0 comments

African American Christian Contemporary

Logic and Emotions

Making decisions is complicated, and you must use logic and emotions to make the best decision. Emotions control 80 percent of your choices, while logic counts for only 20 percent. This flawed process has been around forever.

The Bible Tells us that God and Jesus were angered by what people did on earth. It stated that emotions and feelings could warp our senses of right and wrong or change them so innocent people get hurt. Strong emotions were also in the Bible. The story of Cain and Abel where Cain's jealousy over God's favor towards Abel's true sacrifice led Cain to murder Abel. There are many other stories about jealousy from that time.

The Slave trade has been around worldwide since ancient times. The slave trade also took Slavs, Iranians, German, Celtic, and Romance peoples. The causes of the slave trade due to a significant labor shortage available.

The transatlantic slave trade is the most well-known, they took women and children, but no men were wanted as enslaved people for labor and lineage but not men and sold into slavery. The slave trade sold 40 million people enslaved around the world. Upwards of 12 million enslaved people were taken from the continent of Africa. Enslaved people were punished by whipping, shackling, hanging, beating, burning, mutilation, branding, rape, and imprisonment. There was punishment for disobedience or perceived infractions, but sometimes punishment was to re-assert the dominance of the master over the enslaved person. The African Americans suffered greatly, and they continue to have issues today.

The Doctrine of Discovery, written in 1493 by Pope Alexander VI, started a lifetime of issues for the indigenous people. The Bull stated that any land not inhabited by Christians could be "discovered," claimed, and exploited by Christian rulers. The Catholic and Christian faith should be holy, increased, and spread. And those barbarous nations be overthrown and brought to the religion itself."

Native Americans were vulnerable during the colonial era because they had never had European diseases like smallpox. Hence, they had no immunity to the disease. European settlers brought these new diseases with them when they settled, and the illnesses decimated the Native Americans by some estimates killing as much as 90 percent of their population.

The natives also had to deal with the slave trade. The Native Americans who allied with the losing side were indentured or enslaved, and the Europeans sold them into slavery in places like Canada. In the 19th century, the confinement and extermination of the native people got worse. In AD1537, Pope Paul III issued a decree, "Sublimus Deus," opposing the enslavement of indigenous peoples and calling them "true men."

The atrocities continued due to the Indian Removal Act of 1830 from 1830 to 1840. the U.S. Army Forced 100,000 Eastern Woodland Indians in exchange for territory west of the Mississippi. They included: Choctaw, Creek, Cherokee, and others. The walk became known as the Trail of Tears; the route was 5,045 miles, and 15,000 died during the forced walk. Many Choctaws died from exposure, malnutrition, exhaustion, and disease.

The Dakota War of 1862 ended with the surrender of the Dakota warriors; 2000 surrendered. The evidence was sparse, the tribunal was biased, the defendants were unrepresented in unfamiliar proceedings conducted in a foreign language, and authority for having the tribunal was lacking. The outcome was that instead of two who met the criteria for hanging, the requirements changed to make the total 28 men.

Before the Nazi's rise to power, Jewish history in Germany had alternating periods of success and victimization. Nazi rule lasted from January 30, 1933, to May 2, 1945, and the Jews in Germany suffered extensively. The "Shoah," the Hebrew word for "catastrophe," started with state-encouraged discrimination and prosecution and led to a policy of industrialized mass murder.

Anti-Semitic feelings in the high military and civil society ranks paved the way for Hitler's rise as the Nazi Party's leader. As the Chancellor of the Third Reich, at their first meeting, a 25-point plan for the segregation and complete civil, political, and legal disenfranchisement of the Jewish people.

The plan led to the murder of six million European Jews by the Nazi German regime. Perpetrators interned Jews in overcrowded ghettos, concentration camps, and forced labor camps, where many died from starvation, disease, and other inhumane conditions. The Nazi German regime held mass shootings of civilians on a large scale. These units would enter a town, round up the Jewish civilians, and then take the Jewish residents to the city's outskirts. Next, they would force them to dig a mass grave or take them to mass graves prepared in advance. Finally, German forces or local auxiliary units would shoot the men, women, and children into these pits.

Most Jews deported to killing centers were gassed. The healthy ones did forced labor. Life in the ghettos was miserable and dangerous. There was little food and limited sanitation or medical care. Hundreds of thousands died of starvation, rampant disease, extreme exposure, and exhaustion from forced labor. Germans also murdered the imprisoned Jews through brutal beatings, torture, random shootings, and other forms of violence.

Many people were responsible for carrying out the Holocaust and the Final Solution. At the highest level, Adolf Hitler inspired, ordered, approved, and supported the genocide of Europe's Jews. However, Hitler did not act alone. Nor did he lay out an exact plan for implementing the Final Solution. Other Nazi leaders were the ones who directly coordinated, planned, and executed the mass murder.

After the Pearl Harbor attack, the government jailed more than 1,2000 Japanese community leaders and froze their accounts in U.S. branches of Japanese banks. On March 31, 1942, Japanese Americans along the West Coast had to report to control stations and register the names of all family members. They were informed when told when and where to report for removal to an internment camp.

On February 19, 1942, Executive Order 9066 was signed; this gave the U.S. military the authority to exclude persons from designated areas. The word Japanese did not appear in the order; it was clear that Japanese Americans were the initiative's focus. On March 18, 1942, the federal War Relocation Authority (WRA) took all Japanese people into custody, surrounded them with troops, prevented them from buying land, and returned them to their former homes at the close of the war."

Some Euro-Americans took advantage of the situation and offered low prices for their possessions, businesses, and homes worth thousands of dollars sold for much less. The U.S. Army offered to buy their cars when they refused; the Army took them for the war. Their living quarters were essential; they produced food and clothing for others. They also worked to keep the local farms and factories going.

It was discovered that race prejudice, war hysteria, and a failure of political leadership as the underlying causes of the government's internment program. In 1988 the U.S. Congress passed the Civil Liberties act, which awarded more than 80,000 Japanese Americans $20,000 each to compensate them for their ordeal. Congress also formally apologized for the government's policy toward Japanese Americans.

The world is in turmoil again, which has made everything challenging for everyone, the war in Ukraine, our conflicts here at home, and the pandemic. No fallacy fits what is happening in the world and our country today. Therefore, I have attached a URL to a page that lists some of them. This list is a bit easier to understand.

https://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/rhetological-fallacies/

November 18, 2022 22:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.