2 comments

Fiction Mystery Urban Fantasy

Prologue

To an outsider, Lucy’s life looked boring, but Lucy didn’t see it that way. She was a normal person, who just lived her life without all the frills and fancies everyone else chased. Lucy knew what she was doing today, tomorrow, next week, next month, and even next year, and none of what she was doing included any adventure. That was the plan, but life had other plans for her. It all began on her birthday, of all days when she humored a coworker and made a wish. What had possessed her to make that wish? She hadn’t made a wish since she was a child. “Be careful what you wish for,” she thought with a smile.

Six months ago

Even though today was her birthday, it was just another ordinary day for Lucy. She wasn’t even going to stop and buy herself a cupcake. That would lead to questions that Lucy didn’t want to answer. Entering her work, she didn’t stop to wish anyone good morning or ask them how they were. Lucy preferred to get right to work. By keeping herself on task, she managed to make it to lunchtime before she spoke to anyone, and when she did, it was Wynn, her annoying coworker. No matter what Lucy did, Wynn never seemed to get the hint to leave her alone. Wynn stood at Lucy’s desk with a goofy smile on her face, holding a cupcake.

“Make a wish,” Wynn said, offering Lucy the offending confection.

“I don’t have time for this,” Lucy replied. Unfortunately, Wynn wasn’t letting her go until she blew out the flickering candle perched on the cupcake.

“Come on,” whined Wynn, “it’s your birthday! Just blow out the candle.” 

“I will if it gets you to go away and leave me alone,” Lucy said in an irritated tone.

Wynn, oblivious to Lucy’s irritation, happily held out the flaming frosted treat. Lucy took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and wished that everyone would go away and leave her alone. In that moment of desperation, unbeknownst to Lucy, someone or something made her wish come true. Opening her eyes, she was taken aback by what she saw or more importantly, what she didn’t. 

Wynn was no longer standing by her desk. The cupcake was nowhere in sight. Lucy noticed that there was no one else in the office either. Not Alan, who never covered his nose when he sneezed. Nor was Synthia, the older lady, who voiced her opinions even if no one was listening. All that Lucy heard was the wind whistling its senseless tune and the slow hum of computers. Lucy thought about checking the rest of the building to see if she could find anyone, but her stomach growled, reminding her

that it was lunchtime.

As she headed out to get something to eat, she found more of the same. There was not a soul in sight. The street was deserted and felt like a high noon showdown in an old western. Lucy could imagine the town’s population peeking from behind windows, waiting for the sheriff to defeat the desperado. She smiled slightly at the thought, but the moment passed. This wasn’t the time to daydream silly notions; her lunchtime was only thirty minutes long. 

Lucy was hungry and needed to eat. She headed to the nearest convenience store to buy snacks that would tide her over until she left work. After grabbing a soda, a bag of chips, and beef jerky, she dropped a ten-dollar bill on the counter. Just because everyone else had disappeared didn’t mean that she was going to start stealing.

Leaving the convenience store, Lucy made her way back to the office. Lucy knew she should probably be worried about where everyone went, but she still had work to do. That was Lucy, work always came first, no matter what, even before the apparent apocalypse. She would worry when it was time to worry.

Unbeknownst to Lucy, a pair of deep green eyes watched as she reentered her work. The brow above one of those eyes arched as the figure considered her. Everyone has disappeared, yet this woman just goes back to work? She seems unconcerned that she is the only person left. More was needed to make this woman, Lucy, understand. The figure started after Lucy, but then stopped, reconsidering. Maybe he was being too harsh, Perhaps Lucy would learn her lesson all on her own and he wouldn’t be needed this time. Yes, now wasn’t the time to intervene, but to observe. The green-eyed figure then turned and vanished.

Lucy finished her work quickly. Since there was no one left in the building to bother her, it was the best day at work she had ever had. No one stopped to chit-chat or call her with stupid questions. There was no line to use the copier and for once it didn’t jam. 

Lucy hummed a tune as she unlocked her apartment. What a relief it was to walk home from work and not have to worry about accidentally catching someone’s eye. There was always the fear that when it happened the person would try and start up a conversation with her. Lucy popped a frozen dinner into the microwave and went to change her clothes. By the time she changed, her dinner was ready. She grabbed her food and a fork and settled down at the kitchen table. As she ate, Lucy contemplated the day’s events. What could have made everyone disappear? Was she dreaming? Lucy pinched her arm and yelped. Nope, she was awake, so that ruled out dreaming. But what else could it be?

Wait! What was she thinking? Why was she trying to figure this out?! She was finally alone, there was no one left to bother her, and she could live her life in peace. No more need to make excuses why she didn’t want to join her coworkers for dinner. There would be no more forced conversations at the checkout counter when she went grocery shopping. She was free from it all. Lucy was going to enjoy her solitary life.

Three Months Later…

Lucy was tired. She trudged back into her apartment and collapsed on the couch. The solitude was beginning to weigh on her. In the beginning, it was glorious to not have to see or talk to anybody. It was a dream come true! Her routine didn’t waver in the first three months, but today something changed inside of her. There was a feeling inside of her that she had never felt before. Lucy was lonely. She was beginning to miss people, even Wynn. What Lucy wouldn’t give to hear Wynn’s annoying laugh one more time. Lucy even missed hearing the sound of children playing at the park she passed on the way home from work each day. Now when she walked by the park, there was only the wind clanging the swings together in a slow and melancholy clap.

