Contest #205 shortlist ⭐️

23 comments

Sad Contemporary Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

What is it like to fly, I wonder?

The rusted metal of the bridge groans and creaks as cars hurtle over it. Standing by one of the stout lamp posts fixed to the railing, I stare at the gritty concrete, not wanting to look over the edge. The wind howls and moans under the bridge. Pedestrians rush past me, yelling into their phones and cursing as they spill coffee over their starched white shirts. 

Everything is moving, pushing, and pulling against the tides of life. Except for me. 

My skin stretches and cracks over my knuckles as I clutch my purse. I fiddle with its zipper, yanking it this way and that. Oh, why won’t it open? I yank harder, the shiny teeth grating together, but it doesn’t budge. Enough. Just look. 

Taking a deep breath, I step forward and grip the frigid railing of the bridge. The faded blue paint flakes off beneath my touch. Another breath and I’m looking down at the abyss. 

Beneath me, two rivers clash, frothing and foaming as they join in one violent stream. One white, one brown, churning together to form a gray, muddy force of nature, thundering mercilessly down its course. 

What were you thinking when you stood on this bridge two months ago? Did your hands grasp the same coppery railing as mine do now? Did you brush dry paint flakes off your fingers? Did those threadbare magenta sketchers slip down your heels as you leaned over the edge?

I watch a branch fall into the river junction. It’s sucked down in milliseconds, never to be seen again. Like you.

Why did you fly off this bridge? Couldn’t you have stayed on the ground, safe with me? Why did you break free of the ranks of life, marching on toward an inexorable end that was written the day of our creation? 

I come here every week, but these questions always plague me like your ghost. No amount of gazing at the roaring river will answer them. Only deserting the army of life and joining you will. 

The two rivers beckon, pulling me like a fisherman reeling in his line. The wind dies down, and my feet rise. 

Teetering on the knife edge between life and death, the wind in my hair, eyes closed, it almost feels like flying. 

*****

You always wanted to fly. From the moment I first took you outside, swaddled in a hospital blanket against my chest, your hands stretched up to the sky, longing to grasp the white, fluffy blobs that floated high above. As if you were a philosopher pondering the meaning of life, your face would scrunch when the clouds eluded your soft, tiny hands. I always chuckled at that expression, and you’d become even more perplexed. Then, you would hiccup in happiness as I spun you around, your wispy, white hair fluttering. 

As soon as you learned to talk, you chittered away about the sky. About wings, wind, and airplanes. I couldn’t find a sheet of paper for weeks after you learned to make paper planes. I fell off the ladder once, trying to attach them to the ceiling of your pale pink room. 

Soon, you tired of airplanes and pivoted to stars, rockets, and moons. Every Halloween, you dressed up as an astronaut, a space helmet your basket, and the world your oyster as you hopped around from door to door. Again, I braved the ladder and stuck up glow-in-the-dark stars next to the airplanes. At night, curled up on your bed, you’d point your finger up and rattle off constellations, both those real and of your own making. 

When you got older, you stopped looking up and started looking down, down at the magenta sketchers I bought for you at the Salvation Army store. You never complained about how they didn’t match your black outfits, never complained about the empty fridge or the thin walls that couldn’t keep out the shouts next door. You never complained, but you never spoke either. Like the curtain between business and economy class, the door to your room remained closed. 

Then, you got interested in planes again. You began asking about ticket fares, airports, and passports. Even though your feet remained anchored to the ground, in your mind, you were soaring through the air to cities, colleges, and jobs far, far away. To a life that wasn’t your own. 

You always wanted to fly. If only I’d known where to.

*****

I open my eyes.

Cars and people are still whooshing past me. I am still standing on my toes. I stare down at the two rivers, washing over your body, lost somewhere in the murky depths. Your body is invisible, but I still see your glowing eyes, still hear your shy laugh, still feel your hand in mine. 

We were both conscripted to life, you and I. You deserted, and I think about joining you every time I come here. But I will finish out my time because your flight was meant to be solo. 

Slowly, I lower my heels so they touch the cracked concrete of the bridge. The zipper of my purse slides smoothly now as I pull out the paper airplane I made from a blue Post-it note on the bus ride here. It’s not as good as your planes, still hanging in your room. But I’ve gotten better since I make them every week. I’ll need to buy a new pack of Post-it notes soon. 

I hold the little plane over the railing and gently uncurl my hands. It dances and flitters in the breeze, lazily spiraling downwards until disappearing into the roar of the river. I imagine the ways your eyes would glitter if you were here beside me, watching this little plane swirl into the river. 

