Midaul the Merciful

Submitted into Contest #261 in response to: Write a story about an unsung hero.... view prompt

7 comments

Drama Fiction Speculative

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The world of Nuoath is no stranger to the conquerors upon its surface, from the current great three of Arkos, Dhaast, and Lady Parine to the previous legends of Benrun the Brutal, the Mad Queen Sadaar, and Gianla of Goch. Amongst the most notorious of these names, the bloodthirsty and seemingly untouchable Ulynder Vadastim is one that will never be forgotten. With each conqueror, though, is their second-in-command that barely receives the same notoriety. Midaul Kannad was such a person, yet his notoriety was nowhere near the infamy of his king, even after breaking faith with him.


The trial was recorded in the Cycle of the Prince Two-Thousand and Forty-Seven, on the final day of the Summer Season in the city of Garstread, centered in the nation of Drebort. King Dorrack of Drebort, King Pilna of Sennidth, and King Helaak ka-Nashid from Galeen-ba-Teba had gathered with many of their countrymen, with the plant-like Crehlitt and many a Bestial member to witness the execution of former emperor Ulynder and his top officers, with Midaul kept at the very back. Midaul looked up to see the method of execution commonly called a "jolt-puller".


By a series of ropes and pulleys, the large plank where the subject stood would fall open, dropping the person. At the same time, a heavy metal "stone" would slide down a slope to a drop chute. One end of a fiber cord would be looped thrice around the subject's neck with the other end being buried deep inside the weight, with the middle looped through another pulley system. The length of the fiber allowed a temporary drop for both person and stone until it went taunt; the heavier metal weight would fall while the subject would be yanked upward, the neck broken by the sudden shift from falling to hoisting. The result was the neck being snapped from the sudden shift, or "jolt"; thus, the machine was immortalized as the jolt-puller. This contraption and its first victim received their introductions from the arriving herald:


"Behold, the tool of justice! By the decree of the three kings, by the verdict of our esteemed Sworn, and by the witness of you the people, the tyrant known as Ulynder Vadastim, better known as The Razer, will be dropped, jolted, and raised for proof of death. Any final statements, Sir 'Untouchable'?"


The guards brought the tyrant forward, growling like a wild animal. Not one person didn't express their disapproval to this monster; he responded with his own roars of rage and self-mirth from a lack of remorse or even fear. Amongst his babble were these haunting words that the herald clearly heard despite the noise:


"Not even the land will fully heal from the scars I inflicted upon it!"


The herald turned to face the three monarchs, all nodding their heads. The herald signaled for two more guards to wrap the cord around Ulynder's hostile throat. Surprisingly, the Razer didn't fight against the incoming execution. He did try to bite the guards, desperate to spill blood one last time. Restraining him, the guards got the fiber tied and then cleared the plank. The head guard, wearing a helmet to obscure his face, grabbed the lever and pulled. All eyes beheld the smiling face of Emperor Ulynder before the sudden jolt had the smirk wiped off of his face.


The deafening cries of both approval and rage hit almost as hard as the great stone now indenting the ground, the counterweight of the Emperor's corpse floating above and swinging in its death circle. The only ones not making any sound, aside from the dead body, were the three kings and the Sworn as they looked upon this work of theirs and agreed simultaneously that the deed was nearly done. From there, officer after officer loyal to Ulynder was led to the jolt-puller, joining their leader to oblivion. Though not quite reaching the malice of Ulynder, each one was still met with the same disdain and abhorrence for their part in their brutal partaking of his conquest. As the sun started its setting period, the herald pointed to the guards; "Bring up the Supreme Commander of Ulynder's forces!"


Midaul was summoned by guards onto the stage.


The echos of cheers and jeers died down to barely a whisper passing from one person to another. Even the Crehlitt murmured, which is an unusual sight given their more stoic

approach as "observing plant people". The roars from a few Bestial tribes quieted down, with nary a growl from these fine warriors.


The three kings spoke amongst themselves as the herald called out publicly, "Midaul Kannad, Supreme Commander of the former Emperor Ulynder, the first and only head of the established Estate of Kannad, which included this very place and you very witnesses. He was practically given this portion of your great land, mighty King Dorrack!" He turned and bowed to the mentioned monarch, who inclined his head in turn. The herald then looked at Midaul. "There were many witnesses upon your trial, almost all of them asking for your life to be spared from the clutches of the jolt-puller. There are members of the Crehlitt stating that you did what you could to heal their forests when Ulynder tried to burn their people down. There are Bestials who swear that, though you had killed many of their warriors, it was in battle or in honorable duel; they hold neither grudge nor slander to your name even after you returned the weapons back to their families. There were people here who gave account of your good works for them and their city."


