0 comments

Drama Black Contemporary

Zenachi woke up really tired. Checking her time, it was past 8am in the morning. 

Oh my God! She exclaimed, jumping up from the bed and running towards the bathroom like someone who has seen a threat. 

She rushed her bath, got dressed immediately and headed for the road to the office. 

As she drove out of light estate, her phone began to ring.

What is it Rachel? She asked. 

The representatives of Sonas company are here ma. 

OK, I will be there in 30minutes she said and hang up.  

Driving really quietly on the road, a drive collieded with her as she managed to escape being hit too hard. 

The driver came out of his car immediately to check up on her.

Oh my God! Miss, are you OK?

I am fine she said! 

I am sorry for that little accident, it's just that... 

Did you just say little? 

Um... Yes, I mean it could have been worse. If you...

Get out of my way. She said. 

Excuse me? 

Without saying a word further she entered into the car turned the keys and wheeled off. 

What the...? She's rude! The young man exclaimed as he also went his way. 

She got to the office pretty late at 10:22am. 

Good morning ma, said Rachel as she collected her bag and took it straight to her office. Zenachi followed her behind. 

What is my schedule for today like Rachel? She asked. 

Well you have a meeting with the representatives of Sonas company as they are already waiting in the conference room and... Oh my God ma, what happened to you? You are bleeding from your head. 

Rachel, she tried calling out as the young lady was lost in her worries. 

Rachel! 

Yes ma,  

It's fine, I'm fine alright. It's just a little scratch. Let's go meet with our clients, every other thing can wait after the meeting. 

OK ma. 

(in the meeting) 

Good morning ladies and gentleman, sorry for keeping you waiting. I had a slight issue with traffic this morning. 

There is no need for any explanation. As a matter of fact, we are not interested so I suggest we get to the business of the day. Said the first lady looking so thin as one thought she would break in pieces as she speaks. 

My apologies once again. So um.. Looking at your work and proposal we have decided to work with you and your company. Sweet communications has looked her customer's satisfaction at heart which is very important and so we will take the job. 

Good to hear miss Zena. Hope I can call you that if you don't mind said the second lady who was looking like an owl in her glasses. 

Yes sure you can, she replied. 

Alright then, it's a deal. But we would want a sample if you don't mind, because the colours and pictures are also important and must be of great quality. 

I will send forward them to you this Friday. Replied Zena. 

Alright then it's a deal said the man as they stood up hand shaked and left the room. 

Zenachi was so excited as she closed this new deal. Immediately she called Rosa, her best friend to tell her the good news and then she called Jeff, her boyfriend of over 2years to share the good news with him. 

Hey baby, how are you doing today? Jeff asked

I am fine, she answered with all excitement. I have good news! 

OK... What's is it? Jeff asked. 

Remember that deal I was telling about two weeks ago? 

Well yes..

We closed it today. In fact the clients just left my office a while ago. 

Wow! Congratulations baby. This calls for celebration Jeff said. 

I know right. Zena answered. 

How about we hang out later today Zena asked? 

Aww.. I am sorry baby but I won't be chanced as I have a lot on my plate right now but not to worry, I will make it up to you. Jeff said. 

Oh! Ok. I will just go back to work then. Bye! She hung up. 

*    *       *       *          *

Next morning at the office *

Good morning ma!

Good morning Rachel. What is my schedule like today? 

Well Ma, it's nothing too tedious. Actually I called Remi concerning the photo shoot and he told me that he has a job outside town but will send someone over. 

Oh come on, why would Remi do this naw? When is the person suppose to come Zena asked? 

By 10am ma. 

OK, no problem. Send him in immediately he arrives. 

OK ma. 

About an hour later, Rachel called in her office. 

Yes?  

Ma, the recommended photographer is here. 

Alright send him to my office. 

Zena went back to work, so focused on her screen until she heard a knock. 

Come in she said. 

Good morning madam! 

Good morning Mr... She raised her head to look at him. 

You! She exclaimed 

So we meet again, the young man said as he sat down. 

Arrgh. What are you doing here? She asked 

Excuse me? You called for my service. He said

Oh! You are the photographer? 

Yes I am. He answered 

Oh no! 

What? You don't want to work with me , I mean what is the problem? He asked 

Nothing, it's fine. I guess you have been briefed about the details of the job? 

Yes I have. It good to see you are doing well ma'am He said. 

Zena, call me Zena. 

Well Zena, I, Damilola is happy to be at your service. 

Hmm.. She grinned 

Just as he left Her office, Rosa walked in. 

My, oh my, who is that? Rosa asked flirtingly

Who is what? 

Babe you didn't tell me you now hire hottie for your company? 

Abeg, that's not my problem now. Zena said. 

Hehe.. How far ?

My dear, I am fine as you can see. 

Well I came to invite you for dinner tonight. I am coming with Steve so bring Jeff along. Rosa said

Jeff isn't in town. He traveled. 

Oh!  

Yeah. So you guys should just do dinner without me and besides I have a lot to do right now. 

Ah ah naw, you work too much. You should go out and have some fun too. 

Rosa sweetheart, thank you for your care but I am fine. 

On her way out of the office later in the day, she received a call from Dami. 

Hello Zena, are you busy now? 

Not really. Is there a problem? 

Oh not at all. 

Well I have an idea I wanted to share with you for your campaign so I thought maybe we could meet up. Dami said 

Does it has to be now? She asked 

Well this is business and if you are not comfortable with it, then it's fine. 

