19 comments

Fiction

I look down at the Truckers Hitch in front of me and think what have I gotten myself into? It's a Thursday night, and I'm sitting in a village hall in some arid place on the Essex coast (the least romantic of all the British coastlines), trying to placate you.


For most of my adult life, it is you that has been the constant. In that time, we've grown into something; a thing that needs nurturing through Japanese cooking classes, wine tasting, and Friday night family meetings.


I suppose that's what happens when you meet young and marry because that's what everyone else is doing. You thought it would be something good for us to do together—a new hobby, something to learn and discuss at the dinner table after we've covered work, weather, and the weekend.


You knew I was on the edge. I didn't think I wanted to leave, but I knew you wanted to nip any thoughts of it in the bud. I couldn't fault your drive to keep the marriage alive, but I wasn't sure learning the ancient, yet safety-conscious, art of tying sailing ropes was the answer. Nevertheless, it was poetic; I had to hand it to you. Finding some class to teach us how to keep things from floating apart was smart.


Our teacher, Mrs. Adams, looked like she had never been sailing, let alone touched a boat before. Her unfortunate weight would surely have made her a poor sailing companion, and her obvious affection for wool clothing wouldn't have helped.


I look across at you, laughing with the elderly couple sat next two chairs down. Behind their heads is a poster from some long-forgotten Sunday school which says:


Peter 4:8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.


I look down at my attempt at the Truckers Hitch, which looks like it would barely hold a toy truck, let alone a real one. In contrast, you are piling up beautiful knot after knot: Carrick Bends, Icicle Hitches, Alpine Butterfly Bends. They stack up, ready to be inspected by Mrs. Adams, who is already eying up your output like a golden retriever. 


At the far end of the room, a magpie taps at the window and I wish I were outside. I was taking photographs of a Tea Clipper in Malden village when you walked through the frame 10 years ago. You were this free, wild thing that flew in on a rare southerly wind, all red hair and warm laughs.


I can feel you watching me dawdle. I know you're willing me to learn, to want to be here in this godforsaken village hall filled with people 15 years our senior. I smile and look back down at my poor attempt at a Bowline Knot. It's meant to be secure but easy to undo, which feels ironic.


"Now class, you're all doing excellently well," Mrs. Adams announces with a short clap, "so we're going to have ourselves a little competition. I'll give you 5 minutes to see how many different knots you can tie. The most knots completed wins a little prize."


You look over at me with a sly smile, both competitive and encouraging. A few people around you comment that you're the one to beat. The timer starts, and the class falls quiet.


I start with an Ashley Stopper and think of all the women I've been with. You are by far the best, but I still wonder what life would be like if I were with Ashley Stopper, or some other Ashley, or anyone for that matter. Would they enjoy it when I stroke their leg like you do, when I kiss the back of their ear?


When we first married, you didn't want to settle down, but I did—or at least I wanted a home and someone to be in it when I got back every day. I was the anchor, and you gladly became my Anchor Hitch, and I loved you for it. But you complained when I was late, which made me inevitably later.


The magpie raps at the window again. No one else seems to hear it. I move onto an Alpine Butterfly Bend and think of all the trips we've taken in recent years. When we were last in Italy, we stayed in our hotel for three days, just lying tangled in sheets and room service menus. On the fourth day, you wanted to go hiking, but the Champions League was on, so you went alone.


Mrs. Adams calls "60 seconds left" and a few ladies squeak excitedly. I look down at the two and a half pieces I've made; it's probably all I can be bothered to do. The magpie taps on the window again, even harder; yet no one turns around. The noise literally goes through me.


The timer dings, and the class starts to murmur excitedly, looking around at everyone's creations. No one looks at mine. Your desk, on the other hand, is littered with knots, loops, and artfully crafted pieces that look too beautiful to be practical and too practical to be art.


"I think we have an obvious winner! What a wonderful collection, you're a born sailor, young lady," Mrs. Adams coos, and the whole class erupts in excitement, pushing back their chairs to admire your deft handy work. You smile coyly. The magpie continues to tap even more intensely on the window.


