Never Forget Me

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Write about a child witnessing a major historical event.... view prompt

2 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama Sad

Irma: My husband brought our kids to the office that he works at to give them a tour of the building. The very last time I was able to Hug and Kiss them goodbyes was just hard. No one could've predicted this. If we could, This wouldn't have happened. You know?


Reporter: How did you know about this disaster?


Irma: I was making myself some coffee so I could wake myself up a little. I turned on the news, like I do every morning. The news comes on, and I see a large hole on the side of one of the towers. A lot of smoke covers the building. I was scared, worried, anxious, I frantically grabbed the house phone and dialed my husband's office phone. My youngest son answers. I asked him, where his father is. His little voice, I'll never forget his words, he said 'Daddy said to tell you that he loves you and will be with you always' I was shocked, and confused. 'Hun, please put your father on the phone' he just says in the saddest tone in his voice 'he is trapped under falling fire and he isn't responding to me or sis'


Reporter: What did you say to your kids?


Irma: I told them that help was on the way and everything was going to be fine. I advised them to stay on the phone with me. I just wanted to listen to their voices for as long as possible. One thing that hit me hard was the detail they give me on what's happening around them. I could only imagine what they would've been thinking.


Reporter: What was happening around them? What did your kids tell you?


Irma: (Looking down at her hands, trying to hold back tears) They said that they saw people falling from the floors above them. (brief pause) That there was people jumping off of the building.

Then I just broke down. I remember thinking to myself, theres no way this could get worse. I knew i should've thought positively, because seconds after thinking that, the second plane crashed into the southern building. I could hear my kids heavy breathing through the phone. (grabs tissue and wipes away tears) I just told them to look out through a window that has no smoke, nothing chaotic, just find a way to slightly open the window to let some fresh air in.


Reporter: How old were your kids?


Irma: My youngest son is 8 years old, my oldest daughter is 14. I just wanted to be there for them. I want to be there every last second, every last moment with them. I was hoping they would be more successful than I could be. I left the television on the entire time. I told the kids to stay on the phone. My daughter broke the window a little to get some air, like i advised her to. 'Momma, I'm so happy to hear your beautiful voice, Momma, I l-' I heard crashing on their end of the phone. I repeatedly called their names to see if they were still doing okay. I was relieved that it wasn't the building that they were in. I was scared out of my mind. I stayed on the phone with them the entire time. We were on the phone for what seemed to be 5 minutes, but it was more than an hour. Before the southern tower collapsed fell of course. I asked her if I could talk to her brother for a while. ...


Reporter: what happened?


Irma: (hysterical, in tears) My youngest son suffocated from taking in too much smoke, he was on the ground. He was just a boy. (tries to blow nose into tissue) She told me that he doesn't have a pulse, or if he's even breathing. I told her to hug her little brother for me, and say your prayers. That's as much as we can do. I told her, 'Just know your momma and daddy loves you more than everything to me. You keep praying to the good Lord himself. Think of all the good things you have in life. Count your prayers. Enjoy every moment you have now. It may seem hard in this condition, but you just got to look up and pray.'

Shortly after I said that, there was silence, I could hear her faint and calm voice on the other end of the phone. Just a whisper in the phone, to others, you could hardly hear her, but I never forgot what she whispered to me. Just three words. 'Never forget me'

...

Then the phone disconnects.

I look up at the screen, the northern tower collapses. I let out a scream. I can't do anything about it. I lost my family. I lost my babies, I couldn't take it. My whole damn family was gone.. I was angry, I was confused, I was sad. So many confusing emotions.

It took me 3 months to finally realize that they were okay. Knowing that God has them now just puts a smile on my face. I feel that my kids, my husband are my guardian angels, forever cheering me on no matter what path I'll take. Everyday, I think about them. I saved their last calls on a tape. If I wanted to hear their voices again, I could always listen to them. I look up at the window all the time and say out loud, "I will never forget you"


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Everyone knows about the terrorist attack that happened in September 11th, 2001. A lot of brave and innocent souls were lost on that day. There were 4 planes that were hijacked. Two of them hit the World Trade Center. One hit the Pentagon. And the other was heading to the capitol building, but brave souls on that plane directed the plane to the courtyard of the building, and avoid more trauma. No one ever will forget the people who were sacrificed that day, This story isn't a real story. But It's a prime example on what these people have suffered through on this disastrous morning.

February 06, 2021 20:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

James Morris
21:18 Feb 17, 2021

I remember that day well. You did a good job depicting what one might have gone through that morning. You might want to double-check some of the grammatical errors. But your story was well told.

Reply

Melina Verhoff
12:24 Feb 19, 2021

On it! I will check the grammar now. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.