The herald smiled at the accused and whittled it down to a blunt line. "But we all know that it will take more than good deeds to save a man from justice. We have come to the verdicts, which I shall read out loud."


The herald cleared his throat and prepared himself. "On the charges of conspiring with a tyrant as well as willful aiding and abetting officers of disgraceful content, the Sworn proclaim that Midaul is guilty." The crowd gave their response in dissatisfaction, yet the herald continued; "On the charge of mass murder, the Sworn proclaim that Midaul is innocent." With this, the crowd now showed favor, yet the herald proceeded with his hands raised to signal a need for quelling the noise. "On the charge of mass enslavement, the Sworn proclaim that Midaul is guilty via association." At this, people started yelling out loud:


"He released those slaves! We were never bound or forced! Spare him! Release him! Let him go!"


The herald practically screamed his throat hoarse; "Hold, hold, good people! The Sworn, and the three kings, do agree that those under Midaul were eventually freed of being fettered and taxed. However, they remained as his servants, which has been taken into account. Let us not forget those who were still enslaved by his Emperor and the other officers thanks to his actions."


Once the crowd was silent, the herald looked to Midaul. "On the charge of war crimes committed against the forces of King ka-Nashid, ranging from savage torture to cruel and unusual executions, the Sworn proclaim that Midaul is innocent." What sounded like a wave of relief emanating from the crowd passed forth, and Midaul closed his eyes as if relieved. "Finally!" the herald cried out, causing a few of the audience to jump. "On the charges of espionage and sedition, as such to ease the steps of conquest of his king, the Sworn find Midaul innocent on the latter, yet guilty on the former."


The multitude spoke, but more to each other rather than at the herald or even Midaul. The large Supreme Commander then stepped forward and said, "Good people, hear my confession!" Once the crowd was quiet, he started: "It is true that neither I nor any under my personal command spread any sort of information, be it propaganda or vile rumor, amongst the populace to sew discord and distrust amongst you. It is also true that I and my personal soldiers did place ourselves amongst you, watching the patterns of guards and nobles, looking upon your armies from afar, and noting your resources. However, for my part, I sought to minimize the damage so that you would not suffer exponentially. Several of my confidants, unfortunately, were killed off by Ulynder's own assassins in an attempt to hide the information. I have given every single written note and illustration to your respected kings and chieftains that they and all here will know that I speak the truth. I don't do so for myself, but on behalf of many a good man that once answered only to me."


Though disappointment was upon many a face in the crowd, it was soon given to understanding; Midaul never lied to the people. This time, King Dorrack stepped forward, turning to the members of the Sworn; "You have this late confession. I and my cohorts are convinced, so what say you?"


One of the hooded Sworn stepped forward. "Dear King, we the Sworn acknowledge the confession of the accused. Therefore, our verdict still stands." The member stepped back with the rest, and King Pilna now approached the people. "The discussion between the kings has been concluded. On such verdicts of willful actions to conquer as well as spy upon our nations, we would have passed the punishment of death." He raised his right arm as everyone started their uproar. "Not this time!" Peace followed the echo of anger, and King Pilna finished, "Not this time, for the actions of Midaul may have spared more than what Ulynder would have willingly fed to the fowls. He spoke the truth, we do have his research, and we would not be here if it wasn't for his betrayal of Ulynder, leading us to capture that beast."


At this, King ka-Nashid came forward. "Ulynder has destroyed much of my home as he has to yours, Kings Dorrack and King Pilna. By our oath, we swore to see Ulynder jolted, and so we have. Our nation shall do what it can for each of yours until the damage is repaired. As for my say about Midaul, I have agreed with the kings and your Sworn about him being spared." Relief swept unto every face, but King ka-Nashid wasn't done. "But your laws are specific, and our treaty of alliance must be honored under such. The punishment has been agreed by we three and by your Sworn. Midaul's estates and assets are forfeit amongst our three kingdoms as reparations and his soldiers are to be sent home, never to pick up another weapon again. Midaul, himself, has no home."


