0 comments

African American Contemporary Science Fiction

Monday, September 17th

Dear Diary,

I made a new friend today—an actual real-life friend. Her name is Agatha, and she just moved here from Chicago. 17 is such a sucky age to move to a small town in Pennsylvania. I feel really bad for her, but that's not why I decided to befriend her. I'll tell you the story.

We had first period together. Calculus. Gag. And while all the other smarty pants in the class were working away at the assignment, Agatha whipped out her bottle of O.P.I. black shimmery nail polish and started painting away. I actually laughed. I mean, red is way more my color, but I loved her nerve. And the fact that she already hated that class as much as I did. She even commented on Mr. Lemming's weird sweater vest. I told her to get used to it because he had one for each day of the week. She's delicious, and I already love her.

Thursday, September 20th

Dear Diary,

Today, I decided that I was going to invite Agatha to my party this weekend. I mean, I know I only met her three days ago. I know. But she's so much deeper than the other girls I hang out with. All they want to do is get drunk, talk shit, and fuck the football team. I mean, that's great and everything, but I didn't realize how bored I was until I met Agatha.

Like, yesterday, she told me about how she and her friends from her old school would spend time swapping actual secrets about themselves and sneaking out to parties where they would leave behind little drawings and paintings. Since most kids had parties without their parents' knowing about them, she secretly hoped their artwork got them busted. God, she's so wicked. I could swoon.

I hope she leaves something behind at my house for me to remember forever.

Kisses,

B

Sunday, September 23rd

Dear Diary,

Oh my god, she did. Agatha left behind a little sketch on the wall behind my desk. It was of two skeletons dancing around a fire. I don't know if they were meant to be me and her, but I'm going to pretend they were.

She was so impressed with my family's house. That was always my favorite thing about having new people over. It was the foyer that blew them away every time, and their awe only grew from there. She was especially impressed with my room. She asked what my parents did for a living, and I just said, "Oh, you know, a little of this, little of that." Not that I could ever tell her. I love having a new friend and sharing secrets with her. I think she has the potential to be around for a long time, but there's not a chance in hell she'd still talk to me if she knew everything.

I gave her a little wink, and she seemed satisfied with my answer. I think we'll have a girl's night next.

Kisses,

B

Monday, September 24th

Dear Diary,

I got a sunburn today. Boo. It's going to turn into a nasty rash by the end of the week, I just know it. Also, my mom doesn't like my new friend. We saw each other at the grocery store. Her mom is so sweet, by the way. My mom thinks that she's bad news, though. Like what does that even mean in this family? She's soooooooooooooooooooo judgemental, and it makes me want to set her on fire.

Whatever.

Kisses,

B

Tuesday, September 25th

Dear Diary,

Bad news. Apparently, Agatha wasn't satisfied with my answer at my party. She asked if she could come over after school, which I obvi said yes. She just left now, and my stomach won't leave my throat.

We were hanging out in my room, listening to music and talking when she told me that someone at school said my dad's work was a little sus. I asked what she meant, and she just shrugged her shoulders. When I asked who she was talking to, she said it was a guy in her creative writing class. My money's on Theo. We dated a couple of years ago, and he was super pissed after our break-up. He kept following me around... Well, you remember. He almost had me, too. I mean, no one else in this stupid, waste of space town gives a crap. I still don't understand what his malfunction was. Even though he's long given up, I'm not surprised he's still happily spreading rumors to the new girl. To my friend.

We painted our nails, but she was pretty quiet. Then she told me bankers "just don't usually make this kind of money." I said that my mom had a huge inheritance. I tried to change the subject and asked if there were any boys she had her eye on. She just laughed awkwardly and said no. I really didn't believe her. I could practically smell her lie.

Kisses,

B

Saturday October, 13th

Dear Diary,

I've been way too slammed with school and haven't had time to journal. Sorry.

But I think I'm in deep shit. Like inside a coffin in the ground under an actual pile of shit, shit. Agatha's totally been hanging around Theo. They looked a little too comfortable when I saw them studying in the library the other day, you know? I mean, I'm not mad at Agatha. She doesn't even know we dated. I'm pissed about all the shit I know he's filling her head with. God, I wish he would just LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY.

