Hope around the corner

Submitted into Contest #14 in response to: And there's a twist! It actually all took place in the past.... view prompt

0 comments

General

That day was not any normal day in the life of Mr. Gladious, as he was going to retire after this day. A fancy trip to Europe is what he has been dreaming of for the past thirty some years. Long, long years of hard working and detecation for his job as a post man In a small town called Beesvile.

He passed by the only coffee shop in town owned by old Jack his friend, Mr. Gladious did not feel very good this morning he thought he is getting a last day on duty fever. He thought a quick conversation with old Jack before work wouldn't hurt specially it is still early.

"Good morning Jack, let me get my coffee.." said Mr. Gladious

"What's wrong with you? Woke up on the wrong side of bed?" Said old Jack

"My head is about to bust out, the pain is weird" said by Mr. Gladious while he is touching his head.

"Maybe you need to go to the doctor?" Told by old Jack while he is passing the hot steamy coffee cup to Mr. Gladious

"After today I will be officially retired! I will have all the time in the world, said Mr Gladious while a smile on the corner of his mouth is shaping slowly.

Time passed quick and Mr. Gladious had to go to work. Another day of going through streets and roads delivering people's hopes, problems, ads and bills. Dreaming of himself going though the streets of Milan in Italy, taking photos in Paris and meeting probably the love of his life in the few years he has remained.

Every now and then the sharp pain would come as an unwanted visitor in Mr Gladious head. He almost had a couple of accidents and had to pull over to put himself together. Smiling he thought"I wonder what my doctor Mr hall would not tell me about this"

Few hours later, he clocked out his last day at work, everyone was so happy for him and sad cause they won't see him anymore. Some were envying him for his good health and his life in retirement he is about to have alone. No wife or son only his dog spotty to take care of and years of doing only what he pleases.

On his way back the sharp pain was unbearable he had to rush himself to his apartment to call the emergency room, spotty started jumping around happy for her friend is home, but suddenly she pulls away from around him, Mr Gladious hits the ground hard while the woman on the next line says "nine one one what's your emergency..?"


The funeral of Mr Gladious was almost very quite, no one was there to talk about him but very few people, his doctor Mr. Dawny hall spoke last and said " Mr Gladious was an extraordinary man. He lived all his life on hope. No matter how hard his situation was he always said hope is around the corner all it needs you move and go get just like when u want a can of pop or a bar of candy you go to the store around the corner, he did not know he had brain cancer, he asked me no to tell him if I knew we can't do nothing about! If it's nothing you can't fix, then it shouldn't worth your worries, only those who believe hope is around the corner can make it to their last day breathing!"

November 08, 2019 05:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.