The Taste of Music

Submitted into Contest #205 in response to: Start your story during a full moon night.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Fantasy Fiction

The Symphonia Performing Center is a sight to behold. Not only was it one of the oldest and most popular theaters in the world, it was an outdoor amphitheater. It was gorgeous in the daylight, but it's best seen at night. Lanterns are lit up around the audience, the cushioned wood seats gleamed brightly during the full moon and sheets of stars twinkle and wink over everyone’s heads. Never in my life did I think I’d sit here, but today’s my lucky day. After his self-imposed hiatus, my idol Ramone was back and I was seeing him tonight! When I got news of his invitation-only ‘Musical Rebirth’ Concert, and workshop, I didn’t know whether to cheer or cry. I was so happy he was finally back, but I knew that only celebrities would fill the seats. But the prompt below the announcement gave me hope.

‘If you wish to attend both the concert and workshop, please submit a video introducing yourself and why you want to be in music. Ramone will choose the workshop attendees and they’ll have a special booth in the audience.’

I made my video that night. I usually scurried away from cameras, but my excitement crushed any trace of fear. I pulled on my favorite lacy yellow dress for good luck, turned on a newly purchased ring light, and pressed record on my camera.

“Hi Ramone, or Mr. Ramone, sorry I’m not sure how to address you… My name is Cecilia, I’m twenty two, and I’m an aspiring singer who’s been diagnosed with hyperacusis. Hyperacusis is severe sound sensitivity, which happened because of a head injury. Your music was the only thing I could listen to during recovery, and it helped me a lot. I've followed your music journey from when you started at your church all the way to the Flower Festival concert- Oh sorry, didn’t mean to bring that up… I know people didn’t like that concert… Or the album you released at that time, but it’s my absolute favorite! I play it all the time, I love it! But anyway, I want to be in music to show that even someone with everything stacked against them can still win. I couldn’t even listen to music two years ago, but I think I have a chance to succeed now. Plus, I really want you to hear me sing so I can show off! And uh, that’s it! Thanks for listening, bye!”

That video, and a clip of me singing one of Ramone’s hit songs (a little extra, I know), got me concert and workshop tickets. Now I was in my yellow dress again, my hair was in bouncy curls, and I was being complimented by the older woman I helped to her seat.

“You look absolutely wonderful, like a little daisy!” she exclaimed. I smiled and waved her compliment away.

“I don’t look half as good as you! Silver’s really your color.” The woman blushed and patted my hand. She was in a long silver gown that shimmered in the moonlight. Her salt and pepper hair was in an elaborate updo and her makeup made her blue eyes pop. 

“Thank you dear,” she said happily, “Ramone has all that beautiful silver hair, I wanted to match as best as I could!” We chatted as people got settled down. The woman’s name was Rhonda and she wanted to be an opera singer her whole life. A lack of support in her earlier life had stalled this dream, but Ramone’s music, his return, and the workshop inspired her to try again. 

The lanterns around us dimmed and the audience gradually fell quiet. The curtains parted and revealed our star Ramone seated gracefully on the stage. Raucous applause and cheers pounding through the space like a thunderstorm. Pain shot through my head, but my breathing exercises helped lessen the blow to my eardrums. Ramone raised a graceful hand and everyone quieted.

Ramone was even more beautiful in person. His silver hair was in a long ponytail, he was dressed in a crisp white suit, and his graceful hands were highlighted with white nail polish. He flashed us a smile as he stood and grabbed the microphone. 

“Hello everyone, and welcome to my musical Rebirth. I must apologize for my break being so long, but I promise I’ve used that time to create something life-changing. Tonight, you’ll be hearing entirely new music I’ve been creating. And after the lukewarm reaction to my last pieces-” Laughter filled the space, making Ramone smile tightly, “Well, I hope you’ll receive these better. One more thing before we start. In your programs, there are different emotions next to each song. I’ve decided to focus on making my audience feel through my music. So whatever you feel while I’m playing, embrace it. Laugh, scream, cry, cheer. Don’t wash away any impulses, just let yourselves feel.” That last word was accented with a slightly sinister grin . My smile slipped as his eyes seemed to darken to a stormy gray. Probably just a trick of the light….

The audience applauded again as Ramone’s harp was rolled out. Instead of his usual small silver harp, a tall obsidian harp with blood red strings loomed over him. The instrument matched the new pendant peeking out of Ramone’s suit jacket. In past interviews, Ramone said he avoided wearing jewelry because the weight distracts him while playing. So why was he wearing such a heavy necklace on such an important night?