It's in my head—this ticking bomb. This incessant nagging, this thing no one can hear but me, this creature trying to drill a hole into my very being, this rope around my neck.


I erupt.


"Will you shut your fucking trap before I break your neck."


The room goes silent, and I see your eyes become wet, though your mouth is firm.


You've tried to tighten the line, but I've let the rope go slack. I try to pull it back, but you're no longer attached to the end; it only just dawns on me that the anchor has been cut loose.


I watch the magpie fly away unbothered by my outburst, and the room returns to marvelling over your Rat Tail Stopper Knot.

April 21, 2024 15:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Ty Warmbrodt
03:19 Apr 22, 2024

You're an exquisite writer for sure, and you come up with some magnificent ideas. The story flows beautifully. I'm in awe.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:22 Apr 22, 2024

Thanks Ty! Massively appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
16:03 Apr 21, 2024

I've missed reading your stories, Claire! This one may be your best yet...what a unique take on the prompt. You have a beautiful way of syncing words with thoughts. You're good in that space of creating a magical discord. Keep them coming! 😊

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:21 Apr 22, 2024

Thanks so much Harry! Had a bit of a break around some holidays, always good to get out your own head a bit! Thank you so much for the kind words!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
05:56 May 02, 2024

Clever, creative metaphors about tying knots, releasing them, and letting anchors go as symbolic of their marriage. The repeated foreshadowing and symbolism of the magpie tapping the window like the thoughts and feelings tapping away in his mind till he explodes builds suspense. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie Burges
09:57 Apr 28, 2024

lovely story - if planning the demise of your wife can be lovely - but lovely it is. Thanks for writing, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Helen A Smith
17:44 Apr 27, 2024

This is a well-crafted story and excellent response to the prompt. The magpie kept tapping away, a potent image of things not being right. I loved the way you used that image. Great pacing here and you captured my attention.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yuliya Borodina
14:40 Apr 24, 2024

Masterful parallels between the lesson at hand and the bigger picture. I didn't realize there are so many knots! Will have to look them up :) Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hannah Lynn
02:19 Apr 22, 2024

“the anchor has been cut loose” my favorite line of many great lines here. Great story of this couple trying to save their relationship.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:23 Apr 22, 2024

I’m glad that last line worked, wanted something that felt quite blunt so glad it landed! Thanks again for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:08 Apr 22, 2024

Welcome back. Missed you. Missed your dry/wry wit (Mrs. Adams looked like she had never been a sailor ....), mixed with the poignant and unbearable truth (... after the weather, work and weekend plans). And your allusions to the inevitable end (the magpie - drilling the truth into us). A winner, Claire. Don't leave us again.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:25 Apr 22, 2024

Thanks so much Trudy! Miss you guys too! Had some holiday to take and have actually been working on some longer stuff…. All a bit tbc! So so glad you liked this one, you’re on an absolute roll at the min, I need to catch up on all your wonderful work! Hold the line I’ll be with you soon!

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:26 Apr 22, 2024

Holding.....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:15 Apr 21, 2024

Yes, sometimes easy to tie the knot and not so easy to keep it tied. Excellent as usual.

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:28 Apr 22, 2024

Thanks Mary, exactly that, takes effort to keep it good and tight!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
20:02 May 02, 2024

Thanks for liking my 'How's your Aspen's.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:36 Apr 21, 2024

*sees a new Claire story, drops everything to read* Hahahaha ! Seriously, though, I'm always so enamoured with your writing, and this is no exception. I love the play on "tying the knot" and how your protagonist not being able to do it well is a sign he's done with the marriage. So clever ! As usual, brilliant use of detail + a buttery smooth flow. There is a reason you are one of my favourite authors here. Splendid work !

Reply

Claire Trbovic
21:29 Apr 22, 2024

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ I will take buttery smooth flow all day! Thank you so much AA!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:24 Apr 23, 2024

No worries at all. Funny, you should use my real life initials, I'm reflecting on whether to switch to my real name from now on or not. HAHAHAHAHA

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.