From the top of the next building, the green-eyed man watched as Lucy entered her apartment. Even from a distance, he could tell the loneliness was wearing down on her. Now, it was time to intervene. He had let this go on long enough. He thought Lucy could learn the lesson on her own, but he was wrong. Now it was time to act.

It’s time for us to meet Ms. Lucy. 

Lucy was eating dinner when she heard a single knock on her door. At first, she dismissed it, thinking it was just the building settling, but when the second knock came, a shiver went down her spine. She was the only one left; it had to be a figment of her imagination. Lucy shook her head and continued eating her dinner.

“It's very rude to ignore someone wishing to visit,” the green-eyed man said from behind her.

Lucy screamed and jumped out of her chair. Whirling around, she came face to face with a person for the first time in three months. He looked human, but there was something about his eyes that made Lucy think ancient and powerful at the same time. 

Lucy stood with her mouth agape. She had not seen a soul for the last three months, and now this strange man was in her home. She’d almost have rather he been a bear. Yet, there was something different about him. She couldn’t explain it, but he didn’t feel dangerous. He wasn’t young, but he wasn’t exactly old either. There was a timelessness about him. He could have been anywhere between thirty and sixty.

“I-I thought I was the only person left,” Lucy said to the green-eyed man. “Who are you and why are you here?”

“I exist outside of time and space,” the green-eyed man said as he settled on Lucy’s couch. His rich-warm voice filled the entire room. 

“So, you're an alien,” Lucy said, as she sat down in a chair opposite him. This was her first conversation in three months. she hoped she remembered how to have one.

“No, not an alien,” the man said with a soft chuckle, “but I'm not exactly human either. I'm more of a manifestation. A manifestation of wishes, so to speak.”

“A manifestation of wishes… What does that even mea… wait, you mean that you are the reason that everyone disappeared?” Lucy was incredulous. There was a person, or not a person, sitting here in front of her telling her that wishes were real. She thought about pinching herself again but didn’t want to seem rude in front of her guest.

“Yes, and I couldn't have done it without you.”

“But, I didn't mean that I wanted everyone to disappear. I just wanted to be left alone.” Lucy felt tears beginning to form in the corners of her eyes. This was all her fault. What type of person was she to wish everyone was gone?

“Wishes are tricky things,” the green-eyed man said with a sly smile. “You have to be precise when wishing, otherwise you end up…”

“Like me, alone and in desperate need of human companionship,” Lucy finished in a sorrowful tone.

“You said it, not me.”

“So, what do I have to do to bring people back?” Lucy asked.

“You need to recreate the exact moment of your wish, then if it can be reversed, it will be.”

“What do you mean, if it can be?” 

“Your wish reflects your heart. For the wish to be changed, you must have been changed.” 

Later at the office

“Okay, I was sitting here and Wynn, my coworker, was there holding out the cupcake.”

The green-eyed man stood where Lucy pointed and held out the cupcake, not the same one, of course. This cupcake was a sorry mess. Lucy had never been much of a baker so it took her two or three tries, and it still looked like a small child had baked it, with their eyes closed. It was a good thing she didn’t eat it the first time, Lucy was sure her stomach wouldn’t be able to withstand the mangled cupcake.

“Now, you need to make your wish.”

Lucy closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and said “I wish everyone would come back, I miss them,” and she blew out the candle. Her eyes were still closed as the green-eyed man reached over, laid a hand on her shoulder, and said “Sleep.”

“Hey, Lucy, are you ok?”

Lucy opened her eyes to Wynn, staring at her with a concerned look. 

“I’m fine…” Then it hit Lucy, Wynn was there! There was someone else in the world with her! Lucy jumped up and grabbed Wynn in a bear hug. It was the first bear hug she had ever given and she enjoyed every minute of it.

Wynn extricated herself from Lucy and continued to stare at her with concern.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” Wynn asked once more.

“Never better,” Lucy answered. “Let’s get lunch and I'll tell you all about it.”

As the two walked to lunch, Lucy was smiling and saying hello to everyone she met. She had made a decision. From now on, she was going to do a better job of reaching out to people. It was time to step out of her routine and change her life. The first step was going to lunch with Wynn. Maybe Lucy would even tell the waiter that it was her birthday so the waitstaff could sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to her. She wondered though, where the green-eyed man went. Lucy wanted to thank him for his help.

“You’re welcome,” the green-eyed man whispered as he watched Lucy and Wynn leave. He turned and, once again, faded away into nothingness. His job was complete until he was needed again.

June 01, 2024 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kai Kinney
01:11 Jun 08, 2024

Very nice story! I like the ominous green-eyed man, and that Lucy grows over the course of the story. I also like the use of language -- you have some descriptive lines like "Now when she walked by the park, there was only the wind clanging the swings together in a slow and melancholy clap", and "Wynn, oblivious to Lucy’s irritation, happily held out the flaming frosted treat". I think you could make this story even better by fleshing out the characters more. Even though Lucy is the main character, I don't know that much about her and her m...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie Burges
10:08 Jun 03, 2024

Ooooh I'll be careful what I wish for in future! Thanks for writing Bethany.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.