A delicate pluck of a string cleared away my thoughts. Ramone began playing his first song, a tune with high, clear notes that bounced off the walls. Strangely enough, the song made me think of frogs leaping across lily pads in a lake. Ramone’s full tenor further sculpted this image, making the imaginary frogs dance along with his light and buoyant vocals. As they twirled, kicked and swayed to the music, a giggle grew in my throat. Others fell victim to the mysterious laughter. Two girls behind me held each other, their cheeks pink with mirth. A man shook with laughter against his wife. Miss Rhonda was chortiling, not hiding her volume at all. Ramone swayed as he played and sang, not caring that his audience was falling into hysterics. When the song ended, I was giggling uncontrollably with tears running down my face. Laughter and cheers accompanied the applause as Ramone inclined his head in acknowledgement. 

The rest of the concert was a rainbow of emotion. Ramone’s next song was a mournful tear-soaked ballad that had everyone sobbing each in each other’s arms. A sweet lyrical tune had people waltzing in the aisles like we were in a grand ball. One song with a cello accompanist was so haunting and ominous, everyone sat frozen in fear. All the while, Ramone continued playing, staying serene and relaxed as his audience journeyed through emotion. The only time he reacted was when he giggled after he and a saxophonist played a sensual, jazzy number that had everyone… hot under the collar so to speak.

I’ll never listen to that again.” I thought, fanning myself and adjusting my dress. Many people also hid their faces as they tried to put themselves back together. My eyes were on Ramone as the audience murmured and laughed. His smile was fading and was being replaced by a deep, ugly frown. His stance was stiffer and his hands curled into fists on his lap. The diamond around his neck had changed color as well. Instead of being clear, it was now deep red with viscous black webs swirling around the surface. As Ramone raised his hands to the strings, his gaze met mine from the stage. He couldn’t have possibly seen me from that far away, but I could feel the hate from his eyes sinking into my skin. Tears filled my eyes as a cruel smile distorted Ramone’s beautiful face.

Reality rushed back into my head as I hurriedly looked away.  I counted the songs we’d listened to in my program. This was the last one with a blank space where the emotion should be. What was he going to do to us? And how did his songs make me feel all of those emotions so viscerally, not to mention an entire audience? I wasn’t sticking around to find out what was happening next. I grabbed my purse and shawl and tapped Miss Rhonda’s shoulder..

“Dear, what’s wrong?” Miss Rhonda asked breathlessly.

“I think we need to leave.” I said hurriedly.

“Oh hon, was it that last song?” Miss Rhonda patted my hand sympathetically, “Don’t worry, no one paid attention, and I’m sure no one will speak of this again-”

“No it’s not that, something’s really wrong-” Ramone plucked another string and silence fell. I cried out as a pulse of pain pounded behind my eye. I rubbed my eye to soothe it, but couldn’t get my other hand free from Miss Rhonda’s vice grip.

The harp spat out strange, shrieking notes, couples with low ominous notes in the background. Through the horrible migraine, I stared around at the audience. Everyone around me was frozen, their eyes fixated on the stage. The music grew louder and louder, intensifying the pain in my head and making everything blurry. I tried wrenching my hands away from Miss Rhonda but her grip wouldn’t give. Tears brimmed in my eyes, followed closely by a trickle of blood from my nose.

“Stop!” I yelled at the stage, “Stop playing!” Ramone’s grin widened as he started singing. His soothing voice was now a bizarre warbling melody with the harp’s humming in the forefront. The webs inside Ramone’s pendant swirled rapidly, making a shadowy cyclone inside the massive jewel. I finally wrenched my hand from Miss Rhonda’s grip, kneeled down and scooped her into my arms. I slowly moved through the crowd, trying to keep hold of my things and Miss Rhonda’s limp body. Something crashed into my hip and slammed me into the back of a chair. A man had collapsed against me and was now sliding to the floor. In fact, everyone was falling over in their seats. Some were snoring, some fell on top of each other, and many had collapsed against the back of others chairs. My own eyes got heavier, and my body felt like it was wading through thick mud.

Don’t stop, just keep going.” I thought furiously, “You can sleep later, just keep moving.” As I got to the top of the arena stairs, I glanced clearly up at the sky. The moon was a red tinged mass in the sky. A few patches of white managed to break through but it was quickly overtaken by deep crimson. Before I could puzzle that out, I slammed into a wall. I reached out and brushed against a nearly invisible dome made of faint red glowing veins, each of them pulsing to the turn of the song. I shoved against it, but ended up sliding to the floor. The rough ground and Miss Rhonda’s prone body were the last things I saw before sleep took over.

A jet black sky with a red moon and no stars is an ominous sight to wake up to. So is waking up tied to a chair surrounded by unconscious bodies, and especially Miss Rhonda in a heap on the floor. Her ankle was red, swollen, and bent oddly as she frantically scooted away from an approaching Ramone.

“Please let us go,”she begged, “We won’t tell anyone, nobody would believe us anyway!”