I close my purse, put one foot forward, and then the other, rejoining the stream of life. 

What is it like to fly, I wonder? Like a paper plane floating on the breeze?

You can tell me when we meet again. 

July 04, 2023 03:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Delbert Griffith
12:56 Jul 06, 2023

One of your best, Sophia. Heartrending, poignant, and utterly beautiful. The lyrical quality of this tale takes my breath away, my friend. Your story came from a magical place, and it has the seeds of genius in it. Nicely done, Sophia. Nicely done indeed. Cheers!

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
15:31 Jul 06, 2023

Thanks so much, my friend! This was one of those stories that just flowed out, from where, I'm not exactly sure. The spirits of creativity were involved for sure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
13:17 Aug 08, 2023

Hi Sophia, Oh my heavens. This was a gut wrenching story. I loved the way you chose its point of view and with every little detail my heart broke just a little bit more. Your characters haunted the page-especially the unnamed child. This get like the hollow cry of a parent’s plea. It was expertly crafted and a well deserved shortlist. Nice work!!

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
13:52 Aug 08, 2023

Thank you so much, Amanda!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Story Time
17:35 Jul 20, 2023

This has a really beautiful, effervescent spirit to it. It has that poetic lilt without being too precious. Really well done.

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
19:22 Jul 20, 2023

Thank you so much, Kevin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
17:36 Jul 18, 2023

Fine work here. Congrats.

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
20:54 Jul 18, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
15:21 Jul 20, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
09:56 Jul 16, 2023

This is such a heart breaking story, a mother trying to carry on after her child's death, but it was beautifully written too. I love how you used the theme of flying throughout the story, and how the mother tries to understand how it relates to the suicide. - When you got older, you stopped looking up and started looking down, down at the magenta sketchers I bought for you at the Salvation Army store. - I really like this line, and how succinctly it marks a turn from the hope of raising a baby/child to life becoming more difficult and com...

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
11:52 Jul 16, 2023

Thanks so much Kelsey! The theme of flying originally came up when I thought of jumping as flying, and then I just kind of went with it as a frame for the entire story. I'm glad it all worked out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:29 Jul 15, 2023

Tender and sad. What a tragedy to cope with, and so many questions without answers. I like the way things are gradually introduced - first, that someone jumped, and second, that it was their child. That created a great emotional effect, and hit right in the gut. As far as the ritual goes, something like this will result in endless questions, so the parent literally retracing the footsteps works very well here - even though it takes them right to the edge. We get a fast look at their life together and we cover a lot of history, but it never...

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
09:42 Jul 16, 2023

Yeah, everyone struggles with disillusionment unfortunately. As a kid, you think the possibilities are endless, and then you grow up and reality hits hard. Sometimes you can't find hope again. Thank you for the feedback and the congrats!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rhea Sethi
23:50 Jul 14, 2023

Hey congratulations on the shortlist!!! Well deserved!!

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
06:09 Jul 15, 2023

Thanks! Still in shock.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
17:48 Jul 14, 2023

So beautifully done, Sophia! The reveal of this being a mother mourning her child's suicide was unexpected and fresh and so artfully done. I really loved the themes woven throughout of flight, space, sky, and even the militaristic language you use. It gives the whole thing a strong sense of unity. Favorite lines: "Why did you break free of the ranks of life, marching on toward an inexorable end that was written the day of our creation?" "We were both conscripted to life, you and I. You deserted, and I think about joining you every time I co...

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
18:01 Jul 14, 2023

Ah, thank you so much, Aeris! This means a lot, especially coming from you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:34 Jul 14, 2023

Such a beautiful sad story deserved to be recognized. Congrats on the shortlist.

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
17:35 Jul 14, 2023

Thanks so much, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma D
04:39 Jul 13, 2023

Wow! The writing flows in such a lyrical, gorgeous way, and it's so descriptive that it just played out in my mind easily. I love it! Truly admirable, beautiful writing!

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
04:56 Jul 13, 2023

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rhea Sethi
00:03 Jul 13, 2023

Oh this is a beautiful story. I really liked the vivid and colourful descriptions. Such as that one line "Like the curtain between business and economy class, the door to your room remained closed." Wow. I'm new at Reedsy, but I've been reading so many beautiful and heart-touching stories. This is definitely one of them.

Reply

Sophia Gavasheli
04:58 Jul 13, 2023

Thanks so much for the feedback and welcome to Reedsy! It can feel like a big place, but just keep writing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.