0 comments

Crime Fiction Friendship

THUD," darn, I can't see a thing !,how am I supposed to spend rest of the night like this!!, darn this snow storm !!." Says a grumpy Mary, tripping over the little furniture she had. It's a miracle that her cabin remains safe and intact in this kind of nasty frosty weather. Alas,nothing matters to her, with the electricity going BOOM!, with two of her dim lamps gone poof!. And her annoyingly screeching radio gone off; irritating to listen to, however; the only source that helps her stay informed of the chaos going on in the world, since she is all alone.

Mary doesn't fear the storms or darkness,it's something she grew used ,she sits by the small creaky square window, and stares at the white cotton clouds send its heavenly white flakes of snow down to earth. With a delightful cup of hot cocoa in one hand and a thick bind of old folk stories collected in one book in the other hand, along with her trusty, furry companion. Albert,the mighty husky that can easily tower the young adult, a dog she can easily ride on. So Why is she dreading this time.

As Mary desperately tries to search for a light, Albert nuzzles and rubs his face on the crown of Mary's head trying to win her attention. Mary a little ticked off and irritated, ready to scold him, turns around only to feel dumb and stupid. When Albert, with his obnoxiously luminous blue eyes, hands her a candle and a matchbox,

" ohh!,Albert,oh my sweet Alberto!!,what could I possibly do without you!, always there to save me, from my silly stupidity!!." Says Mary while lightening her tiny wooden cabin with bunch of candles; then continues to rant,

" ahhh, much better!, WHAT WAS I EVEN DOING IN THE DARK, OH LORD GUIDE THIS FOOLISH SUBJECT OF YOURS TO THE LIGHT, AND You Albert! deserve a snack!!. Hahbut Albert you heard the guy on the radio earlier before the blackout right!. I'm just saying darling that we are all alone with a criminal running free!, and we have got no backup or help!."

Albert Sensing his owner in stress, bites onto her clothes, tries to guide her somewhere. Mary confused, lets her dog lead, until she steps on a very creaky squeaky wooden floor, she steps on it few times absent-mindedly, and it suddenly hits her, she crouches down and starts to pull the flooring, and with a loud thud, the flooring comes off. "Albert you really deserve all the snacks in the world!, I didnt think I would ever have a reason to take these babies out again, but here I am ready shoot and noot!." Says Mary mischievously as she walks over to the fireplace and intiates the process of cleaning and polishing her 'welbey revolvers' with at most care, " oh!, my beloved Nancy and Fancy I can finally use you both with the excuse of defending myself from a murder,Hahahaha!. OH YES WITH YOU BESIDE ME , I FEEL SO POWERFUL!!. TASTE MY BABIES WRATH YOU RAT, LET ME SHOW YOU A SPECTACULAR PREFORMANCE!!." Roars Mary, her deep thundering voice echoes through the cabin, making Albert roll his eyes in disinterest, receiving that kind of reaction, Mary jumps on her Albert and squishes the poor life out of him, the poor dog could only growl in shock, then cuddle his lonely partner, who hasn't seen or spoken to her kind for the last five years. Who is he stop her pure excitement of meeting the unknown threat.


Mary and Albert jolt awake from the sudden slamming on the door of their tiny hidden cabin. Mary couldn't function properly, " oh Albert, it must be the Norwegian ghosts lurking about, you know the ones I have read about yesterday. There is no way a human in its RIGHT MIND AND FLESH WOULD BE ABLE TO COME THIS FAR, THAT THING IS NO HUMAN!,HEED MY WORDS BOY, what I mean to say is, even your relatives; the wolves wouldn't be able to stand against this type of harsh weather right!?," " woof!."

"See, I knew you would agree!!, now lets ignore it and re--," (SLAAM) again they hear the desperate; pleading thuds of the door, " oh boy!, that mother trucker will end up breaking my house and kill us all." Loading her revolvers, Mary sneaks a peak from the peeping hole and sees no one, not even a lurking shadow, and just as she is about turn around and spit some useless witty words to her dog, a loud ' PLEASE LET ME INNN!!!!!! OL' GRANDMA, HAVE SOME MERCY ON THIS HOMELESS DYING YOUNG HANDSOME MAN!!!,' echoes its way from her ears to her brains, giving her a sudden rush of adrenaline, sending shivers down to her spine. Mary turns her heels towards the door, unlocks it and starts to pull it with all her might. After trying while assuring the freezing stranger that she is coming, Mary finally opens the door,and with that, the howling wind invites itself in, by throwing and spinning the girl to the other side of the cabin, puts off all their little source of light and warmth, messes everything like its the king of destruction and chaos, losing her footing, Mary shouts for Albert to quickly drag in the frozen human popsicle inside.

Albert the smart dog he is barks back in response and holds the frozen lump situated at the door, grabs him by the hood and swiftly throws him in, then runs over to his owner and pushes the door close. After successfully shutting it, both of them sigh and slide down , letting the darkness of the room consume them, until they hear coughs and heavy breathing from the other corner of the room, both startled at the sudden foreign voice get back on their feet and stride towards the freezing body.

