Noise Compliant

Submitted into Contest #148 in response to: Write a story involving a noise complaint. ... view prompt

0 comments

Horror Mystery Suspense

It was three in the morning when I woke up to my upstairs neighbor dragging something across the floor. Then it sounds like he bumps into something and knocks over some glass. This was every single night this past week and I am really starting to get pissed off. I have hardly gotten any sleep because of him and whatever he is doing. It's really starting to affect my life and work due to lack of sleep.

So, I get up and put on some shoes to go up there and confront him. If nothing changes from this conversation then I will just have to go to the office and make a compliant. As I got dressed, I tried to think of what in the world this man could be up to. Whatever it was, probably wasn't good. We lived in a bad part of town and the cops were pretty much always around. That is exactly why I am bringing my gun with me. Tucking it into the back of my pants and hiding it with my shirt.

Once I am ready, I run up the one flight of stairs and loudly knock on his door. The sound of dragging stopped for a moment and then it sounded like he was rushing around. I knock again and after a minute, he finally answers the door. "Hey man, it's three in the morning. What the hell are you doing making so much noise? It's been going on the for the past week and like everyone else, I need to sleep." I said to him and he shrugged, like it was nothing. "I've been working out. It seems to be the only time I ever have to get in shape." The man said and I scuffed at him. "I have never once seen you leave this building let alone your apartment. I am sure you have plenty of time to work out when the sun is up. You know, when everyone is either awake or at work. So knock it off before I either go to management or call the police. Got it?" I say and he nods, "Alright man, calm down. Tonight's the last night." He says as he turns back to close his door.

At the last moment I see something on his carpet. Looking a bit harder, I start to believe it's blood. "You sure it's just working out? Cause honestly, glass breaking doesn't quiet spell out exercise for me." I say and he looks back at me. "What the hell does that mean? You think I'm doing something illegal here?" I shake my head when says that. "Didn't say you were, but you saying that tells me you have a guilty conscious. That and the blood on your carpet tells me you're up to no good." With that said, he swings the door open and takes a punch at me.

Luckily he misses and I pull out my gun. "I suggest you sit down while I call the police." He doesn't seem to agree with my idea and goes for my weapon. We both go to the floor and wrestle for a moment. The man then pulls out a knife and swings down at my head. This guy has really bad aim, because he misses again but manages to cut my ear. I quickly elbow him across the face and shove him off of me.

When I stand up, I see a young girl pushing open the closet door. The psycho must have shoved her in there when I knocked. "Run down to apartment A3 and lock the door! Do not let anyone in unless it's me or the police." I tell her and she nods, slowly making her way out the door. The man looks like he could kill me now that I have saved the girl from his clutches. "Do you know how long it took for me to find her?! She was perfect and you just had to come along and ruin everything!!" He screams, running at me but honestly this guy is slow. No wonder he goes after women. He can't even stand a fight against another man.

I glare at him and grab him by his hair and slam his face against the wall. Hearing a not so satisfying crack as his nose breaks. Running over to my gun I point it at him. "Don't even get up. What kind of coward goes after innocent women? Now you've probably scared the poor girl. She's gonna need therapy and so much medical treatment because of what you've done to her. I am going to make sure you go away for life so you can rot in a federal prison." I say.

In that moment, the police bust through the door. I quickly put down my weapon and watch as they cuff him. An officer comes in with the girl who must have called the police. I walk over to her and gently take her hands. "How are you feeling?" I ask and she shakes her head. "Better now. Thank you for saving me." She says and I smile at her. "Let's get you to the hospital. My name is Calvin by the way." She smiles, "My name is Jessica." The rest of the night, I sit next to her in the hospital room. Finally able to get a good night rest. I just hope he didn't hurt any other innocent girls.

The next few months are full of court dates and therapy appointments. Jessica and I have gotten pretty close to one another since that night. Most days when we don't have to work, we hang out at her place. Let me tell you, this woman is amazing. I honestly am starting to think I'm developing feelings for her. Jess is such a free soul it seems like. Even after what she just went through, she wants to go out and have fun. She has told me she wants to help other people like her who suffered by the hands of crazy people like that man. Jessica is such a thoughtful person and even though I'm the one trying to make sure she's okay, she always takes care of me.

When we're in court though, she hides inside herself. I mean, who can blame her? This psycho kidnapped her off the street one night and did god knows what to her. We testify together and comfort each other. On the last day of trail, Jessica's lawyer let's us know that there is no way that Phil won't go away for a long time. It was clear from his past he had an issue with women. Once the jury came back, we all looked up at the judge. "The jury finds this man guilty of first degree murder and attempt of murder. His sentence is 60 to life in a federal prison. Court dismissed!" He slams his gavel down and I jump out of my seat. Hugging Jessica and kissing her forehead. "He won't be able to hurt you or anyone else ever again. I promise to always be here to protect you, Jess." She buries her head into my chest and I can feel her smile. "Let's get out of here please. I am so hungry." From then on out, we kept growing closer and soon enough, we were a couple.

Years have gone by and she still has nightmares of that night. Each time she has one, I'm there to hold her and comfort her. Telling her he isn't around anymore. That I promised her that I would never leave her side. By the end of that month we were engaged. Who knew a simple noise complaint would bring us both here. I will always be thankful I found her.

May 29, 2022 18:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.