10 comments

Fiction Drama Sad

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

For you, my love, I liberated the country from the oppressors. Those morally bankrupt demons threatened our country with foreign plagues of thought. Our traditions were trampled into the ground. We who held onto the righteous path were called backwards.

            Our way is the only way forwards. Have we not proved that? We cleansed the country of impurity. Our victory was our vindication.

            At first, I was nothing but a foot soldier with zealous anger in my heart and a gun in my hand. As friends fell to the war of liberation I moved to the forefront of this new age.

            Always, you were in my heart.

            Decades have passed but my dedication remains, I will never forsake you, or our people. There is more work to do.

            Everywhere I look I see impurity.

            Men who fought the same temptations by my side for decades have become lost in their own power. They build towers to themselves out of vanity. It cuts my heart that they must be torn from the party.

            Some call me a hypocrite.

            They see my face on the posters as I urge our people on to greater heights. They see me in the finest suits as I observe the proud parades of our soldiers.

            I am proud.

            We have risen through adversity to stand tall on the world stage.

            I remember the day we were betrothed. I had never seen anyone so beautiful in my life. We were shy as our parents introduced us. I never believed the stories about you and that girl. It was my pleasure to wipe anyone who ever said those things about you from the world.

            I have always been your protector. When women have accused you of salacious acts, I have cut them from the world so they can do your reputation no harm.

            We have carved out this paradise together, you and I. Through famine and war, we built a nation we could be proud of. When we are gone our son will lead the family into the next age of prosperity.

            Of all things I am thankful for the heir you gave me. He is my mirror image. Strong and unforgiving. Everything I am, he will be. He does not fear to bloody his hands to keep the nation clean. Every time he puts down a rebellion, I know he will be a glorious leader.

            Just imagine, my love, his statue next to mine on Victory Road. When we are gone, he will stand before the people as our army marches through the streets. The masses will weep with joy to know that no matter the sins of the rest of the world, our nation will remain pure.

            I am accused of many things. You know the truth. Our fair land is threatened by those who do not share our beliefs. They hold to foreign religions that undermine the progress we have made in eliminating obscenity. We are educating them, showing them the folly of their false beliefs.

            Fools call it cultural genocide. Really? They are being saved from the false path. They will join the righteous. We gave them classrooms, bedrooms, free food. Their smiles in the videos tell the truth, they are happier when they are taught our ways.

            One people. One language. One culture. One road forward.


You never question me. I appreciate that. You talk when I need you to talk, and do as you must. You are a flower that does not flaunt its beauty to the world.

            I see other women flaunt their lust and it disgusts me. I see men acting like foreign buffoons and I know it must be stopped. Vainglorious haircuts, foreign clothes, brash colours. This is not the way we achieve glory.


I knew terror the day you were found bleeding. I still don’t understand why you did that to yourself. The image of you in that bath hardened me as much as the trials of war. You will never leave me. I promise you endless gardens where you may walk among flowers as beautiful and fragile as you.

            You are a merciful woman, I know. Your pleas for mercy almost saved the maid from her fate. No. She hurt you. I had to destroy her for that, and her family for good measure. No one hurts my wife.


As time passes the sins of our enemies creep across the border into our paradise. Films and television from infidels infect the pure minds of our sons and daughters with decadence. Our creation will rot if we cannot keep the poison from taking root.

            Foreign filth makes mockery of the most sacred acts. When I visit the censors, they show me programs that deface the act of creation with pleasure. To suggest that the divine act of procreation is for the purpose of pleasure is hideous. I have demanded that all reference to ‘orgasms’ is removed from any of the foreign trash that makes its way across the border.

            Their nations will wither under the indulgent weight of ‘inclusion’ and ‘tolerance.’ When the act of creation is not kept to man and woman, nothing is safe. Their populations decline while ours remains steady. We will outlast them.


We have been married for thirty magnificent years. I hope we will celebrate our sixtieth anniversary in the future when our glorious nation has risen to new heights.

            On this auspicious day I gift to you, my rock, the future of our military. Our new class of battleship will be named after you. When we retake the waters from infidels, your ships will be at the forefront of our new borders. We will show the world our strength. Our might will rewrite the maps. Our resolve will conquer the minds of the willing and the impure. Our purity will save the soul of our nation.


Because you love flowers I also gift to you a garden of roses. Where the embassy of our accusers stood, I have crafted a garden worthy of the mother of a nation. Each flower that blooms, will do so in honour of you. You are my rose, and mine alone.

February 13, 2022 04:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

L M
07:56 Jan 11, 2023

So she doesnt want him and hes too stupid to realise that she’s gay? He controls her whole life and fhe entire country. This is scary.

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:49 Jan 11, 2023

This is how I think dictators must convince themselves that they’re the heroes. I think they must believe no one but them can guide humanity towards greatness. They seem to think that whatever wrong they do is justified by a greater good. People are allies or enemies to be cast aside.

Reply

L M
10:02 Jan 11, 2023

Scary.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:14 Jan 11, 2023

But true, I think.

Reply

L M
07:14 Jan 12, 2023

Perhaps

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kevin Marlow
02:55 Feb 17, 2022

Nice detour and social commentary for the times through a lens of the past. Edit note, second to last paragraph resolve instead of resole?

Reply

Graham Kinross
04:38 Feb 17, 2022

Thank you for the compliment. I made the change in the text as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
20:27 Feb 13, 2022

Hey Graham! Sorry for the late comment but I wanted to say that I love how you write in medieval times. It really is a different approach to writing and you conveyed the prompt really well. Oh well, that was just what I wanted to say:)

Reply

Graham Kinross
20:36 Feb 13, 2022

Thank you Calm Shark, I appreciate your compliment. The Valentine’s prompts didn’t suit my fantasy story so I thought I’d try something else.

Reply

Calm Shark
20:39 Feb 13, 2022

Your welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.