 " Albert hurry the matchstick,",

" Albert get me some dry logs for the fire place."

" Albert stay with him, i will bring some clothes and blankets." Mary runs through the tiny cabin in search for clothes to warm the man up; more wood to heaten up the room, first aid kit, meanwhile Albert gives all the warmth he can give with his fur, snuggling and cuddling the man mercilessly.

After few minutes of running around, Mary quickly hovers over the young man, starts to strip him from his wet dirty clothes. "Now Albert, I don't want you having any weird thoughts, I'm doing this purely to help him, not because I haven't felt what another human flesh feels like in forever!!!, so don't get any wrong ideas you pervert mutt." Says Mary, unable to hide the smugness while aimlessly touching the naked skin of the poor man laying in front of her. As she reaches to his torso, Mary's eyes glint with mischief as she gets a hold of his tight refined abs, then pinchs the squares on his body. The said man jolts up with a deafening

' OUCCH!!'. Satisfied with her crime,Mary breaks the silence, " yo bruh, for a homeless person, you've got a very, nice lean muscular body, oh not mention your clothes are pretty fancy too. Care explaining."

The male looks at her still unable to see her features,then looks down at himself. Needles to say, shocked he backs off blushing, and cries out loud, " WAOH!, look here grandma as much as I'm thankful for you saving me, I have to draw a line here, IM NOT INTO OLD WOMEN!!!!" , which earns him a slap on the head.

" A Grandma!!!, yo sucker, do you not know how to differentiate between an ol lady and a young awesome, cool woman!!!, yo blind?!."

Says Mary, as she gets hold of the man's face between her tiny manly hands and squishes him, " now tell me, do I still look like a grandma?!," The young man takes a good look at the person infront of him, then proceeds to copy the girl's action, by slapping both his bony, huge hands against her soft cheeks. "......,hmmm, interesting you definitely sounded like an evil grandma while ago, not to mention your clothes (looks her up and down), but hey! you smell like babies!!!,....hmm,kinda familiar."

"........ Son of a gun,you're gonna be wearing the same ol' grandma clothes to stay alive and warm , and you haven't answered my question yet, just like I saved you, i can get rid of you, so do you mind dude?." Says Mary throwing the article of clothes upon the man, while holding the gun in the other hand. The man looks at her, a little scared of the sudden declare and a weapon directed to his forehead, he gulps and quickly sheds his remaining cold wet clothes and embraces the newly acquired wooly clothes.

"Um..., let me start over!, hi, the name is Robert Hubert. I'm 23 years old, ummm..,oh! saying I am homeless,that was a lie, I said that so you can let me in, sorry...please let me stay,hmm."

"........ yea sure; welcome aboard fam!, I was joking about kicking you, I'm not energetic enough to open that damn door again. Oh also they call me Mary."

"OK then...Mary, thank you for having me."

Mary offers him a grin, then hands him a steaming bowel of soup to drink and fill his growling insides.

"So Robby, ma boi did you by any chance come across this news?."

"What news?."

"It's about a murder running wild and free, i heard it in a radio this morning before the power cutting of--,"

"YOU HAVE...ELECTRICITY...BRUH....,thats shocking."

" Well, did u expect me to be living a primitive life. Anyways, the murder is said to have killed ten people, and this news is yesterday old."

"I didn't hear of it, I was busy exploring and got lost, which got me here, to you..."

"Hmmm, I see exploring huh....,"

" something wrong....?", Robert asks concerned.

"Mmm.....nothing, its just, its been awhile since I have talked to someone , I--," the three living beings jump in surprise of the familiar thumping sounds against the hard wood.

 They stay still for awhile waiting and silently praying for whatever caused the door to thud in anger to go away, then with a low whisper like voice,Mary mumbles which goes noticed by the other two tenants, causing them to hold in a laugh.

" what do they think this a free rent house. I swear this tiny little wooden hut won't take another beast in!!."

After few moments of stillness, they hear nothing but the screams of the storm ravening around the lonely cabin. Robert the curious cat he is, motions with his hands that he is going to check it out. Observeing for awhile he whispers,

" I think it's gone, there is nothing."

" Buddy that's how I almost left you to your death, if not for your miserable beseeching cries, I wouldn't have opened the door."

"...oh!..." And before they could utter another word, the said offender starts to run with full speed towards the door, steps backwards, then again with full speed runs towards the door; threatening to break it, the beast stops when it hears voices telling him, they will open up. 

" what do we do mary..., we're gonna die,"

" no get it together soldier boy,"

"but I haven't been to an army."

"Yo seriously, u gonna crack a joke now, anyways listen to me, hold Fancy in case something happens, protect yourself. Now your gonna open the door and I will be standing right in the middle to blast its head off, got it!."

" seems like someone is eager to shoot today,"

"Shut it and get your ass ready."