“You have an important purpose to fulfill before you leave.” Ramone said softly. He plucked a string on his harp and Miss Rhonda went rigid. Ramone knelt down and held his pendant close to her face, “Sing your favorite song for me.” Miss Rhonda shook her head and pressed her lips shut. Ramone plucked the string twice, the notes louder and more insistent. A tear fell down Miss Rhonda’s cheek as her shaking became worse. “Come now, resisting makes it worse. I know singing’s your favorite thing to do. Sing for me.” A strangled sob left her throat as Miss Rhonda began to feebly sing. As her song continued, her throat glowed with a spectacular blue light. It traveled up her neck, up her face, and made her eyes glow like brilliant jewels.

“Miss Rhonda!” I screamed. She trembled as the light was pulled from her face and sucked into the necklace. Miss Rhonda crumpled to the ground, her skin pale and eyes blank. Ramone sighed as I screamed again.

“There’s no need for all that noise,” he said.

“What the hell did you do to her?” He lifted his now blue necklace.

“I stole her voice.” Ramone said simply, “She has a lovely soprano, I couldn’t let it go to waste.” 

“What? Why would you do that?” I asked.

“Because she didn’t deserve to keep it.” The frown was back on his face again, creasing his smooth skin, “She insulted my album in her submission video, many others did too. They even laughed at the mention of it, that’s how much of a joke my work was to them. I put my heart and soul in my music, I spent weeks composing every song for those ungrateful people, and all they did was laugh. That woman even called it my…” His jaw tightened and he swallowed hard, “Weakest work to date.”

“But even though she didn’t like your album, she wanted your advice! Miss Rhonda told me how excited she was for the workshop, and the tips you’d give all of us. She wanted to sing for the rest of her life, and you took that away! How could you do that?”

“She and everyone else here doesn't deserve their pithy little dreams.” Ramone gently caressed the jewel with his fingertips, “They have a better use for me. Everyone’s musical talent, whether they sing or play an instrument, is in physical form in this necklace. Once I drink this, my skills will increase exponentially. No one will ever insult my work again once I’m the best.”

I looked at the horrible webs surrounding the jewel. They eagerly pressed themselves against the necklace, as if itching to snatch my voice from my throat. “Are you going to steal my voice too?” I asked hesitantly. Ramone’s gaze softened. He kneeled down and gently cupped my cheeks.

“No Cecilia, you don’t deserve that. You recognized the passion and hard work I put into my music. I could never punish a fan for loving my work!” He brushed the jewel against my lips, “Instead of some stuffy workshop, we can drink this together! I can’t imagine a better way to improve your voice.”

I scoffed and leaned away, “No, I’m not drinking that.”

“Why not? Everything you could ever want is right here.”

“Because I want my journey. I want to start from the bottom and get better and stronger, just like you. Your fight for success and refusal to give up inspired me so much, and I want that too!” My fingers tugged at my bonds, but my gaze never wavered from his, “When I get out of here, I’m going to succeed with my own hard work. Fiddle with your magic voice stuff as much as you want, but I’m doing this my way. And good luck telling the police what happened here.” Ramone smiled and shook his head.

“Trust me, as talented as you are, the music world will eat you alive. Even someone as successful as me is still torn apart by producers, the media, even my biggest fans. If you drink this, you’ll never have to experience that.” Ramone gently shook the necklace until the colors mixed themselves into a liquid rainbow. He unscrewed the top and inhaled the faint rainbow steam swirling out of the liquid, “This concert gave us something beautiful. We’ll be the greatest musicians in the world thanks to everyone here.”

“And how’re you gonna explain this away?” I asked. Ramone patted his harp as he raised the necklace to his lips.

“One pluck from this, and people will believe the sky’s pink if I tell them so. And everyone is still alive. No one’s catching me in anything, I made sure of it.” Ramone took a triumphant swig from the necklace, making sure not a drop escaped his eager mouth. The songs of birds and night bugs filled the tense silence. I watched him closely, still tugging at the ropes. If I could untie myself, I could grab Miss Rhonda and call the police. I just needed to loosen the knots just a little more…

Suddenly, Ramone gasped and stiffened up. His skin began glowing every color of the rainbow, and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. I flinched as Ramone fell on all fours, gasping and sighing in complete euphoria. He looked up at me with a sloppy, drooly grin and wide iridescent eyes, “Oh my God, you have to try this. It’s… It’s amazing.” Music edged every word Ramone spoke, turning every word into a melody. He frantically crawled towards me while I scooted back. I was nearly at the edge of the stage when I finally pulled one sweaty hand from the ropes.

“Get away from me, don’t you dare-” My voice was cut off as Ramone grabbed my face and forced my lips open, smearing lipstick all over my chin. I shoved against his chest and face, but he still managed to pour liquid music into my mouth.

“It’s so wonderful, it's everything we’ll ever need! You can't deprive yourself of this feeling! Join me Cecilia, join me please!” All I could do was sit there, my eyes staring at the endless void of the sky. Ramone’s angelic laughter rang in my head as the blissfully sweet taste spread across my tongue, seeped into my skin, and turned my body into a living rainbow.

July 07, 2023 23:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.