With this, the herald unlocked Midaul's ring-binds. A temporary cry of joy came from the crowd, but remembrance of ka-Nashid's words had them asking questions. The herald gave just one answer: "It is the judgement of our Sworn, supported by the allied monarchs gathered before you, that the former Supreme Commander known as Midaul Kannad is hereby banished and barred from the kingdoms of Drebort, Sennidth, and Galeen-ba-Teba." With that, he procured a red rag from his right pocket and a small flask of water from his left. Pouring the water upon the rag, he turned back to Midaul and firmly seized his right hand, tying the red rag around the wrist.


Hearing and seeing all of this left the crowd more dead than a cemetery. They got what they wanted, but now they were going to lose this man of good action and fulfilled promises who once lorded over them with a fair hand that was now tied with a marker cloth, which will stain his wrist with a red ring that proved his banishment. King Dorrack concluded the spectacle:


"Look up him, any and all! You have asked for mercy. He is given mercy, for he had given mercy! Let him pass through you and through the gates, unimpeded. Let him go to the boundary outside of our nations, to the jungles or mountains. Let him travel the great oceans to nations unknown, by his coin or by his merit, but let him never return. The day he is found in the nations of Drebort, Sennidth, or Galeen-ba-Teba is the day he will be killed on sight. Such is the law! Such is the fate of those who serve tyrants even with the best intentions!"


This account was found in the storeroom of Drebort. One would have missed it as it was only one-and-a-half pages. The only other record of Midaul was in the testimony of the guards of that time, mentioning his removal from the execution stage to the border of Drebort. There was one sidenote from a guard named Lisk:


"I walked behind the prisoner known as Midaul Kannad. The crowd parted for our company. A few faces turned away, but so many cried out in tears and voices for this prisoner. I didn't understand in that moment; he was a free man now, he was given life by His Majesty, King Dorrack, and by the verdict of the Sworn and the will of even these people. Why do they weep? What was his reign over them like that they would want him to stay?"


"As we neared the gate, a little girl ran up and hugged his leg. 'Please, sir, don't go!' she sobbed as her mother and father came forward to take her back. 'You made our home good again, you pardoned my brother and returned him, please don't go!' Our captain demanded the girl release the prisoner, but then stopped when Midaul glared at him. The prisoner took the little girl's arms and knelt in front of her. 'Child,' he cooed, 'go back to your mother and father and brother. My heart is broken, but you will always have a piece in your home.' He then let her go and faced the gate, resuming his march to parts far away."


A tyrant was given his due diligence, yet a spared man was still punished.


Much is spoken about Ulynder, so famous for seeming untouchable as he slaughtered and plundered his enemies while destroying their cities that he earned the name, "The Razer". Stories and songs came forth of his acts, despite his reputation as a callous and ferocious tyrant. Yet, amongst the records, so little is said about his Supreme Commander. Perhaps it was due to what little knowledge is actually written about him, as all who knew him only saw the man and his actions and none asked him about his time before, or it might have been a way to distance this person from the literal incarnation of evil. Though a mighty warrior in his own right, this enigmatic individual spared the innocent from his blade and actually worked to improve the living conditions of his conquered quarry.


May the King of the All and Ever never let us forget Midaul the Merciful.

July 31, 2024 09:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

BRUCE MARTIN
02:10 Aug 12, 2024

Cool story! Very imaginative.

Reply

Steffen Lettau
04:40 Aug 12, 2024

Thank you! Reedsy has been quite the helpful site for my worldbuilding!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:22 Aug 05, 2024

This story really drew me in. Especially when I felt injustice would befall a seemingly innocent man. I think there are other stories about this world before this one. I want to read them later! Wow. The twist where he is saved from death but still banished. Such a shame. But he still did wrong even if greater wrong had been mitigated due to his actions. Is anyone ever totally innocent? A great lesson. An unsung hero, indeed.

Reply

Steffen Lettau
00:37 Aug 06, 2024

Thank you! Stories like these help me shape the world I want to build, and it is the pieces of lore that I feel generate interest in the much bigger novel that will come out one day. Again, I appreciate your feedback!

Reply

23:14 Aug 06, 2024

Pretty please feel free to give me a read or comment anytime. Kaitlyn.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:41 Aug 01, 2024

May he live well and long.

Reply

Steffen Lettau
03:26 Aug 01, 2024

That he did, but at great cost.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.