Feeling uneasy both of them take a deep breath and begin to countdown, "3.....2.....1.... Now!!!", as Robert pulls open the door, a black hooded being, drenched in blood falls in Robert's arms, as if it is the most fragile being on this planet. Uncertain of to do, Robert turns his head towards the leader of their group, "now..wwhaatt....his bleeding alot."

"ohh, great another fragile flower boy, bring him in, hurry!."

Mary runs off to bring some clothes again and bandages, while Albert, throws in more wood to warm up the freezing stale body, Robert hurriedly tears open his sticky ragged bloody clothes and starts wiping his body with lukewarm water, trying his best to clean the stale body; until,

" hey Mary"

"Yea, is he alive?"

" yea, but I think we have problem,"

" what is it?," says the girl still searching.

" do you by any chance know what the murder looks like,....

I mean did they describe him or anything...?"

" yea they did ; a young man in his early twenties , about 6ft tall or something, red headed and,green eyes....., why did you see the criminal snoop around the area!!,kkkkkk."

" No much worse,........I think (gulps) we've already welcomed the murder."

" hey turd head what are you talking about, I don--", Mary comes to the shivering corpse, takes a close look at him, opens his lids, and closes them, rubs her temple before saying,

" yo I think we fucked up...hhhhh.. we're toast."

 After one hour when the storm has gotten a little better, a certain redhead, nicely tucked in a cocoon of blankets, starts to shift right and left. Then with a raspy, hoarse voice he calls for anyone in the blinding darkness, to help him. Few moments of pure agonizing silence, the man starts to squirm and wriggle his way out of the tight enclosed fabrics, wrapped around his numb body. Then he feels something cold touch his forehead,

"Don't even think of moving an inch, if you want your head attached to the rest of your body, you criminal scum"

" no,...wait,listen to me grandma!!, its not what you think,"

" tch, you criminal scum, dare call me an ol lady!. I'm a young stallion, why does everyone keep on calling me a grandmaaa, I'm in my fudging prime!!."

" ohh right right, forgive me and please allow me to explain myself, I'm not a murder" Robert butts in, " oh I thought she was a grandma too, strange......, this atmosphere is strangely and disturbingly familiar,"

"anyways!, so wise guy how do you explain this, your clothes are soaked in blood that's not yours!!."

"duh I was framed dude,"

" we're listening. "

"Well,I'm originally a tourist, I came to take a breather from my hectic life, then things happened quickly and before I knew it BAAAM!!, I ended up being deceived by group of thugs. They ended up murdering a bunch of other tourists who were trying resist ,but the police were nearby so they took me as a hostage, but I used all my skills and snapped their necks, and no I didn't kill them. They just fell unconscious , i hopped into a car,drove as fast I could. Yet they ended up trapping me, I had to survive, so I crashed into few innocent cars , and TAADAA!!!!,before I could explain I was framed as the murder."

"..........."

Robert speaks up," dude do you expect us to believe that crap, you can't be serious."

" I'm serious tho......I really didn't do it,at least not now, look I admit, I have caused injuries, but I didn't kill anyone I promise."

Mary sighs while getting up to grab a bowl of bland tasteless soup, and shoves it to the hungry man, then she says," just don't cause too much trouble in your stay here got it, now introduce yourself mate."

" Oh great!, I am Robin Welham, nice to meet you!"

"Ohh we have another Robby here , I'm Mary an this is Albert my mate in life!!"

"...., Im Robert."

The three snuggle themselves with the blankets and Albert's warm belly, then Robin speaks up, " but seriously never thought someone would live here in this place"

" dude whats more shocking is that she has electricity!!!!."

"No way so this vintage box here actually works!!"

"Yup, it does robby", says Mary unimpressed. After a strange ominous silence, Robin decides to finally drop the act and says something that neither of the two wanted to blur out yet.

"Mmm, never guessed that we would meet again like this after six years...., and you guys put on quite the show!...." Robert,glances at him then at Mary and says, "heh, same, I wasn't sure at first but after having a close look at those guns, I was certain it was you Mary, and after checking you out

( casually points at him up and down ), those piercings and that gaze I knew it was you Robin."

" well, well,... would you look at our fate, even after hiding in some nameless deep isolated place, we meet yet again after six years,.....now isn't this a plot twist of the century", says Mary while twirling the guns around and between her fingers while smirking and glancing at the two boys beside her.

"Now that we have officially dropped the sickening; sugary formality, why don't you tell me the truth, and give me the scoops I've missed, hmmm."

"Sure."

"Sure, but you've gotta tell your part of the story too."

" My pleasure!."

They say smirking devilishly, liking the raw and unmasked presence of each other, liking the familiar sensation, the nostalgic bloody memories they had together back in the days.

And indeed the three rivalry assassins whom met again after six years of Mary's disappearance, spoke forgetting everything else, thanks to the endless; eternal storms, they covered stories of six years , revealed hidden secrets, unfolded painful pasts, spilled regrets and disclosed their future plans.

 It's truly amazing how a small cabin lost in the mountains with no communication system, with barely any visible lights ,detached from rest of the world, managed to gather and reunite the most highly required assassins, together once again. 

January 18, 2021 07:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.