Text me your location. She rolled her eyes 

About 15mins later she was at the address. *

Hi, come in. 

Thank you, nice place she said 

Thanks. What can I get you? He asked

Nothing, I am fine. Let's just get on to business 

OK.. So I have this idea. That the shoot should be done in an open area like a market place. 

How exactly is that going to work and how is it going to push the campaign? She asked 

Calm down and hear me out. Dami said 

No, I don't have to listen to this. I bring my plans you do the shooting. And as she kept rattling on and on, Dami locked her mouth with hers.

What was that for? She asked startled 

Just breathe, Dami said 

Look lady I don't know what your problem is but you need to get your acts together. Just shut the fuck up and listen. 

Shocked at his reaction, she just sat there looking at him. 

Good. He said and continued. Like I said, we need to shoot in a market place, this will bring about more of the beautiful colors and also a kind of relationship between the product and it's customer. It will pay more than the in-house shooting or any other shooting with popular faces. So I suggest you go sleep over it and get back to me. Thank you for your time. 

Without saying a word, Zena stood up and left the apartment. As she drove, she couldn't even comprehend what had happened but one thing was sure to be in her mind. How dare him kiss her and then shut her up. 

The next morning Zena came into the office to see Dami waiting for her. 

Good morning angel he said smiling 

Without replying his greetings she said, I am not your angel and let it be of reminder that what happened yesterday must not repeat itself.

OK I promise it won't happen again. I am so sorry for how I acted. It was unethical. He said

Good! This morning we have a meeting with Sonas company so get ready. 

I am ready anytime you are my lady. He said still smiling 

This irritated Zena so bad but she has no choice but to stick with him until the project is over. 

After an hour seated with the clients in the conference room, Zena walked into her office really depressed. It turned out the clients were not impressed with her work and have given her two weeks to make it work else the deal is over. 

Dami tried to cheer her up but it really was working so he decided to take her out for fresh air. 

Let's go somewhere, I have something to show you. He said

Look, I am not in the mood right now 

I insist, he pleaded 

She finally agreed and he took her to the beach. 

What are we doing here? she asked 

Well to receive natural air. The air in the office was becoming too stuffy and I was scared you would choke he said with a smile 

Not again she exclaimed! 

Not to worry, I will leave you to yourself for ten minutes to take a walk. 

So he took her by the hand, drag her out of the car with her shoes off and asked her to walk the beach for ten minutes. 

She did just that and walked back towards the car to meet with him. 

How do you feel? he asked 

I Feel better she said. 

That's good to know, he replied. 

How did you know this would work? She asked

Well whenever I am sad or stressed out I usually come here to relieve myself. It's a good therapy you know. 

Yeah it sure is.Thank you. She said 

You are welcome my lady he said and she laughed. 

Wow.. You look so beautiful when you laugh. I mean this is my first time of seeing you smile or even laugh. 

Haha.. She laughed out loud 

Keep it this way. 

From that moment a beautiful friendship was born and they both work together happily. Dani's idea was finally accepted by Zena and they implemented it and submitted the work to the client. 

Two days later the representatives of Sonas company came for a brief meeting, stating how impressed they were with the job well done and approved it. After they left. Zena and Dami jumped to hug each other for the great achievement and in the process Dami kissed her. She responded back which gave him the chance to press further. 

Excuse ma, oh I am sorry ma, I will come back later. Rachel left the room with both of them staring at each other. Excuse me, Zena said as she left the room. 

For Three days Zena was avoiding him. She didn't want to see him or even pick his calls. Until the weekend when Zena went for a party and bumped into Dami. 

Oh I am so sorry she said.. 

It's fine.. Zena? He called 

Hi Dami! 

What are you doing here, she asked

Oh the celebrant is family 

Oh. OK 

Hey Zena why are you avoiding me? 

Me? Avoid you? Of course not. Why do you think I am avoiding? 

Because you weren't taking my calls and you wouldn't see me. 

I am sorry Dami, it's just that I have been busy. 

Look Zena about what happened last time 

Yes.. About that I am sorry it didn't mean anything. It was just an honest mistake She said. 

Why are you lying?he asked

I'm serious it was a mistake. I have a boyfriend and I love him. 

Do you? He asked 

Holding her by the hand he dragged her into a private room. 

Look Dami, I have nothing to say to you right now. So please lets just end this. You can come to the office next week to collect your balance. 

As she was about to leave, he held her hand and pinned her to the wall. The heat between them was so intense as he began to caress her, raising her dress with his hand. He kissed her gently, not wanting the feeling to end. He whispered to her 'I love you' and I know you feel the same way, so please don't let it end. With that she pushed him out of her way and left the party leaving him to drown in his pain. 

She went to Jeff's house only to find him pants down with another woman. She didn't know what to do as she drove along the high way. She decided to go to Dami's house. Driving straight to his house, she came down only to realize herself turned to leave and He drove in. 

Hi! She said 

Hi! He replied 

Well, I em.. Um.. Never mind 

Would you like to come in? He asked

Yes, I would love that she said

They went in and he offered her a drink which she took gently and quietly. 

Um.. (clears throat) about what you said at the party, do you really mean that? 

Yes, every bit of it, he said. 

OK. I like you too and I don't know where that is going to lead me right now, she said.

Dami took the glass off her hand and place it on the table at the center of the room. He took her into his hands and asked if he could kiss her. She obliged and they kissed passionately. He then asked her between breaths, are you sure about this? Just shut up and kiss me Dami she said. 

The End

December 16, 2020 12:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.