0 comments

Fiction Fantasy Drama

(This story is set on planet Tellus, earth’s twin, 800 years behind and evolving.)

Qoqa was young, handsome and sturdy and would work hard. Farm owner Fez chose him to be supervisor of his farm. Fez’s daughter Milma managed the farm under the overall direction of Fez himself. Qoqa was given a living quarter on the farm where he lived alone. Milma was quite young and very attractive and Qoqa would often dream of getting her as his wife though he knew her higher status stood in the way. But he scented that she had a soft corner in her heart for him. One day he was mending a fence when she came to inspect and watching him work said “Qoqa you’ve done a good job. Keep it up.” But such kudos were also alternate to her admonitions as she was a sharp manager.

Recently she came to see water being channelled for irrigation from the large well. Three labourers were at work going up and down on levered logs of wood to bring up water.

Milma who was watching said “Qoqa there’s a lot of wastage of water. The water channel has to be repaired. I told you about it but you’ve ignored my order.”

Qoqa said “I told your dad that bamboo pipes aren’t suitable. He told me to speak to you. I told you about the alternative but.......”

Milma grew angry and said “I told you the alternative couldn’t be arranged till after....”

She saw he wasn’t listening and was giving orders to labourers inside the well. She shouted “Don’t forget I’m the boss. I can sack you and easily find another to replace you.”

Qoqa didn’t reply. He continued supervising the labourers.

In a rage Milma withdrew thinking that the time had come to sack Qoqa. She took her complaint to her father but he said “Qoqa is good at his job. His men obey him and work gets done. Be patient. He’ll come round.”

Qoqa who had been offended went and met Wizma the witch: The old woman had solutions to many problems. He presented her with a basket of fruit when she said “Thanks. What brings you to me?”

“You know I work for Fez and his daughter Milma is my immediate boss. I like her a lot and thought she also liked me. I was wrong.” He mentioned the recent exchange of words with Milma.

Wizma laughed and said “You don’t understand women. They’re temperamental and like to have their way.  Don’t be prejudiced because of a single incident. She is good-looking and will make you happy as wife. I’ll be happy if that happens. Be patient.”

As he appeared dissatisfied with her advice, she brought out cowries and cast them on the sand. She studied them and said “I prophecy a happy end to ytour problems.”

 She changed the topic and asked “The time for the boat festival is nearing. Are you getting ready?”

The boat festival was an important feature in the lives of those on Rubi Isle. There would be displays of decorated boats and also the boat race on the river when boats from other venues would also take part. At the previous event, Qoqa had won the first prize and had many fans. People loved to discuss about Qoqa’s ability to beat the formidable Emerald team. Wizma was also one of Qoqa’s fans.

“Of course granny. Warden had called me and said he was ready to offer me the job of trainer. He suggested I quit work with Fez.” The boss of the boat festival was held in great respect and was always referred to as Warden.

Wizma said “Don’t do that. Continue to work for Fez. I suggest a way out to cope with your problems: You could observe a year of penitence. That means you will give up all worldly delights for that duration. That should cause Milma to rethink about you.”

Qoqa was given leave of absence to take part in the boat festival. He spent time with his team practicing. Warden’s daughter Frilli was Qoqa’s great fan. She was at the practice venue where she slipped and was about to fall into the river when Qoqa held on to her and in the process hurt his leg. The medico said “That’s only a small wound. You’ll find it difficult to walk. Take rest at home for two or three days.”

After Qoqa had gone back home, Frilli carried food for him to eat. She applied certain extracts to the wound on his heel. It was at that time that Milma entered Qoqa’s home having just heard about his having been injured. She was very angry and very surprised to see Frilli ministering to Qoqa. I haven’t yet said that Frilli was also the same age as Milma and was quite beautiful.

Milma said “Frilli you needn’t bother to help him coming from your home afar. He works of us and I’ll do whatever is necessary. Qoqa I hope you don’t mind.”

“Madam, I’m observing a year of penitence when I shed all worldly delights, tell no lies, show no anger or indulge in other improprieties whatever people say or do.”

Frilli withdrew in a rage. Milama said “Qoqa, how did you allow that tramp to treat you? You know I would’ve done anything for you. You take complete rest. I’ll look after you. I know you will again win the great race.”

Qoqa was healed and well and when the boat festival came he was again the winner. Many young women wished he would propose to them.

Milma was thinking he would propose to her but he was aloof. He reminded her of his vow of penitence. She was very angry with Wizma and going to her said “It is you who made the sinless Qoqa to observe a year of penitence. I want to be his wife and can’t wait one year waiting for his caresses.”

Wizma laughed and said “No doubt I told him to observe the penance but didn’t tell him when to start it. He can’t start observing it according to his convenience. Probably he isn’t aware that I’ve to decree it.”

Milma embraced the witch and going home brought her a big reward. Wilma said “MIlma, there is one more reward due to me. It was I who cast a spell on Frilli to fall in love with Qoqa.”

“You shouldn’t have done it. Now reverse it. I want Qoqa for myself. I’ll reward you again.”

Wizma said “It’ll be done” and bagged one more reward. It wasn’t surprising that Qoqa married Milma and later became the owner of Fez’s farm.

END

February 02, 2022 10:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.