The Possession

Submitted into Contest #115 in response to: Write a story where a device goes haywire.... view prompt

4 comments

Funny Horror Teens & Young Adult

            Gabby opened the camera app and switched it to selfie mode. She grinned and threw up a peace sign near her eyes, but as she watched the screen, her face distorted and dark liquid dripped down her face. She rolled her eyes, which appeared to be full of blood, and tossed the phone across her bed.

            The phone vibrated. A gif of a laughing witch took over the screen, and cackling came over the phone’s speakers at full volume. Gabby groaned even louder than the phone. “Would you please cut that out?” she asked.

            The screen froze, and the gif changed to one of a man shaking his head mischievously. Gabby frowned and picked it up, ignoring the overheated metal and the way it vibrated in her hand, as if trying to shake her off. “This is so stupid,” she muttered, and the phone blared several ringtones at once.

            “This is what I get for deleting the VPN, I guess,” Gabby continued. She went over to her dresser and grabbed a scarf, which she wrapped around the edges of the phone to insulate her from the still-increasing heat. “All my friends can use that site to watch stuff, but when I want to download a movie, I end up downloading a demon instead.” She shook her phone, and the apps on her homescreen bounced against its edges. “You know full that I wanted the movie when I clicked on that link!”

            The laughing witch gif popped up again, and Gabby rolled her eyes again and held down the power button. The gif became distorted, becoming longer and sharper at the edges, and the witch’s eyes deepened into black voids. A clawed hand scraped against the screen, leaving a scratch on the inside before the screen went dark.

            Gabby pursed her lips together and stared at the blank phone in her hand. This looked like a problem that she wouldn’t be able to fix on her own, but it was worth a shot. She held down the power button and watched the black screen light up white. Then dark red appeared to seep from the top of the screen, running down its inside in steady, thin rivulets. Gabby dragged one finger across the screen, and though it came away clean, the image on the other side of the screen smeared. If she looked closely, she could see some of her fingerprint in the virtual blood.

            “Hey, Mom?” Gabby yelled.

            Her mom shouted something in response, but it was muffled by distance. Gabby sighed and opened her door, taking the phone with her. She went to the top of the stairs and yelled, “Mom!”

            “In the laundry room!” her mom yelled back.

            Gabby walked down the stairs toward the laundry room, where her mom was piling dry clothes into a laundry basket. “While you’re here, fold these socks,” Her mom tossed Gabby a plain white crew sock. She caught it and put her phone down one the counter. She dug through the unfolded pile, looking for its mate.

            “Did you need something?” her mom asked. She lifted a polo shirt to eye level and scrutinized it for a moment before turning it right-side out.

            “My phone’s messed up,” Gabby muttered, lining two black socks against each other and scowling at the two different shades of black.

            Her mom raised an eyebrow. “Messed up how?”

            Gabby picked up the scarf-wrapped phone and turned its screen to face her mom. The phone had turned back on, and dark red liquid sloshed against the bottom of the screen. Behind that, the screen asking for her passcode was active.

            Her mom’s other eyebrow went up. “What did you do?”

            “Nothing! It’s not like it’s my fault!”

            The phone vibrated, and someone unseen began typing in different passcodes, all of which were wrong.

            “Hey! Cut that out!” Gabby shook the phone, making the red liquid slosh around, and turned it off. It turned itself back on and started trying random passcodes again. “Ugh!” Gabby held the power button down long enough to shut the phone down all the way. She huffed and looked back at her mom.

            Her mom looked unimpressed. “Gabrielle, how did this happen?”

            “I didn’t mean to! It just popped up! I didn’t mean to click on it!”

            “Click on what?”

            Gabby sighed. “I was trying to watch a Halloween movie online, and I clicked on a pop-up by mistake. And I couldn’t stop it in time, and now there’s a demon in my phone.”

            Gabby’s mom pursed her lips. “You downloaded a demon.”

            “I didn’t mean to!”

            “Gabrielle, what were you thinking? You’re fifteen years old, you should know better than to download strange things on the internet! This isn’t—we’re going to have to go get this fixed!”

            “I didn’t mean to!” Gabby insisted again. “Really—”

            “Let’s go,” her mom said, abandoning her laundry basket and going to the door. “Gabby, I am so disappointed in you!”

            Gabby grabbed her phone and followed her mom to the car. She kept her head low and got into the backseat, slumping against the window and staring mournfully out at the road. Her mom continued her lecture as she started the car and began pulling out.

            “So irresponsible—these phones aren’t cheap, you know! Is your seatbelt buckled? Gabby, I’m going to talk to your father about this when he gets home.”

            Gabby slouched further into her seat.

            They arrived at the church and climbed out of the car in stiff silence, the slam of the closing doors echoing through the empty parking lot against red-brick buildings. Gabby followed her mom past the church to its office, a smaller building with a flowerbed and empty bird bath outside. Her mom rang the doorbell, and they waited.

            After a few moments, the door opened, and Miss Patricia the church secretary greeted the with a smile. “Well, hi! What brings you two here today?”

            “Hi, Patricia. Sorry to bother you, but,” Gabby’s mom sighed. “We need an exorcism for Gabby’s phone.”

            Miss Patricia raised her eyebrows, and her mouth formed a tiny “o” as she looked over at Gabby. “Oh, I see.” She stepped aside to invite the pair in. “I’ll go get Father, he can see to your in a jiffy.” She smiled gently at Gabby and walked away.

            “If this happens again,” Gabby’s mom said, “you’ll be going without a phone for at least a week before we come here.”

            “Thanks, mom.”

            “You need to be more careful, Gabby.”

            “Well, what do we have here?” The parish priest came into the room and looked from Gabby’s mom to Gabby. “Patricia said you got your phone possessed?”

            Gabby held down the power button and turned the phone on. The logo appeared rotted, and tiny digital flies buzzed around the activation screen. When the screen asking for her passcode came up, a figure appeared and slammed into the screen, unholy shrieks emanating from the phone’s speaker. It had long, straggly hair and an emaciated frame that repeatedly hit the glass with a loud crack.

            The priest clicked his tongue. “That’s a nasty one all right.” He gently took the phone from Gabby’s hand, scarf and all. “If it hasn’t been in here long, though, it shouldn’t be too hard to get out.” He turned to Patricia, who came forward holding a bowl. He nodded and unwrapped the heated phone, muttering words over it. Gabby’s entire music library played from the phone at once. The priest switched hands and spoke some more. The figure in the phone pounded on the screen hard enough that the passcode buttons cracked and fell away, and the phone vibrated.

            Finally, the priest pressed the phone into the bowl, which had been filled with holy water. The phone rang one last time and died. The priest held it under the water for a while longer before taking it back out and wiping it with the scarf. “That should have fixed your problem,” he said, handing the phone back to Gabby.

            She pressed the power button. Nothing happened. “I think it’s waterlogged.”

            “When we get back home,” her mom said, “you can put it in rice.”

October 16, 2021 02:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Nathan Pollar
15:11 Mar 04, 2023

I use a very popular service that I downloaded on my phone without any problems at this [url=https://veepn.com/vpn-apps/vpn-for-ios/]https://veepn.com/vpn-apps/vpn-for-ios/[/url] site. This service has a free trial. There are no ads, it has no traffic limit. You will also enjoy a huge number of countries to choose from. It is very important that this VPN service does not share your personal data with third parties.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Afsheen Ashrain
03:08 Oct 23, 2021

' you can put it in rice ' HAH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kendall Defoe
00:54 Oct 22, 2021

I loved this movie of the week you created! And why do I think this might happen one day? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Fox
20:29 Oct 20, 2021

This was a great concept and very funny!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.