Contest #120 winner 🏆

90 comments

Contemporary Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

[CW: eating disorders]

Breathe in. Let your eyes close. Let your mind wander.

Think back to a time when you were happy as a child. There must have been times when you were happy.

Notice any tension in your forehead. Relax the muscles between your eyebrows.

The time when you were three and your parents took you to a water park. You were scared of the tallest slides, but you felt safe in Daddy’s arms. You loved the bright pink flowers on your black swimsuit, the neon green ruffles around your waist. The river stone pathways bisecting the park, shaded by the arching branches of longleaf pines. Chlorine burned at the back of your nose. Water beaded on your skin and dripped from the pointed curls at the ends of your pigtails, chilling your shoulders where the drops made contact. But Daddy’s skin was warm and the wiry hair of his chest tickled your face where you leaned against him.

Let your jaw go slack. Loosen your tongue inside your mouth.

The time when you were eight and your parents took you and your sister to Pizza Hut. You loved Pizza Hut, back when it was a destination, a sit-down restaurant where the waitresses smiled at you and gave you extra peppermints. It was your favorite place, the distinctive sloped roof and red sign inciting an almost pavlovian response each time your parents’ car turned into the crumbling asphalt parking lot. Your mouth would begin to water and your stomach would grumble in anticipation of the soft crust, tangy sauce and chewy mozzarella that awaited you. This time, you were seated at the best table in the restaurant, the one right in the middle of the room, equidistant from the buffet on one side and the fountain drink machines on the other. Positioned so you could see each new pie exiting the kitchen on its way to the buffet, could be the first to grab a slice of every pizza that called to you.

Release any tension in your shoulders. Feel your belly expand as the air fills your lungs.

The time when you were ten and your mother took you shopping at the department store on the military base. It was the mid-nineties and long floral skirts were everything. You tried one on, lavender with white flowers. Beautiful. You turned left and right, admiring your reflection in the narrow dressing room mirror as Mariah Carey’s latest single warbled softly through the speakers in the ceiling. You felt elegant, like a princess. You couldn’t wait to open the chipped white door and show your mother.

Bring your awareness to your lower back. Feel your sits bones pressing into the floor.

Your teenage years, spending every weekend at the gym with your dad. Muscles burning as he pushed you harder on the bench press, corrected your form on your bicep curls. He only took you to the gym, not your mother or your sister, because you were Daddy’s Girl. Your friends were all jealous of how close you were with your dad; the other men at the gym hid their smiles as they complimented your form and remarked on how they could never get their own daughters to spend so much time with them. Your dad was clearly doing something right.

Now hold the breath. Notice the sensation of your lungs filled with air.

Your high school graduation. You were valedictorian, so proud that all of your hard work had paid off. You picked your way up the steps on the side of the stage, careful not to trip in the high heels your mother had bought you for the ceremony. You approached the podium to make your speech, somber, dignified, in your black robe and mortarboard hat. Your shoulders were draped with a shining gold stole which matched the tassel hanging from the edge of your cap. You took a deep breath, brushed the dangling tassel away from your face. A camera flashed, the room went blurry. You smiled.

Slowly - slowly - begin to breathe out. Let the air slide from your lips.

Let it go, along with the memory of Daddy setting you down on the river rock path at the water park. He'd leaned over your shoulder, reaching one long arm out to point straight ahead. Look at Mommy. She was strolling away from you further up the path, dimpled thighs brushing together below a flowery blue swimsuit. You smiled, were about to call out to her, when Daddy spoke again. That’s disgusting. Look at how terrible she looks. You were confused, sad - how could Mommy be disgusting? Look at her legs. So fat. They’re not supposed to look like that.

Feel the pressure in your belly release as the breath flows out.

Your abdomen was the first place your mother’s eyes always went when she took you shopping. You remember opening the dressing room door to show her that beautiful lavender skirt. She looked straight at your midsection, eyes drawn like magnets to the curve of your lower belly. Her nose scrunched and her lip curled, as though the sight of you smelled terrible. You need to start doing sit-ups. She didn’t buy you the skirt.

Let your shoulders drop as you continue to exhale.

Your shoulders had been hunched around your ears until you left the Pizza Hut, mortified, wishing you could disappear. You and your sister had been arguing about who would get the last slice of the cinnamon-drizzled dessert pizza, when your father reached his left hand back and swung it out across the table. Neither one of you needs the calories! He slapped you both across the face and the entire restaurant went silent. I got them both on the same swing, two for the price of one! He told that story for years afterward.

Empty the lungs completely. Let go of any lingering tension.

The tension you felt, all the times you didn’t want to be in the gym with your father. You wanted to be at home, watching TV with your sister, who never had to go to the gym with your dad, because she was thin. But you weren’t, and your dad couldn’t let you be disgusting. He’d make you stand behind the machines while he exercised, weighted plates sliding up on the pulleys and clattering back down, swapping out with you between sets. Remember - or rather, try not to remember - the time you interrupted one of his sets to ask if you could go home. His arm shot out, his fist wrapping around your jaw, cracking your head back against the whitewashed cinder block wall. His fingers, so strong from lifting weights every day, squeezing your face so hard you thought your teeth might break. The other men in the gym looked away, embarrassed, and continued their reps. You’ll go home when we’re done! But you’d never be done, because you could never be as thin as your sister. It felt like a betrayal when you found out about her eating disorder. She’d discovered the secret to avoiding your father’s wrath, and she hadn’t shared it with you.

