4 comments

General

Life was full of love and laughter for me all my life. I had a loving mother and father who nearly crushed me to death with it both figuratively and literally. Birthdays were always a blast and my friends were always excited to know what I am going to do for my next.


I had everything I could ever need or want but there was an empty feeling somewhere deep within. I didn't really notice it at first but the feeling began to build until it formally announced itself. I soon began to identify that feeling as "loneliness".


What reason do I have to be lonely? I mean, I'm pretty much smothered by love by everyone around me. Did I eat something weird? No...that couldn't be it. I also crossed off any other reason off until I came to the last one.


You see... I was an only child. I always had a bunch of friends but there was never another kid in the house to grow up with and mess around. It's not like I could just ask my parents to create a brother for me right?. First of all, they were getting up there in years and If they went this long without having another baby, I'm sure I was all they wanted. It still stung though.


My 14th birthday was like the rest and maybe even a little crazier, I'm not sure. My friends were over and we were practically destroying the house like we were demolition workers. The day was long and tiring. Usually, after my friends left, my parents would stay up late and watch movies with me until it was late. That was different this time though. They told me they had to go and pick something up from a store... or something.


Anyway, I didn't want them to go as it was my birthday. They told me that it would be worth it so I eventually gave in. With smiles and hugs from both of them, they locked the door behind them and drove off. I was left home alone on my birthday.


I wondered what they were picking up. Was it another game? I had enough of those at this point. Honestly, I had no idea what they were doing and it was pointless to guess. I looked back at the TV and resumed watching this superhero movie that was playing. The hero just saved a bunch of people from the villain and they were all saying their praise to him. Of course, the hero replied with a big grin and told the citizens that he was just doing his job. I noticed that his smile seemed kinda forced like maybe he was hiding his true feelings about something. Maybe he was lonely too.


I eventually finished the movie and switched the TV off. The ticking of the clock slowly echoed around the house as I took my phone out of my pocket to play some games. The gameplay distracted me from the sound of the clock and I didn't really notice how much time had passed while playing. The games pretty much made me forget I was alone as I became locked in and was soon having a blast again.


Some more time passed and I got bored with it too. I wonder what I can do next? I got up from the couch and was about to head to my room. That was when I saw it. The lights from my parents' car peered through the outside windows and brightened up the whole house! I sped next to the door, unlocked it, and stood in the doorway waiting to see what my parents got. My parents soon turned the car off and got out. I noticed my mother carrying a box with a look almost as eager as mine. We all hurried inside, turned the lights on, and looked anxiously at the box. My mother sat it down and took the lid off.


All I saw was a black blob. What is that? I was told to wait for a bit longer and started to see the blob move. It moved very slowly. I began to see the features of the blob. It had a tail, two back legs, two front legs, floppy ears, short curly fur, and a small head that was staring at me. Its eyes made a sparkle that was too bright for any star to compete with. OH...MY...GOD! ITS A PUPPY!. The biggest grin formed on my face and I couldn't help but smile until my cheeks were aching. As soon as I saw her, I felt the warmest, most comforting feeling deep within. Like she was hugging my soul.


A few days passed and we decided on the name, Abby. She was as fierce as any other wolf, or at least she made it seem like when the doorbell was rung or she saw a squirrel. In reality, she was the sweetest little furball I had come to know. She trotted like a soldier in the early days and tried with all of her might to lift toys bigger than herself!. To my surprise, she was stronger than she looked and often was able to yank toys out of my hand.


As time went by, she got bigger and stronger, although she still was puppy-sized compared to normal dogs. To my joy, she also got cuter, which I thought was impossible. I often wondered what was her secret, maybe her dog mother took a potion. Anyway, she still acted like a puppy and required a lot of attention as well. She got crazy sometimes and zoomed around the house, nearly knocking things down. Sometimes it's a hassle and sometimes I get mad but when I look at her face it all seems to fade away. It's like she cast a spell on me with those big brown eyes.


Whatever magical properties she might have, I don't mind one bit. She became my best friend and I could count on her to always make me laugh. I have never once regretted getting her and her weird quirks only add to the fun.


If I was given the chance to customize my own dog, I would fine-tune it to exactly be like Abby. I don't regret getting her, not one bit.




July 08, 2020 23:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

ALINA Manha
20:26 Oct 29, 2020

Wow the story is so cute. I wish I could have a friend like Abby too. Enjoyed it very much. 😊 Great job.

Reply

Brandon Johnson
00:35 Oct 30, 2020

Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
05:25 Jul 10, 2020

Very good read of a sweet story of one being lonely to finally get a best bud. Well done.

Reply

Brandon Johnson
02:25 Jul 11, 2020

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.