2 comments

Fiction

1st January, 2018 - Learn to play the violin

"If only resolutions on paper materialised right away," thought Mrinalini, as she read this diary entry on 31st December, 2018. She had attended a beginners' violin session where she had held a violin for the very first time. But holding a violin the right way, so that you don't injure yourself, is far from easy. Mrinalini had become aware of muscles in her neck and back that were slightly strained by the end of the two hour long session! Furthermore, standing in a room with lots of mirrors that reflected her every move had been a bit unnerving. They were there for her benefit, to help her correct her posture, but still it had made her feel awkward. Leaving aside the discomfort, it had been a joy to hear the sound of the violin. She had been among 10 other adults who were hopeful of playing endless number of tunes on the violin, someday. As for that day, they had learnt and performed a basic tune, in harmony, as a group. "Not that harmonious, but nevertheless," thought Mrinlini. She had signed up for the online classes that the music school offered, so it was now up to her to use the resources and practise. She had gone through the first few lessons diligently. The very first lesson had been about selecting a violin. She had spent hours going through music shop websites, had visited two to three shops along with her husband and child, and had finally decided to buy a second hand Stentor student violin. The music shop where she had purchased the violin had so many other instruments, and by far the most cheerful staff members. It had been strangely liberating walking out of the store with the violin in its case. And yet, after all that, she had not practiced much. Why? Well, she was a working mum and that meant little time each day for herself. But why hadn't she used that little amount of time to practise? "Maybe I was just too exhausted. It's been quite a mixed year with way to many low points. The lows are so vivid in my memory. I feel like I'm experiencing them all over again. Why are the cheerful memories not as memorable? They used to be, a long time ago." But then she was trying to compare a child's optimism with an adult's skepticism, which is a futile exercise. Mrinalini tried to focus on other cheerful memories of the year but had to pause as her two year old child was trying to climb into her lap. "Back to work in two days and back to nursery for you little one," thought Mrinalini with a sigh.


1st January, 2019 - Learn to play the violin

"Well, I at least went through some of those online exercises," thought Mrinalini as she scribbled in her 'on and off' diary on 31st December, 2019. But she still couldn't play a tune on the violin. She could say, in all honesty, that the violin and bow were well looked after. She rosined the bow whenever she took it out of the violin case, which was maybe once in two or three months. She made sure that the violin was in tune by using a tuning app. The violin and bow then went back into the case that sat hidden inside the cupboard in the bedroom. Seeking additional motivation, a few weeks ago she had read a book about her great grand uncle who had been a renowned musicologist in his time. He had learnt to play the flute and the violin. It had been a comforting experience reading about him in the library. Getting access to the library had been quite a task but the end result had been worth the effort. "So, why am I not practicing regularly? I am aware of a relative who devoted his life to music, I am paying for those online classes that I can refer to anytime but am still not motivated to practise. I can pay extra for a one-to-one session with a tutor but haven't done that yet. The monthly fee is going towards a good cause and the tutors can continue teaching online. But I don't think I am progressing at all. So, am I wasting my money on these sessions?" She felt guilty, tired, and then her mind wandered off on to other things. The clock ticked away and 2020 arrived.


1st January, 2020 - Learn to play the violin

By February, Mrinalini had cancelled her subscription with the online violin tutoring service.


31st December, 2020 - I can finally play the open strings without making a scratchy sound. I am getting better at scales. I learnt to play my first tune on the violin! I have been watching free online tutorials developed by so many talented tutors, both young and old. I recently started going through beginners' violin textbooks. These have helped me familiarise myself with some of the basics and I try to practise for at least 10 minutes everyday. I have placed my violin case in a corner of my bedroom where I can see it every time I enter the room. Working from home all the time has helped me build in the 10 minutes practise routine during my lunch break. I can also practise during the weekends as my little one is now old enough not to snatch the violin out of my hands. Instead she listens and tells me where I can improve. Last but not the least, I want to learn more about my great grand uncle and will try to find out where I can get some of the books that he had written. It will be a treat if there are any audio files!



1st January, 2021 - Keep practicing and be brave enough to perform a few tunes in front of friends and family.

With a smile on her lips Mrinalini closed her diary and then reached out for her violin.

January 05, 2021 06:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Colin Devonshire
04:16 Jan 14, 2021

Loved it. Well done, I never tried the violin, maybe it is time to try!

Reply

15:29 Jan 19, 2021

Thank you Colin! Yes, it is worth the effort :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.