Anyway, I went to my dad's office downtown. This is the part where I'm pretty sure I'll be toast once I tell my parents. I didn't even notice them following me. I should have. I should have at least heard them. They were trying to be sneaky, but they're both idiots. I feel totally bad saying that about Agatha, but I mean, come on. I've been her friend since day one. Is this how she treats all of her friends? Stalking them? Back to the point, I didn't notice them until I'd left my dad's office and we'd been discussing... stuff.

I'm almost positive they overheard.

Ughhh. And my dad's totally going to axe that new security guard. He was way cute, too.

I'm going to miss seeing his face every week.

Kisses,

B

Sunday, October 14th

Dear Diary,

I think I fucked up. I told my parents what happened, and they were super pissed. I was expecting that part but not what they said next—that I needed to deal with the problem. Me. All by myself. Like what? What am I supposed to do? They're the ones so good at taking care of problems.

I don't know what to do. I can't kill my friend. I mean, she's definitely the best friend I've ever had. I told her almost all my secrets, and she actually listened to me. We like the same coffee, the same music, and the same clothing stores. She's made me watch a whole bunch of new movies that I thought were going to be lame, but they actually turned out to be pretty good. And she dragged my ass all the way to the city last weekend. We had such a blast.

I can't lose her.

Kisses,

B

Friday, October 19th

Dear Diary,

I've thought long and hard about this. Agatha's been ignoring me all week, and that's only made my decision easier. She'll understand once she knows the truth, I'm sure of it. I'm super nervous, though. I've never done this before.

But I'm doing it tonight, and no one's going to convince me otherwise.

Wish me luck.

Kisses,

B

Saturday, October 20th

Dear Diary,

Technically, it's Saturday, but I haven't actually slept yet. I'm waiting for Agatha to wake up. I had to take care of Theo—he got in the way. Not that it wasn't any less traumatic. But Agatha was my goal. Theo can go fuck himself. It's his fault I'm in this mess anyway. If he had just kept his big, stupid, fat mouth shut, Agatha would still be herself, and everything wouldn't be super weird between us. He's still alive, but I don't think he will be for long. She'll be a bit of a demon when she wakes up. Or at least that's what I've heard anyway. My parents will probably kill me once they find out what I've done. But I couldn't get rid of Agatha. I just couldn't.

Kisses,

B

***

Oh god, she's totally pissed. Theo is dead. She was completely whacked out when she realized what she had done to him. And she was strong. I mean, I was born this way, right? I had no idea how strong they were when they were made. She's gone. I have no idea where she went, but I'm about to go out and look for her. I can't believe what a mess this is.

Sunday, October 21st

Dear Diary,

What. The. Fuck. I can't believe that bitch planned this. Just because Theo knew her fucking secret, she decided to drag me down with her? I didn't want this. Oh god. All I want is blood. I want it all the time. I can smell it everywhere I go. I can't get it out of my nose. I can't get it out of my head. I'm so hungry. I wish I would have just left it all alone.

Your old owner, Bianca? Yeah, she's dead, by the way. This is Agatha. I'll be writing in you from now on.

She really was a good friend. Until she fucking turned me into one of them and had me suck the life out of my boyfriend. The way he screamed will haunt me forever. And I pushed him to tell me more. I pressured him to tail her with me. He wanted me to drop it, saying he had already tried and found himself with a powerful enemy. I thought he was being dramatic. But I knew what they were when I heard her talking to her dad about... dinner. I should have seen what she was coming. I could have prevented Theo's death, but I was an idiot. B was right to call me that.

God, Bianca. She just had a way of making me feel like I was the only person in the room, you know? I just wish I would have known she was a vampire from the start. I don't know what I would have done, to be honest. I read her entry saying there's no way in hell I'd still be her friend if I knew the truth, but I really think we could have made it work. Unfortunately—for her—we're never going to find out.

I'm not really sure what to do now, though. Probably run, right? Her parents will absolutely know it was me. They'll be able to tell that I'm no longer human. They'll kill me.

I'll keep you posted.

Kisses.

A

July 13, 2024 04:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.