3 comments

Holiday

Hey Sabine wake up, are you still asleep, look dear Santa has left something for you, a precious one I suppose. Jane was trying to wake her child who was a five year a chubby little girl. “Mom, why didn’t you wake me up when Santa Claus was here? Did he really come on a sledge with his reindeers flying up in the sky from the Northern pole where the sky glows with colourful lights? Oh why didn’t you wake me up, Mom I just wanted to see him and say Hi to him”? “Oh ho , Sabine , Santa told me not to disturb you because you were sleeping like a cute princess “ Sabine giggled , “oh did he see me, Oh God how I wish I could meet him”. “See this kid, he has given a gift for you Look at this “ Sabine looked at the present , “Oh My God, it’s a parakeet Mom it’s so lovely with those blush red colours and green canopy , a tinge of blue , Oh Mom it’s so beautiful. “

“Yes dear, it’s a beautiful bird and you have take care of it because it’s gifted by Santa “. “ Yes ma, I will take care of it, but I just don’t know anything about these birds, how will I take care of her. “

“Sabine, not to worry I will teach you, first lets name her, just think of a nice name for your Parakeet”. “She always blushes when people admire her hence we can call her Blushy “. “Oh that’s a nice name, Hi Blushy “Blushy was a beautiful bird with its extravagant colours. Everyone admired her, she was bit huge but lovely.

Sabine loved that bird but it was known for her. They had cats and dogs at home but a parakeet was a new member into their house. “Mom, what should I feed her, what do they eat, does she have the same diet as Tony and Rabie” “No dear they are non Vegetarians and blushy is a vegan” “ Then what do we feed her veggies “ “ Yes kid , you can feed peppers, those green ones she loves them, some grains and cereals some nuts too”.

So Sabine started feeding the bird with veggies, nuts and grains and cereals. They played together the whole day. Blushy was a very intelligent bird, she had the instincts of imitating human voices. She started imitating some weird language which sounded very cheap and vulgar. Jane was truly worried about the transformation in the bird which was very annoying and embarrassing too. Once it so happened that Jane had hosted a party on birthday and kids were invited for the party, the excited children started teasing the bird and the annoyed Parakeet started abusing in vulgar tones which was very embarrassing.

Jane called Sabine and said,” Sabine Dear, Blushy has learnt all rotten language and its embarrassing especially in front of guests. These parakeets are very intelligent and smart but they should be shown the right way so that they don’t adapt wrong language. “

This incident reminds me of a story told by our neighbour next door, “Hey Sabine do you remember that Indian Aunt Rani Joseph who stayed next door when we were in New York”. She was a good writer and a narrator, I think you might not remember her because you were too young at that time, I will tell you a story of two parrots though sisters lived with two different persons “.

“Let me narrate this story so that you can better understand Blushy”. “In a dense forest lived two parrots a husband and wife; they had two kids, tiny little parrots. One day it so happened that a hunter who had an eye on this parrot family caught all the parrots except one which escaped from his net. “

“One little sister was caught by the hunter”. Sabine interrupted,” Mom, what happened to the other little one”. “I will tell you have patience, the other one was left unattended for many days, it so happened a sage who passed that way found the bird in a dying stage and with compassion he took care of it with lots of love. “ “You know Sabine these sages are noble and God loving people” “I know Mom like the Bishops of the churches right”. “Yes dear, the parrot which was with the sage grew up well in a well groomed way; she learnt the goodness and pious nature of the sage. She showed respect and she was admired for her goodness.”

“Mom,” Sabine yawned it was already 10:00pm and the kid was feeling sleepy. Jane said, “ Sweet heart you are feeling sleepy , I will continue the story tomorrow, “ But Sabine was so excited , she said, “ No Mom I want to know what happened next”. “Fine then , the other little sister which was with the hunter learnt all wrong things, she started saying, Catch them , cut them into pieces, Kill them’ She learnt all the wrong things in the company of the hunter. But the other parrot learnt all the good things and became pious. So the moral of the story is the person is known by the company he keeps”

“You are a good girl isn’t it so you have to teach your Blushy good manners and good verbatim”, “Yes Mom, I will teach Blushy all good manners that you have taught me and I will make her the best birdie in town” “That’s my girl”. Jane hugged Sabine cuddling her in her arms.

Months passed and one day, a competition was announced to portray their pet’s intelligence and smartness. Many participated with their pets, there were even weird animals like racoons, chameleons, monitor lizards along with cats dogs , guinea pigs and koala bears in the competition, but our little Blushy the beautiful Parakeet won the contest with a crown on her head. She was the best and well groomed pet among the lot. Jane and Sabine were so happy that they could transform an ill mannered bird into a gentle and decent one.

December 25, 2020 17:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Llind Kam
05:17 Dec 31, 2020

I loved the idea of a story within a story. That took your story to new heights. But there were many grammatical errors and you do mix up the tenses. K. Lewis has been kind enough to point them out. I will not repeat. I know grammar is difficult. It is not my forte either. But with a little effort you could improve and I assure you it would take your writing to the next level. I would also suggest you to begin new dialouge in the next line. That would be easier on the readers. Your story has a rare kindness to it and that was refreshing. Ke...

Reply

Show 0 replies
K Lewis
23:02 Dec 30, 2020

This was really sweet, and the moral of the story was excellent. I liked the relationship between the mother and kid as well. I've come from the critique circle thingy so some points which stood out to me: - Each paragraph should only deal with one topic. In addition, when the speaker changes, that speaker's speech should be a new paragraph/line. It makes it a lot easier to follow the story if you do that as well. For example, the first few lines would be: "Hey Sabine wake up, are you still asleep, look dear Santa has left something for you,...

Reply

Arathi Raghuveer
16:42 Dec 31, 2020

Thank You K . Lewis and The Girl for your valuable suggestions. Its just that I make a rush in writing the story which leads to grammatical mistakes. I will make sure that these mistakes wont be repeated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.