, even though it was one of her favorites. It was her senior year prom and instead of experiencing the magic of secretly spiked punch, dancing with her girlfriends, and music loud enough to deafen her, she was at home. 

Originally, she was going to attend with her group of friends. Unfortunately, that plan crumbled in a matter of weeks. Penelope had been asked out by Luke, her crush of two years. There was no way she was going to turn him down. Then Sandra had been promposed to by her best friend's twin brother. Maybe she’d been watching too much Victorious since she’d secretly liked him for a while. Cora thought she could rely on Emily and Robin not to ditch her but Robin got back together with her girlfriend even after swearing up and down she wouldn’t. Emily, not wanting to be one of the only single people in their group, had asked Jayson out that same day. 

Knowing no one would ask her and she didn’t have the courage to ask anyone else, Cora had given them an excuse of no longer being up for it. For the first few hours, she had looked at everyone's Instagram, keeping up with them getting ready, eating dinner, and arriving at the venue. It mellowed her to the point that she had put her phone under her pillow to resist temptation. Out of sight, out of mind. 

She deserved her Footloose prom moment. Her 10 Things I Hate About You prom moment. Her She’s All That prom moment. Her Pretty in Pink prom moment. 

Instead, she was eating junk food in her comfiest pajamas.

An unexpected and rather loud knock on her window caused her to let out a scream. Clutching her heart, she slowly walked to it. On one of the thick tree branches outside her window was her guy best friend Matthew. Sliding her window up, she asked him, “What are you doing here?” 

“Well,” he grinned. “I’m hanging on this branch. Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

Rolling her eyes, Cora stepped back to allow him to enter. She had gotten rid of her window screen years ago when Matt had first suggested that climbing the tree was a better alternative to the front door. 

“You are so lucky my parents aren't home.”

“I knew they wouldn’t be, Cora. You told me three weeks ago how sad you were they’d miss your prom day.”

Sighing, she sat on the edge of her bed. “It doesn’t matter now. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy you’re here. But what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be dressed in a tux dancing with your friends?”

Matt ran a hand through his walnut hair, his emerald eyes searching her room. Finally, he looked at her again. “I decided to ditch prom.”

“Why on Earth would you do that? You’re joking right?” 

“If I was joking, I wouldn’t be here instead of at the hotel.” 

Cora stood up and grabbed her bowl of popcorn. She offered it to Matt who took the entire bowl instead of a handful. She let out a laugh at his behavior, causing a smile to come to his face. 

“I’ve been texting you. Why didn’t you answer?”

“You have?" she asked in surprise. “I hid my phone to save myself from sadness and my own bothersome thoughts.” Pulling her phone out from under the pillow, she quickly read through the string of texts he had sent. “What’s so urgent?” she inquired. The last text had said he had something important to tell her, that needed to be said in person. 

He sat the bowl down and started to pace the room, a nervous habit of his. Cora had seen Matt do it right before he ran for office sophomore year. He’d done it right before he got the courage to ask Anne Garner out junior year after he'd been crushing on her for months. Matt had done it back in middle school when he was working up the nerves to ask his parents for a tattoo. They had obviously said no. 

Suddenly, he stopped his pacing. Cora walked up to him and placed a hand on his arm. “Is everything ok? Omg, did something happen with your family?” Matt had the most adorable seven-year-old twin sisters. They loved Cora even more than they loved him. 

“No, no. It’s nothing bad. I’ve just been thinking lately.” Cora waited for him to continue. “About life. About our friendship. About prom.” 

Cora couldn’t help but let out a little laugh. “Matt, we’re going to graduate before you tell me at this rate.” 

He looked at his best friend, the kind smile on her face, the twinkle in her brown eyes. “I like you,” he blurted out. 

“I like you too. That’s why we’re friends.” 

“I like you in a more than friend's way. I like you in a, I’ve always thought you were pretty but lately, I’ve seen you and the only word that comes to mind is beautiful way. I like you in a, you make me laugh so hard my sides hurt, I can come to you with any problem, I can sit next to you and not talk for hours and still be comfortable way. I love you, Cora.” 

Shock. That was the only thing Cora felt. She and Matt had been friends for so long she never would have thought something like this would happen. Her mouth was open but no words were coming out. All she could do was stare at him. 

He ran a hand through his hair. “Shit. I messed everything up, didn’t I?” He started walking back towards the window. “I’m sorry,” he said over his shoulder. "Just forget I said anything.” 

His hand was on the window frame, ready to leave. Cora grabbed his hand and pulled him so he was facing her. “I like you too.” He stared at her in disbelief, his eyes wide. “I’ve liked you for a while but I didn’t want to admit it to myself because I was scared of ruining our friendship. But I like you, Matt. A lot.” 

His signature grin was back, causing Cora’s heart to soar. “So.”

“So.” 

One of his hands came up to gently hold her face, while the other was on her waist. He leaned forward slowly, so she could back away if needed. Instead, Cora leaned forward.

They kissed. It was soft and gentle, the two of them trying to find their rhythm. They pressed closer together as they kissed, their lips moving in sync.

When they broke apart, they smiled at each other. Cora could feel her lips tingling from the magical kiss. Reaching into his pocket, Matt pulled out his phone. A slow, classical song started to play. He placed his phone on her desk and held a hand out to her. 

“May I have this dance?” 

“Of course.” 

His hands found her waist as she snaked her hands around his neck. They swayed gently to the beat, gazing into each other's eyes the entire time with smiles on their faces. They kissed again.

It was better than any prom movie moment. 

It was their moment. 

June 11, 2021 23:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.