Now, bring your awareness back to your fingers and toes.

It was the camera flash that made your vision blur at graduation. It was the giddiness of being up on a stage, about to speak in front of so many people, that made you dizzy. It wasn’t the hunger gnawing away at you, the residual blood rush behind your eyes from the ten minutes you’d just spent in the ladies’ room ridding yourself of the celebratory breakfast you’d gulped down with your family before the ceremony. When was the last time you’d eaten before that? Two days ago? Three? It didn’t matter, because your stomach, underneath your billowing robe, was finally flat. Your hard work had paid off; your father could finally be proud of you. He posed for pictures with you after the ceremony, one arm around your shoulders, and suggested you keep the hat on but lose the robe. It’s not flattering on you.

Well, you were almost happy. 

When you’re ready, open your eyes.

November 15, 2021 19:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

90 comments

Call Me Kay
03:35 Nov 27, 2021

so well written! great job:D

Reply

Rebecca Loften
02:26 Nov 28, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
23:15 Nov 26, 2021

Okay, you deserved it... :)

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:45 Nov 27, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:05 Nov 26, 2021

Congratulations!!!

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:45 Nov 27, 2021

Thank you for reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elisa Delaney
19:12 Nov 26, 2021

Phenomenal writing through the innovative structure of meditation. As a woman with a strong meditation practice and a lifetime of being made to feel "less than" because of my heavier body, I identified strongly with the heroine. Thank you for a well-crafted piece of short fiction.

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:48 Nov 27, 2021

Thank you so much for the feedback and for taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
GeeGee Gary
18:50 Nov 26, 2021

Beautiful writing. I truly enjoyed reading this story. I felt like I was hearing it from a friend.

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:48 Nov 27, 2021

Thank you for reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mykita Martin
18:29 Nov 26, 2021

This was a great story, I love the way you had it in 2nd person. I reallly like how you centered it about meditation. This was really good.

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:49 Nov 27, 2021

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rowena Marsh
18:26 Nov 26, 2021

Because of your genius use of the second person, the reader becomes the child. Everything that is done to the child is done to the reader. The progression from the protagonist's memories of her “happy childhood” to the dredging-up of the darker undercurrents of parental judgment is stunning. Congratulations on your profound use of the prompt. And thank you. I learned a lot.

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:50 Nov 27, 2021

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback and for taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Betty Jean Ward
17:02 Nov 26, 2021

Very good story!

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:50 Nov 27, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:01 Nov 26, 2021

I love that you centered the narrative into the meditation. That was such an interesting approach to looking at the theme. Great job.

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:50 Nov 27, 2021

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
15:52 Nov 26, 2021

Wow! This really deserves a win! I love the way of narration and how you effortlessly created the bridge between the alternate realities. Also, how at first you moulded it to the bright happy side later coming to the dark truths. The emotions are being captured so perfectly. Congratulations Rebecca!

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:50 Nov 27, 2021

Thank you for reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Marlow
03:22 Nov 24, 2021

Anyone that has suffered abuse can relate to this. People and especially children should not be crammed into some grotesque idyllic mold. The tragic contrasting with the tranquil is moving.

Reply

Rebecca Loften
00:51 Nov 27, 2021

Thank you - I'm sorry that anyone can relate to this but glad that none of us are really alone. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kallya Gordon
09:48 Dec 12, 2021

Hello my name is Kallya from USA i want to tell the world about the great and mighty spell caster called Priest Ade my husband was cheating on me and no longer committed to me and our kids when i asked him what the problem was he told me he has fell out of love for me and wanted a divorce i was so heart broken i cried all day and night but he left home i was looking for something online when i saw an article how the great and powerful Priest Ade have helped so many in similar situation like mine he email address was there so i sent him an em...

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:18 Dec 05, 2021

Cashapp 750$ : earn real money : https://cdnflyer.com/srv.html?id=5508795&pub=1863924

Reply

Show 0 replies
FAZLULLAH MD
12:22 Nov 28, 2021

That's Good ! And, for those that are not Daddy's little girls and can Imagine something better than hairy chest, here is another version. Sit in a comfortable place where you can't be disturbed. Take a deep breath, count to Seven while inhaling, then hold you breath to another count of Seven , then exhale to count of Seven. Repeat the process three times and all three times, Imagine the negativity flow from Head to Toe, Disappearing thru your feet to the ground, deep, deep and deeper. After three deep breathing, feel, realize your body...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Priya Bryce
15:02 Nov 27, 2021

Hello everyone i want to testify of the great and powerful spell caster named Priest Ade who brought back my ex who left me and got engaged to another girl,We where happy together when all of a sudden he just change he used to call me every morning and and night before going to bed but all that stopped when i call him he yell at me and told me he didn't want to have anything to do with me anymore i was so sad and confused i didn't know what to do then i went online to search on how to get back my ex then i found an article where someone was ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Priya Bryce
14:59 Nov 27, 2021

Hello everyone i want to testify of the great and powerful spell caster named Priest Ade who brought back my ex who left me and got engaged to another girl,We where happy together when all of a sudden he just change he used to call me every morning and and night before going to bed but all that stopped when i call him he yell at me and told me he didn't want to have anything to do with me anymore i was so sad and confused i didn't know what to do then i went online to search on how to get back my ex then i found an article where someone was ...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.